F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to test out the Goodyear Ultra Terrain tires in 5 plus inches of snow and ice. We don't get it much, have no road maintaince done back off main highway. They done great on hills on unplowed roads, also used snow/wet mode which was impressive.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Good to hear - where in TN?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Near Jackson tn.

Reactions: F150RTR

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Near Jackson tn.
Jackson is only 45 minutes from my hometown of Dyersburg. I live in Memphis now for school.

Small world!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
32 Posts
Nice! Murfreesboro here! Had a pretty decent time on my Toyo Open Country AT2's but there were a couple times the open diff didn't want to play ball...mostly from a stop on an uphill section or in a bumpy/rutted icy parking lot from a stop. Quick 4H switch and all was well. Snow/Wet mode was great tho and did all the work this week. I also left it in Normal and the traction control system did much of the same if spinning from a stop, cut power big time but allowed the truck to steadily move forward which was nice. Turn it off and have a blast. I already loved my truck but now even more so!

Matt

·
Registered
67 Posts
I really wish they made those tires in a non-LT version. Was the primary reason I went with the Falkens.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Got to test out the Goodyear Ultra Terrain tires in 5 plus inches of snow and ice. We don't get it much, have no road maintaince done back off main highway. They done great on hills on unplowed roads, also used snow/wet mode which was impressive.
Yup they are great tires, love mine.... I'll add they are a great daily driver tire, do great on the freeway, no loud sound and wear evenly.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I wish they had some more size options.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I wish they had a non-LT version in 275/65/18!

Reactions: roxbury29

·
Registered
14 Posts
I wish they had a non-LT version in 275/65/18!
^ I am with you there. Went to look at these tires, the DT guy said for an LT -they are fairly light, but as noisy as Duratracs

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
^ I am with you there. Went to look at these tires, the DT guy said for an LT -they are fairly light, but as noisy as Duratracs
I didnt think Duratracs were all that noisy. I wanna say my KO2’s hum more on both of my F150 and Lexus than my Duratracs did.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I didnt think Duratracs were all that noisy. I wanna say my KO2’s hum more on both of my F150 and Lexus than my Duratracs did.
On my JEEP my Duratracs Humm pretty loud ( but I always drive without a TOP or DOORS ) compared to my Ridge Grapplers on my F150. at Discount tire he said the Ultra-terrain humm as much as duratracs. My next tire will likely be the General Grabber ATX in the fall, just to try something different and less expensive.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
On my JEEP my Duratracs Humm pretty loud ( but I always drive without a TOP or DOORS ) compared to my Ridge Grapplers on my F150. at Discount tire he said the Ultra-terrain humm as much as duratracs. My next tire will likely be the General Grabber ATX in the fall, just to try something different and less expensive.
Ive had 4 sets. They were def quieter on my truck than my KO2’s. The other ones were on my old Jeep and they replaced some Blizzaks and were no louder than those.

If you dont rotate the crap out of the Duratracs they will get wonky and can get loud.

·
Registered
67 Posts
GY Ultraterrain - 50 lbs (LT)
GY DuraTrac - 47 lbs (non-LT)
BFG KO2 - 56 lbs (LT)
Falken Wildpeak AT3 - 47 lbs (my current tire, non-LT)
GY Fortitude HT - 38 lbs (my OE tire, non-LT)

All tires stock size 275/65/18. Weight values taken from Discount website.

FWIW, I took 1.5 to 2 mpg hit when I got the Falkens. I knew this going in, but if you want an all-terrain tire you gotta pay to play.

I've had DuraTracs before and loved them. I just don't need them now. And yes you must rotate them frequently to maximize tread life.

I would hope that a non-LT Ultraterrain would weigh less than 47 lbs. Discount/GY are you listening? :):):):)

·
Registered
14 Posts
GY Ultraterrain - 50 lbs (LT)
GY DuraTrac - 47 lbs (non-LT)
BFG KO2 - 56 lbs (LT)
Falken Wildpeak AT3 - 47 lbs (my current tire, non-LT)
GY Fortitude HT - 38 lbs (my OE tire, non-LT)

All tires stock size 275/65/18. Weight values taken from Discount website.

FWIW, I took 1.5 to 2 mpg hit when I got the Falkens. I knew this going in, but if you want an all-terrain tire you gotta pay to play.

I've had DuraTracs before and loved them. I just don't need them now. And yes you must rotate them frequently to maximize tread life.

I would hope that a non-LT Ultraterrain would weigh less than 47 lbs. Discount/GY are you listening? :):):):)
^
NON-LT - Nitto RIDGE GRAPPLER - 46lbs. ( current tire )
NON-LT - General GRABBER ATX - 45lbs. ( my next tire ) @ $200 each

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
I usually try to find LT C range tires if non-LT’s are not available. They usually don’t weigh much more than their non-LT counterparts. I am currently running an LT315/70R17 c-range KO2 on my truck and a LT285/70R17 c-range KO2 on my lexus gx. Both ride smooth, like a non-LT.

I really havent looked to in depth at the Ultraterrains since Discount Tires website kinda sucks with regards to comparing all the sizes. Tirerack has one big table with all the specs for all the sizes, but of course they dont carry the Ultraterrains.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I upgraded my stock tires to the Ultra Terrain over this last winter as well! They were just awesome in a MN winter. Only issue is that I think I lost close to 3-4 mpg with them at about 42 PSI! I was expecting something in the 1-2 range, so little disappointed that I am now averaging close to 17 flat when I was averaging just over 20.... It's made me think about getting a new set of rims/tires for the summer. Anyone else with Ultra Terrain's lost this much MPG? Can't imagine it's just me?

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,246 Posts
I upgraded my stock tires to the Ultra Terrain over this last winter as well! They were just awesome in a MN winter. Only issue is that I think I lost close to 3-4 mpg with them at about 42 PSI! I was expecting something in the 1-2 range, so little disappointed that I am now averaging close to 17 flat when I was averaging just over 20.... It's made me think about getting a new set of rims/tires for the summer. Anyone else with Ultra Terrain's lost this much MPG? Can't imagine it's just me?
Did you go with taller than you had or LT or ?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,246 Posts
Well then. LT are alot heavier than passenger tires.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts