F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 F150 EB with the built-in break control unit and electronic sway control setting. This past weekend was the first time that I had been able to tow with my new truck. I was very pleased how the truck performed, but didn't quite understand the Electronic Sway control. I did some experimenting with it and found it did help when on the highway, but was concerned with slow speed turning. I was turning into the campground (and later a gas station) and it sounded like my rear brakes were locking up during the turn. Is this normal? Should I had turned the sway control off first? Any info would be very helpful.:confused:

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've never had mine come on with slow speed, only at higher speeds that I have heard it. Do you have a locker on the rear axel? Maybe it was on.

Reactions: EcoMax

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never had mine come on with slow speed, only at higher speeds that I have heard it. Do you have a locker on the rear axel? Maybe it was on.
I don't think so. What I'm talking about is a Round knob on dash that says On/off. With on- shows traction control icon on dash. My understanding about this system is that it uses the rear brakes to help control trailer sway. I tried it again at lunch, with it on and turning slowly- feels like my rear tires are locking up.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hmm.. I have never had that feeling of the tires locking up. You may want to go to the dealer with the trailer on to make sure the settings are on. I have pulled a couple different trailers with mine & never had anything at the slow speed. The trailer sway control is though the dash settings. Round control on the dash? Can you maybe post a picture of that? The only round knob I can think of would be the 4x4 control. If you are in 4x4 you will get a feeling of tires locking up due to the friction of the front tires. My traction control is a button above the MFD in the centre of the dash.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Thje round knob is for traction control not sway control. As stated by toxic "the sway control is through the dash settings".

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok...I'm a big goof. After reading the replys and doing a little more research- it appears that is my Electronic Locking Differential. Since my truck is only a 2WD, I didn't think it had this and my dealer told me it was Sway control. Now it makes sense. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
271 Posts
No worries, it happens. That is why we are all here for.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Do you have a plastic bag of parts in your glove box or door storage bin? If you do, your dealer probably didn't tell you about them either. If you do have these parts they so truck is able to charge the battery in your trailer. It is a fuse and a relay. The relay goes in position #9 in your fuse box and the fuse goes in position #21. Check your owners manual under towing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you have a plastic bag of parts in your glove box or door storage bin? If you do, your dealer probably didn't tell you about them either. If you do have these parts they so truck is able to charge the battery in your trailer. It is a fuse and a relay. The relay goes in position #9 in your fuse box and the fuse goes in position #21. Check your owners manual under towing.
Thanks for the info Wayne. That was covered by the salesman and I installed them before the trip.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Thanks for the info Wayne. That was covered by the salesman and I installed them before the trip.
Hey that's great. My salesman and dealer didnt' know anything about it. I'm pleased that some dealers are aware of those parts.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Trailer#2.jpg Trailer&Truck#2.jpg

I've towed trailers since 1970 and the Ford Towing setup is the best I've ever towed with. I towed all across the country last summer and it was great. It comes closer to not needing adjustments to anything created so far. The only thing I do is set the controls higher when in high speed heavy traffic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bah! My dealer (Fresno Lithia) did not. I read this post and went out to the truck, there was the fuse & relay. I have not done much towing, lucky me. I am getting ready to haul a trailer full of stuff from CA to ID, the reason I finally joined this board.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Bah! My dealer (Fresno Lithia) did not. I read this post and went out to the truck, there was the fuse & relay. I have not done much towing, lucky me. I am getting ready to haul a trailer full of stuff from CA to ID, the reason I finally joined this board.
Glad you read the post about the fuse and relay. We towed our trailer all over the South last winter and I often wondered why the trailer battery seemed low when we got to a campground. After we got home I lesaned about the fuse & relay. Here's a couple of other tips for you. If you flip the up down arrows on your shuft lever you will be able to see what gear you are in all of time. Flipping the down arrow allows you to lock out 6th gear but, it will still shift through all the other gears automatically. You can also play your radio without having the key on or even in the truck. The radio will stay on until the battery runs down or you turn it off or you use the key. Just a few things I have learned about our ("BOOSTIES") on this forum.

Reactions: LIEco

·
Registered
868 Posts
i gotta check this stuff out !
my dealer seemed nice at the time but he told me nothing about the fuse and relay or even half the stuff you guys mention on this forum
all he was worried about was the sat radio controls which i rarely use.

i have a question for you guys !
i found the trailer settings on the dash controls and have the sway control set on all the time does this matter ?
is there a feed back loop that knows when the trailer is not connected to no longer worry about sway control ?

·
Registered
7,411 Posts
The sway control is default on. Even if you turn it off through the settings. Every time you turn the truck back on the sway control is back on.

At least it is in my truck. Tested it tonight.

·
Registered
868 Posts
never really looked close enough to know that !
i just played the radio tonight with no key in the ignition for the first time
and brought up the gear indicator on the cluster
Thanks Wayne

·
Registered
943 Posts
never really looked close enough to know that !
i just played the radio tonight with no key in the ignition for the first time
and brought up the gear indicator on the cluster
Thanks Wayne
You are welcome. Thanks to all the members of the forum for teaching us about this cool stuff.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can't understand why these just aren't installed when they build the truck. I just bought my 2013 EB and am luck that that bag of fuses was still there!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Glad you read the post about the fuse and relay. We towed our trailer all over the South last winter and I often wondered why the trailer battery seemed low when we got to a campground. After we got home I lesaned about the fuse & relay. Here's a couple of other tips for you. If you flip the up down arrows on your shuft lever you will be able to see what gear you are in all of time. Flipping the down arrow allows you to lock out 6th gear but, it will still shift through all the other gears automatically. You can also play your radio without having the key on or even in the truck. The radio will stay on until the battery runs down or you turn it off or you use the key. Just a few things I have learned about our ("BOOSTIES") on this forum.
Nice tip! Thanks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts