F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have to build a new motor... thoughts and ideas? I have full bolt ons and I don’t want to let go of the truck so it’s getting a motor build. Any info and ideas are much appreciated!

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
Hate to see anyone have that, hope the rebuild goes well. SSI claims another one.

How many miles and what were you doing when it blew up? Did it vent the block or is it just knocking or something?

Keep us posted on motor build/replacement.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have no hard feelings towards Sean or SSI, I know what I did to the truck, I know how I drove it, I’m not somebody to place blame where it’s not due. He gave me exactly what I wanted and with prompt courteous service. I drove the truck hard, I enjoyed it. Things break when you push them hard. The truck was taken care of and I loved it. Stuff happens, i suffer from this thing called accountability and honesty. I took the truck to Moab and took the trails most people wouldn’t dare, I got the funny looks. I spooled up on other car enthusiasts, I roasted tires, I slid corners, I sped up for the good bumps around town. I drove the truck like I built it to do. Unfortunately I need a little more infrastructure to back up what I’m asking the truck for. I’m not made of money, I’m blue collar, and I work for the things I have. I enjoy the things I have, I live a little. Now it’s time to bust my ass some extra hours and be frugal so I can enjoy something else... Any ideas or cool considerations are greatly appreciated, the truck is special to me and a super cool build, looking to bring her back better than before without my girlfriend taking the dog and leaving, haha.

Ryan I sent you an email.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I launched her on to the on ramp of the hwy while leaving a Subaru in the dust. Till it made some subtle weird jingle noises and lost power. All guages were good, no smoke, no oil spewing. Let off and she had noticeable power loss, limped her to the next exit, as soon as I pulled off the exit there was a good knock or two and then oil pressure was gone.... white smoke like a freight train from hell, im guessing coolant and oil hitting the turbo on drivers side, key off and a coast in to a Longhorn Steakhouse. Coolant and oil dripping. Found a couple pea size pieces of metal on the skid plate. Haven’t looked at it yet. Is it safe to say a pin let loose and the piston broke through the open deck and through the block? I couldn’t see any noticeable damage from under the hood and under the truck, it’s def drivers side and it was half coolant and oil. Def chunks of block on the skid plate.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Much more uneventful than I’d ever suspect, I was always thinking there’d be a violent bang like a tank sending a projectile in to orbit, maybe see paint burst off the hood as a piston almost pierces through like Bruce Lee breaking wood, haha. Nothing was cool besides the billow of white smoke... def not eventful enough for the money I’m going to have to spend, haha! I’d much rather light smoke bombs in my culdesac. Jingle jingle like Santa’s bells, real sad sluggish not wanting to go anywhere, then pop pop like a couple dud fireworks, then the lame ass smoke show for 1.8sec behind the truck. No Sylvester Stallone First Blood stuff!

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
Refreshing, in my opinion.

Your attitude, I mean.

I have had a few toys that fit that category. They had one purpose..... To show me what you got!

Particularly fond memories of a Saturday Night bomber class car. (Dirt track) Then a fully tube frame IMCA modified.

A couple of track bikes. (road racing)

And almost every dirt bike I have or ever had.

But........ Not my beloved truck!

Still, I appreciate your take. Now I'm a fan of whatever you build.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Much more uneventful than I’d ever suspect, I was always thinking there’d be a violent bang like a tank sending a projectile in to orbit, maybe see paint burst off the hood as a piston almost pierces through like Bruce Lee breaking wood, haha. Nothing was cool besides the billow of white smoke... def not eventful enough for the money I’m going to have to spend, haha! I’d much rather light smoke bombs in my culdesac. Jingle jingle like Santa’s bells, real sad sluggish not wanting to go anywhere, then pop pop like a couple dud fireworks, then the lame ass smoke show for 1.8sec behind the truck. No Sylvester Stallone First Blood stuff!
I’ve only blew one engine up in my lifetime. It was an old school V8. I kind of had the same feeling. Doing a major burn out, enjoying the V8 rumble and right as I was going to let off the gas I had one loud bang and crickets as I coasted to the next block to get off the main road. Snapped a camshaft and one rod in half.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sorry to hear about the damage and sorry to hear it wasn't enough Fast and Furious Kaboom for you. lol Looking forward to watch your build progress.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Soooo... worked a bunch of extra hours and sold a unused toy or two... weighed some options, made countless phone calls and pulled the trigger on a long block and a set of 42mm turbos. Super pumped and just waiting on shipping of both items. Planning on posting some cool pics of the parts as well as the instillation process. Think I’m gonna have valve covers, intercooler piping, and air box hydro dipped. Also weighing some tuning options. Not looking to set any records or push the limit. Just looking for something to make me grin and have a great daily. Gonna order some turbo spacers after I post this and use all my bolt ons. Might dabble in some downpipes and fueling around Christmas time.

Current setup will be-

-New long block
  • upr dirty and clean catch can
  • Wagner intercooler
  • turbo smart bov welded in charge pipe
  • optima red top
  • msd ignition coils
  • afe intake with custom air box
  • mbrp hot and cold intercooler piping
  • SCT livewire ts+
  • mbrp exhaust with resignator delete
  • king coilovers
  • camburg uniball upper control arms
  • 2017 raptor rear shocks
  • 42mm turbos
  • toyo open country mt 35s
  • kmc machete 17 beadlocks
  • turbo adapters
My buddy and I have a shop and plan on doing the install.
Any recommendations are appreciated especially regarding tuning and projected guesstimates on hp for a reliable daily tune. I’m not dabbling in e30 or anything like that, it’ll be a 91tune at elevation in CO. E85 will happen around Christmas when I address intank and high pressure fueling as well as downpipes.

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
A few people have said the MSD coils aren't as good as the OEM.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’ve read that as well. I was struggling to find a misfire issue. It seemed to have solved the issue. I’ll run them on the fresh build and see how it goes. I purchased some new OEM injectors for the fresh build as well. Just waiting 2weeks ish till my motor ships. Might take this weekend to rob some parts off the truck to be hydrodipped. Stoked on the turbos and the upcoming build!

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
1,337 Posts
Very rare that the FoMoCo coils fail, in reality.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Are you going to replace with a stock motor and lighter tune? Or what are you planning to prevent this from happening again?

·
Premium Member
7,367 Posts
Are you going to replace with a stock motor and lighter tune? Or what are you planning to prevent this from happening again?
Yea, I'm hoping he gets some forged pieces in the short block, right? Amazing motors, but some very low hanging fruit to upgrade in that oem bottom end.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Ill guess you might be able to touch 425 rwhp before you run out of turbo at 5500', although, with a very strong tune may be able to push the turbos and get a little more.

My stock 2014 turbos are pretty much maxed at 365 crank at 6500'.

·
Premium Member
3,160 Posts
Ill guess you might be able to touch 425 rwhp before you run out of turbo at 5500', although, with a very strong tune may be able to push the turbos and get a little more.

My stock 2014 turbos are pretty much maxed at 365 crank at 6500'.
Just my opinion, but fuel quality and octane will have a huge impact on what he can make. A good 93 tune with those turbos on that truck is looking like 425 absolute max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
7,486 Posts
Just my opinion, but fuel quality and octane will have a huge impact on what he can make. A good 93 tune with those turbos on that truck is looking like 425 absolute max.

Oh yeah. I’ve blown 2 stock motors 475 and like 435 whp or less hp on good 93. Problem is also some tricks we learned over the years of tearing down of even built engines with a built bottom end have proven to be worth more than weight in gold.

Not just any hone and not just any torque plate produces results indicative of longevity of piston skirts due to very high cylinder pressure. We tried an in house build for R&D and didn’t torque plate hone it. 500 whp. Nothing nuts. Open deck. Piston skirts were galled and scuffed like I’d never believe. 14 changes later to torque plates we have gen1 and Gen2 down to a science to where skirt wear due to open cylinder block is almost none existent

1 - 20 of 36 Posts