F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

81 - 100 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
Uhhhhh boys, I found the problem, 110%. I don’t want to say and build anticipation! You’re all going to laugh a deep belly laugh like jolly old Santa
Sensor unplugged... Vac line unplugged...

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Reactions: EcoGrizzly

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I appreciate everyone’s help and I’ve learned a bunch of cool stuff! Bunch of solid guys on here! So basically I had a super long day and night initially pulling and dressing the engine. We were contemplating working late in to the night to get her done but I was melting down mentally. I take full responsibility for the fiasco. I was in charge of installing the hpfp and I forgot the fuel pump cam shaft follower in the previous engine. I feel like a simpleton and things happen. New follower will be here at 11am and installed. Results tomorrow, my buddy is gonna give her the test run, he deserves it after all his help and my fumble. He didn’t charge me anything extra and refused cash when offered for all the additional troubleshooting and part installs. Unfortunately I signed up to work an extended shift tomorrow and I won’t be getting off till later in the evening. Might not even go get the truck till Friday after work. Will post and update, super excited but dumbfounded by my own oversight. Thanks again and have a laugh at my expense! Life goes on, haha. Hope to do a intank pump modification here real soon.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
You should have done a crank relearn no matter what, so good.

A smoke test wont do anything. The PCM is functioning properly, it sees boost building but not enough fuel, it is shutting it down before it hurts it self.

Low fuel is low fuel. Most, with properly running trucks, that get the 0087 code, is bad HPFP. You have a faulty part or a wire issue. If you have checked the entire fuel system, next check the actual rails under the intake. Did you mess with these at all or the injectors? You can also check the mini cylinder that drives the HPFP.

SInce you have a tuner, log fuel rail pressure desired and fuel rail pressue actual. Look at those numbers, the actual should be significantly before the desired if throwing that code.
If it is a new motor, does it even have the little cylinder? lol. Also that has to be oiled.

·
Premium Member
7,653 Posts
I told you to check that. You could have saved a lot of trouble if you’d just listened to me. :) :)
I know, right?

Thumbs up @WooBoost

OP, one thing for sure, those head scratching skull banging relentlessly evasive problems, once the culprit is discovered, IT ALL MAKES SENSE.

Congratulations. You earned it.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
7,501 Posts
99% of the time it is something silly but critical. We had three guys 5 days trouble shooting a new truck racing wire on a alum radiator on a raptor

Then my wife walks by. Goes that things sparking behind grille. Ford didn’t install the electrical connector in the retainer which holds it so it leaned up against the rad. Fixed 5 days later in passing by wife

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81 - 100 of 175 Posts