F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Lariat 4WD
119 Posts
Joe, welcome to the forum.

In reference to the EM from Turbosmart, when I initially replaced my failed factory BOV after putting in a new diaphragm only for it to tear and begin losing boost all over again I went with the Turbosmart Veeport EM which I believe you are referencing.

It was very quickly replaced with a full mechanical Turbosmart Smart-port supersonic BOV.

Why?

First let me just say it is definitely well made.

However it is basically a mechanical BOV controlled by the ECU in the vehicle.

I was experiencing premature venting on my EM, thinking that it could be adjusted. But it is not adjustable and the ECU still controls it. The EM would open and close and bleed and dump boost at random times. Sometimes at low RPM's, but primarily (for me) at highway speeds in overdrive with the cruise control on, when the truck would accelerate it would dump boost instead of using it to keep the speed. My theory anyway.

Tried to have it adjusted via my tuner guy, but after multiple tries we abandoned it in favor of a full mechanical unit which came with a pigtail that plugs into the factory EBOV harness and lets the ECU do its thing and prevents a CEL.

Funny thing is, when I started having problems with it, I began doing some research and came across a random Youtube video where this guy had very similar issues that I was having with the same TS BOV. Let me see if I can find it again and will post it in a follow up comment.

Your mileage may vary, but for me, full mechanical was the way to go, which I should have done the first time.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: RyEcoBeast

·
Registered
2015 Lariat 4WD
119 Posts
Found it. The channel is called "let me live"

·
Premium Member
697 Posts
Has any had any issues with these?
What year and size engine? Do you mean the electronic VeePort as mentioned by TangoMike?
I have a VeePort on my 2017 2.7. Works very well and no problems since installed a year ago. I have no premature venting. I have no symptoms described by TangoMike or in the linked video. The idea that the VeePort changes the AFR somehow is ill-founded as removing the bypass does not affect it. My F150 does not use intake MAF in that manner the AFR is adjusted with MAP sensors at the throttle and in the manifold. KM

·
Registered
2015 Lariat 4WD
119 Posts
As butthead stated, your mileage (experience) may be different than mine or that guy in the video. After trying various different things in tuning and not coming to a viable fix I opted to go full mechanical and am happy.

And yes, again, as butthead stated, the BOV does not affect AFR. It is just a relief valve.

Like I said, for me...I sent it back. Could it have been faulty? Sure! Could it have been operator error? Absolutely!

·
Registered
2015 Lariat 4WD
119 Posts
Just to be clear, I do not believe the issues I had were AFR related, it may have just been something off in the tune in relation to the way the factory EBOV operated. Which is no fault of the tuner, as far as I am aware on these motors they generally do not even mess with anything to do with the EBOV because they do not have to. I could be wrong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Joe, welcome to the forum.

In reference to the EM from Turbosmart, when I initially replaced my failed factory BOV after putting in a new diaphragm only for it to tear and begin losing boost all over again I went with the Turbosmart Veeport EM which I believe you are referencing.

It was very quickly replaced with a full mechanical Turbosmart Smart-port supersonic BOV.

Why?

First let me just say it is definitely well made.

However it is basically a mechanical BOV controlled by the ECU in the vehicle.

I was experiencing premature venting on my EM, thinking that it could be adjusted. But it is not adjustable and the ECU still controls it. The EM would open and close and bleed and dump boost at random times. Sometimes at low RPM's, but primarily (for me) at highway speeds in overdrive with the cruise control on, when the truck would accelerate it would dump boost instead of using it to keep the speed. My theory anyway.

Tried to have it adjusted via my tuner guy, but after multiple tries we abandoned it in favor of a full mechanical unit which came with a pigtail that plugs into the factory EBOV harness and lets the ECU do its thing and prevents a CEL.

Funny thing is, when I started having problems with it, I began doing some research and came across a random Youtube video where this guy had very similar issues that I was having with the same TS BOV. Let me see if I can find it again and will post it in a follow up comment.

Your mileage may vary, but for me, full mechanical was the way to go, which I should have done the first time.

Hope that helps.
Yo, bud
Hey I appreciate the video for reference, my truck is a 2020 3.5 ecoboost with Roughly 7000 miles on it. After watching the video It makes complete sense of why you have premature Venting I am not really sure what the problem was I bought the VE August of last year Didn't have any issues with it really that I had noticed I am new to the whole turbo thing. I don't drive the vehicle too much considering I have a work vehicle, But just recently noticed after last weekend driving around That it was that venting at all!! I talked with customer service from Turbo smart had asked me do I do a lot off roading or drive-in the snow. Off roading no snow occasionally. Told me after I drive-in a lot of snow that their valve Should be cleaned and oiled. Which it did not describe that in the instructions. I disconnected it yesterday, took took it apart the cylinder was completely seized in the housing I cleaned, oiled and reinstalled. It is now venting but I am not sure if I created any damage with my turbos. Such a pain in the ass being new to it all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yo, bud
Hey I appreciate the video for reference, my truck is a 2020 3.5 ecoboost with Roughly 7000 miles on it. After watching the video It makes complete sense of why you have premature Venting I am not really sure what the problem was I bought the VE August of last year Didn't have any issues with it really that I had noticed I am new to the whole turbo thing. I don't drive the vehicle too much considering I have a work vehicle, But just recently noticed after last weekend driving around That it was that venting at all!! I talked with customer service from Turbo smart had asked me do I do a lot off roading or drive-in the snow. Off roading no snow occasionally. Told me after I drive-in a lot of snow that their valve Should be cleaned and oiled. Which it did not describe that in the instructions. I disconnected it yesterday, took took it apart the cylinder was completely seized in the housing I cleaned, oiled and reinstalled. It is now venting but I am not sure if I created any damage with my turbos. Such a pain in the ass being new to it all.
And on top of that you would think Turbosmart would have came up with some kind of a deflector from snow and dirt if that causes those kind of issues.

·
Registered
2015 Lariat 4WD
119 Posts
Glad you got to the bottom of it!

The funny thing is I do not think it was listed in the instructions for mine either, but just looked in the box for the Super Sonic and it lists the same procedure you mentioned that TS advised you to do. The interval for the Super Sonic is every oil change, so it will be added to my maintenance requirements.

We rarely have snow here and I don't off road, but they do salt or brine the roads in the winter months so it will be wise to remove and clean the thing. Appreciate the info...(and I should have read the entire instruction manual haha)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts