F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 3.5L EcoBoost,
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure what to call it. I'm sure there's not much spooling going on but I wanted to share a video of what my truck sounds like at idle now that my SPD down pipes, Wagner intercooler, CAI and the Banks cat back has been in stalled.... My tuner is still at LMS. This is on the stock tune.

Subscribe, like and tell me what you guys think. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hahahahaha. Right?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Check for a crack on the rear end of the exhaust manifold. If the sound goes away after about 30 secs, it might be that.

The way that manifold bolts up, there is weak spot where there really should be another bolt.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ill Take a look tomorrow but I am not sure I have the mental capacity to deal with another repair... Hahahahaha

·
Registered
194 Posts
Any other ideas or update on this? My truck does the same exact thing but it goes away about 20 seconds after startup

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
OP, maybe I’m missing something, but that sounds pretty normal to me on the stock tune for start up. The turbos do get spooled up on a cold start when it’s colder out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I thought so. Everything looks good, sounds great and I looked around to see if I could see things out of place but didn't notice anything. Mine also goes away after a little.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Just to give you an idea, i used a laser tachometer on my jeep turbo and the thing spins at 25,000 rpm at 760 rpm engine speed.

Thats what that video sounds like to me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't know it was that fast at idle. I knew it spun maybe 250,000 RPMs or something like that at full boost but 25k at idle. I didn't expect that. Lol

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
I found that if I change my default idle RPM to a slightly higher RPM (like 675), it skips this "spool up" process on cold start.

·
Registered
197 Posts
That’s exactly how mine sounds on stock tune. Music to my ears if I’ll be honest🤷‍♂️
But of course it doesn’t do it on any of my 5* tunes as they lower the rpm a bit.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Is there a benefit of changing the idle rpm? I may do that now...
Faster warm up. Or if you are in lower gears when the torque converter is unlocked it will warm the trans faster.

·
Premium Member
2,590 Posts
Is there a benefit of changing the idle rpm? I may do that now...
I like to let me truck idle after start up for a minute or so. It seems to warm up a tad faster. My main reason was to actually keep the spool from happening. Personal preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
So I went ahead and changed the idle neutral rpm but I still get the same spool up? Could be it because mine is a 2011?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts