F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Undercarriage car wash without skid plates safe?

So....... my 16 3.5 EB went in to dealership under warranty to get the timing cover leak fixed and they got everything covered in oil. I went to do my first oil change since I took it in and it looks horrible, it blows my mind that these guys did this. I’m thinking it may have happened when they were filling it up and the one fell out of the refill tube and when they originally took out the filter. The cv boots, under the alternator, everywhere! The pics below is after I wiped most of it off. I am not comfortable because i wouldn’t ever, for the life of the truck, would be ever able to see any new leaks that may occur if I leave it this way. Over time, fuel dilution and oil on all the rubber will just eat away at it as well. I wanted to know if anyone has ever had this happen? I’m a decent ways away from a car wash with undercarriage spray, so the engine will be at full operating temp if I attempt this.

Attachments

·
Registered
533 Posts
Remember, oil and water don't mix. Unless you have a way to get a serious degreaser into that undercarriage wash, you won't get rid of half of that mess.

I personally would drive it right back to the dealer and raise holy hell until they had it up on a lift with a few guys with degreaser/turpentine/etc. soaked rags cleaning it all up. They made the mess, they should fix it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Remember, oil and water don't mix. Unless you have a way to get a serious degreaser into that undercarriage wash, you won't get rid of half of that mess.

I personally would drive it right back to the dealer and raise holy hell until they had it up on a lift with a few guys with degreaser/turpentine/etc. soaked rags cleaning it all up. They made the mess, they should fix it.
that is my first thought, but atm i am having trust issues with the dealership. it took me leaving them a bad review after they stated they would not cover the original leak. two days after i left a horrendous review their warranty manager called me in and told me they would cover it, they made a mistake. I have to get the exhaust manifold gaskets replaced now (still under 60k miles) and am thinking about taking it to the dealership 1 city over in hopes they want to earn my business so they will clean it up when they do the gaskets.......

·
Registered
533 Posts
that is my first thought, but atm i am having trust issues with the dealership. it took me leaving them a bad review after they stated they would not cover the original leak. two days after i left a horrendous review their warranty manager called me in and told me they would cover it, they made a mistake. I have to get the exhaust manifold gaskets replaced now (still under 60k miles) and am thinking about taking it to the dealership 1 city over in hopes they want to earn my business so they will clean it up when they do the gaskets.......
I would at least make the offending dealer clean up their mess. Don't trust them? I get that. I'd take my chair and sit out by the bay and watch them. Sit there and sip on a beverage while they clean up their screw-up.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would at least make the offending dealer clean up their mess. Don't trust them? I get that. I'd take my chair and sit out by the bay and watch them. Sit there and sip on a beverage while they clean up their screw-up.
i would deffo do that if it was possible, no dealership will let you watch due to "liability" and will tell you to leave. i changed my oil on sunday and get ticked off about it every evening before i go to bed. talked to the service manager today and was told Pete, "my best tech", did the work and he though it was highly doubtful the mess came from them. "we always clean up the area that we work on, was the timing cover clean? we wont clean your whole truck, just the area we work on". "Dude I change my own fluids, you guys are the only ones that touched it since my last oil change. So you didnt have to drain the oil or fill it back up when you pulled the cover off?" It's like telling the guy at the fast food register their food sucks and completing the order, expecting to not get spit in your food when you recieve it...... Im going to have to cancel that friday appointment, gonna give corporate a call and see if they can reach out to another dealer to get it cleaned up. My warranty is almost over and I dont feel like losing more money over this bs.

·
Registered
533 Posts
i would deffo do that if it was possible, no dealership will let you watch due to "liability" and will tell you to leave. i changed my oil on sunday and get ticked off about it every evening before i go to bed. talked to the service manager today and was told Pete, "my best tech", did the work and he though it was highly doubtful the mess came from them. "we always clean up the area that we work on, was the timing cover clean? we wont clean your whole truck, just the area we work on". "Dude I change my own fluids, you guys are the only ones that touched it since my last oil change. So you didnt have to drain the oil or fill it back up when you pulled the cover off?" It's like telling the guy at the fast food register their food sucks and completing the order, expecting to not get spit in your food when you recieve it...... Im going to have to cancel that friday appointment, gonna give corporate a call and see if they can reach out to another dealer to get it cleaned up. My warranty is almost over and I dont feel like losing more money over this bs.
Funny, I watch mine all the time. It's my truck... I walk out there like I own the place. I do the same when I have my oil changed (it's worth $20 to have someone with a large hole in the ground do the work, versus me getting greasy, as long as it's done under my watchful eye) or tires worked on.

If they don't like it? Cool, I'll take my business elsewhere. Want me to sign a waiver? No prob.

I doubt another dealer is going to want to help you, because there probably isn't a warranty code for "cleaning up previous dumbass tech's mess".

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the reason I change my own. Take my time, put a catch can right under the filter>>>>no oil over anything.
I do all of the fluid changes myself, my truck was taken in for other reasons, this is an example of why I don't trust them. I change my oil every 3500-4500 ish miles depending on how much I tow. Have changed it over a dozen times with no issues but yet this happens the first time they drain and fill it. I ended up cancelling the appointment for tomorrow, I'm losing sleep over this and the only way to guarantee I wont lose anymore sleep is to clean it myself.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I do all of the fluid changes myself, my truck was taken in for other reasons, this is an example of why I don't trust them. I change my oil every 3500-4500 ish miles depending on how much I tow. Have changed it over a dozen times with no issues but yet this happens the first time they drain and fill it. I ended up cancelling the appointment for tomorrow, I'm losing sleep over this and the only way to guarantee I wont lose anymore sleep is to clean it myself.
Then I would document it and send them a bill for your time. If they fail to pay, take them to small claims court. They probably won't even show up... then you can move for summary judgement and then file a lien against their property.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Then I would document it and send them a bill for your time. If they fail to pay, take them to small claims court. They probably won't even show up... then you can move for summary judgement and then file a lien against their property.
Sounds like an awesome plan, i'll get right on it! i actually took it in to another dealership in my area. The service associate i gave my truck was actually more personal with me. This dealership, the bays are not behind closed doors and i can actually sit there and watch them work on my truck, which i wont cause i dont have the time to sit there. They saw the mess the other dealership made and said they would clean it off for me, not full detail, but enough for me to locate any new oil leaks. On friday of last week, my truck actually loss power 3x (Hill assist errors/check engine light/erratic idle/check engine 2112 code) and I had to trun it off. When I got home I immediately called other dealership and they put me on to a number I was able to get a free tow from. I had a scheduled appointment with them for tuesday of this week, but my service associate said that they would attempt to get it in earlier if possible. On Saturday i called them to see if they would be able to get to it in and they told me they were swamped, but I was first in line for monday. That was good enough for me. On monday afternoon they called me and told me there were a few things that were lose from the last person who touched my truck and they had left aThinn mess. They were also able to hear the gasket leaks I was talking about, but needed it for one more day to verify. They only heard it when the truck was cold and didnt have time to let it idle to get hot and take it for a longer drive due to time of day...... On tuesday, before lunch, they called me and told me they ordered 2 new exhaust manifolds, gaskets, studs, and other required stuff they needed to change them and that my truck was ready for pick up till parts arrive because it was now driveable and wiped down..... I'm glad the truck has found a place that actually gives a damn and associates know what they are talking about and trat you the way you expect.

·
Registered
240 Posts
You must be fun at parties

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just got my truck back from the place that cares a couple days ago. Prior to my appointment for the manifolds, the truck started stopping again so the truck was back at the dealership via tow truck, prior to them getting the manifolds in. They hooked me up with a loaner I used for about 30 days and 1500+ miles of commute, replaced the manifolds and gaskets I suspected were leaking, replaced the sticking throttle body and wiped down the mess the other dealership left. They refused to go beyond that, but atleast i can see if something is leaking. I've drove the truck for over 100 miles now and am regaining confidence that I will no longer have to trade it in and start off fresh on a new vehicle. Retirement is around the corner and the last thing I want to have is a car payment to worry about. A lot of time was taken because they would not replace my throttle body under the 60k powertrain becuase it would always say "not covered" when they typed part number into system. However, my service advisor did his job and advised me to call up ford to open up a case number. The wait for the response/ dealer back and forth was about half the time Luckily they had one on hand when they got the green light to fix it. Thank god, they gave me a 19 2.7 with 1.8k miles on it to drive. Loved the truck for a few days, but after a week the 10 spd started to get on my nerves. tooooo many shift point! Just wanted to close out the thread and give yall the end results stating there is a possibility that my next vehicle, 10 years down the line, may just be another Ford!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
6 Participants
bn30813
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing