F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
For oil you want something AN plus and with Dexos Gen2 spec. Penzzoil Ultra Plat meets it and is a good oil. Ultra platinum does not meet that spec.

I ran one step colder and didn't really notice a difference. Are you seeing the knock with light throttle or are you getting on it?
I noticed my truck, like you stated earlier, does not like it when I baby it and I see a lot of positive knock and that lowers my OAR.

What gas station do you use?
Im using Motocraft Synthetic Blend, So I will have to check more into that.

Its only when I baby it. Cruise set, knock goes postive, and OAR goes up. If i lean on the motor, and give it some postive boost, not even WOT, just light boost, the knock goes negitive and lowers the OAR. I have tried Shell and another 93 locally, not sure the brand, both are doing the same thing.

WOT knock and OAR is great. Motor runs great with no knock even when OAR is very low.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Im using Motocraft Synthetic Blend, So I will have to check more into that.

Its only when I baby it. Cruise set, knock goes postive, and OAR goes up. If i lean on the motor, and give it some postive boost, not even WOT, just light boost, the knock goes negitive and lowers the OAR. I have tried Shell and another 93 locally, not sure the brand, both are doing the same thing.

WOT knock and OAR is great. Motor runs great with no knock even when OAR is very low.
From what I saw the motocraft oil is not that good for the ecoboosts. A few oil analysis showed it shears with the heat and does not handle fuel dilution too well.
hm I only use shell. I have gone to other stations and my OAR goes positive and stays there. I say don't baby it as much I notice these motors like to get after it and they are happier lol.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Question is what oils are good for this?

Also i did some more testing in 5th gear tonight cruising and locked out 6th. I did notice that it did not go positive nearly as much as 6th and also kept the OAR down. Im going to play with that some more. I wonder what tires size/gear ratio everyone that has this problem is running. It may have more to do with a sweet spot with heavy larger tires and the specific RPM you end up with, and load of the motor. Maybe its an isolated case where at this % load and rpm, things arent happy, but change one thing and it goes away. I know that at 60mph with stock tires, the engine would be at a higher rpm with less load, same for 70mph.

Who knows.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts

Also i did some more testing in 5th gear tonight cruising and locked out 6th. I did notice that it did not go positive nearly as much as 6th and also kept the OAR down. Im going to play with that some more. I wonder what tires size/gear ratio everyone that has this problem is running. It may have more to do with a sweet spot with heavy larger tires and the specific RPM you end up with, and load of the motor. Maybe its an isolated case where at this % load and rpm, things arent happy, but change one thing and it goes away. I know that at 60mph with stock tires, the engine would be at a higher rpm with less load, same for 70mph.

Who knows.
For oils I would look at Pennzoil ultra platinum. Anything with the SN+ spec and Dexos Gen 2 will be good for all of that. I am also looking at the Shell Rotella Gas Truck that has those ratings and is a little thicker than the ultra platinum.

That could be very true as well. unsprung weight is crazy to see. Some say once it is in motion it doesn't take as much energy to keep moving but I feel like when I had my S60R and got lighter wheels/tires it benefited all the way around with them!

·
Registered
3,613 Posts

Who knows.
How wide are the tires. I am on 275/60R20 duratracs(also 33's) and noticed almost no difference from stock. They weigh within a couple lbs of the stock tires.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
i run 275/60-20 duratracs now. Im still only able to pull 16-17mpg at 60mph at best. I used to run 276/65-20 duratracs which are much heavier and got the same gas mileage. I was disappointed when i downsized in weight and size and didnt see any improvement. when the truck was brand new on stock tires i would see 20 mpg at 60 mph.

So I would say that the tires are still significant over stock, height and weight.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Best thing i could do is find a set of stock tires/rims (17's or 18's) and put them on and see if anything changes. But thats expensive haha.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
For oil you want something AN plus and with Dexos Gen2 spec. Penzzoil Ultra Plat meets it and is a good oil. Ultra platinum does not meet that spec.
Just so ppl don't get confused... SN Plus rating (where the API approval circle is on the bottle) is supposed to help combat LSPI (low speed pre-ignition).
As far as Pennzoil goes, for the moment, Platinum meets this certification, whereas Pennzoil ULTRA Platinum does not.

LSPI is happens during high load/boost at low rpm situations.
I like the Ultra Platinum myself, and I stay away from LSPI by not lugging my engine... and a couple of catch cans to boot.

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Just so ppl don't get confused... SN Plus rating (where the API approval circle is on the bottle) is supposed to help combat LSPI (low speed pre-ignition).
As far as Pennzoil goes, for the moment, Platinum meets this certification, whereas Pennzoil ULTRA Platinum does not.

LSPI is happens during high load/boost at low rpm situations.

I like the Ultra Platinum myself, and I stay away from LSPI by not lugging my engine... and a couple of catch cans to boot.
Which is not where the OP is seeing the issue. It made me think this wasn't an LSPI thing.

I don't pay a ton of attention to my KR and OAR, but I know in the past when i was towing on my 5Star tunes they tended to run a little positive KR at light load but when I would hit a hill and get into they would go deep negatives similar to what the OP is seeing. It could simply be that the tables are more aggressive in the low load areas to promote maximum efficiency when the engine is not under high stress. Then they back off at high load where you need to be more careful and they want some overhead.

Still, +.92 OAR seems high.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I think bad fuel was the reason for the high oar. Im still seeing the OAR creep up to +.5 when driving gently. When im driving spiritedly i see the oar drop to -.5 pretty easy. I switched to a full synthetic Mobile 1 SN+, doesnt seem to have changed anything. The truck just seems to have random knock issues. It comes and goes. All using 1 tank of fuel over the course of a couple weeks i will see it swing all over the dam place.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I think bad fuel was the reason for the high oar. Im still seeing the OAR creep up to +.5 when driving gently. When im driving spiritedly i see the oar drop to -.5 pretty easy. I switched to a full synthetic Mobile 1 SN+, doesnt seem to have changed anything. The truck just seems to have random knock issues. It comes and goes. All using 1 tank of fuel over the course of a couple weeks i will see it swing all over the dam place.
Oar doesn't mean anything unless your calibrator set it up properly

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
LSPI isn't much of a problem on these engines, they will downshift before getting into it or they will refuse to run the cam timing to make enough load.

As far as OAR, on my 17 it's like this from what i can see:

-1.0 = inferred octane of 85
0 = inferred octane of 87
1.0 = inferred octane of 91

I guess gen2's are exactly opposite lol.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts