F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just purchased a 2011 ECOBOOST and since I've built a few turbo cars and been in the racing world my whole life I was wondering if anyone has taken the time to put a turbo timer in their truck or if they're even compatible.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have just purchased a 2011 ECOBOOST and since I've built a few turbo cars and been in the racing world my whole life I was wondering if anyone has taken the time to put a turbo timer in their truck or if they're even compatible.
Not to sure what a turbo timer is, please explain!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds more complicated then it is, but long story short.. it's not good for a turbo to start up and immediately go or be running and immediately stop because it either isn't warm enough or is too hot. and turbo timer recognizes that so when you shut off your truck after driving and take the key out it keeps your truck running for an alotted amount of time so it cools down before shutting off. however right after I posted this I read that ford chose these turbo because they have a internal water cooled center so no turbo timer is needed but I'm still thinking of putting one in.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Basically its just so nothing shuts completely down and messes the turbos up? Kind of like a cold diesel in the morning, not great to run them hard when its a cold start up and its a good idea to let it cool down before shutting off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
exactly, but that doesn't just apply to diesels. everyone thinks that because most diesels are turbo motors but timers were made for any motor with a turbo.. just just during cool down process it doesn't sludge up and end up ruining seals and bearings.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think I posted this on this forum but in my CAT truck engines I always installed a simple egg timer wired to the ignition. When I wanted to shut the engine off I just set the timer to 5 minutes, 7 minutes or whatever. When the timer shut off so did the engine. Never had anything for startup other then just letting the truck idle until it got up close to operating temperature. If you go to a truck dealer such as Perterbilt and go to there parts department they should know what I am talking about.

·
Registered
138 Posts
You have a few options here for sure. Egg timer is a effective and cheaper way to have the same end result. Timers can get pricy thou but wit all the fancy options that come with a aftermarket alarm you can add that and it's set there and there is no headaches with wiring. I have my truck going in next week for a alarm after I have ford look over some things, the setup is part of the remote start and to set it the make a sequence to your liking. Mine will be park ebrake turn off key arm alarm and it will run for five minutes and shut down. Options are there, hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am sure most of us did not know that option was there. These trucks are complicated with many options many of us are not aware of.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You have a few options here for sure. Egg timer is a effective and cheaper way to have the same end result. Timers can get pricy thou but wit all the fancy options that come with a aftermarket alarm you can add that and it's set there and there is no headaches with wiring. I have my truck going in next week for a alarm after I have ford look over some things, the setup is part of the remote start and to set it the make a sequence to your liking. Mine will be park ebrake turn off key arm alarm and it will run for five minutes and shut down. Options are there, hope this helps you out.
useful information I appreciate that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
blackbettyboost
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing