F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 f150 xlt
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 13 3.5 EcoBoost engine took a crap. Ordered remanufactured from LKQ. New engine doesn't have have mounting holes for turbo support brackets. Spoke to my local ford dealership said it was deleted in 14. Can anyone tell me why .

·
Registered
20 Posts
From a manufacturer standpoint, if the brackets are determined to not be an essential piece and the removal of them can save 10 cents on production costs, it will get the axe. 10 cents might not sound like a lot, but multiply that times how many tens of thousands of these trucks are made per year and it adds up.

It's always about money.

·
Premium Member
7,362 Posts
Hundreds of thousands. Literally

And I agree with the premise that miniscule co$t savings are decided in favor based on that scale.

No other explanation for the alternator to be turned off, or the oil pump to be relieved of normal pumping pressure.

Except it's actually not zero co$t to engineer all the circuitry to control those needless functions. Rather the CAFE carrot dangled in front of Ford.

I despise those kinds of incentives. They are NOT to benefit the truck owner.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2013 f150 xlt
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hundreds of thousands. Literally

And I agree with the premise that miniscule co$t savings are decided in favor based on that scale.

No other explanation for the alternator to be turned off, or the oil pump to be relieved of normal pumping pressure.

Except it's actually not zero co$t to engineer all the circuitry to control those needless functions. Rather the CAFE carrot dangled in front of Ford.

I despise those kinds of incentives. They are NOT to benefit the truck owner.

Great info. Maybe my question should be why we're support brackets used to begin with

·
Premium Member
7,362 Posts
Great info. Maybe my question should be why we're support brackets used to begin with
That I can't answer sir.

But there's got to be an explanation, whether we ever hear it or not.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That I can't answer sir.

But there's got to be an explanation, whether we ever hear it or not.

From the outside reading I've done on production, essentially the engineering team will design something, then when it comes time to gear up production, the bean counters step in and start pushing whatever cost cutting measures in whatever areas they can.

If you watch the documentary on netflix called "A faster horse" about the making of the s550 mustang, you'll see the big meeting they had to call regarding implementing a longer stud for a wheel well liner nut. It was an essential piece because the production line kept getting stopped due to the workers fumbling with getting the nut or clip on. Despite being a necessity, it still was a big stink before it got approved, all over a couple cents per car.

I'm sure this happens over the course of model years as well, like in this instance. These brackets would be a good example. Not only do you save money on the parts, you save money on the hardware AND the machining and tapping of the bolt holes to accommodate those brackets.

·
Premium Member
7,362 Posts
But then there's the view from the consumer.......

With the F150 specifically, and the XLT as the medium example of the F150, they have the consumer TRAINED to expect $10,000 discounts, or more.

Regardless of the real reason for that to be established as the norm, it results in the penny pinching in certain manufacturing decisions to come across as absurd.

And with all that as a premise, it's even crazier to defend when the consumer chooses a MUCH smaller discount for a fully dolled up ~$65,000+ trim. Afterall, you can buy TWO STX F150's for the price of a Limited. So your brain tells you the profit in the Limited would be plenty for Ford to hide a few $10 improvements on the assembly line without losing a single sell.

Give me my dang forged piston in the Twin Turbo 100HP per liter powerhouse. Lol

Reactions: Arkansas Eco
1 - 7 of 7 Posts