F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my truck in for warranty work and they updated the ECU. I now have a new strategy code. I know my old tunes will not work now but do companies honor your old strategy tunes or do I have to buy new tunes?

They did the transmission TSB and I think that is why the strategy code was changed.

2013 with 71,000 miles.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
If there lifetime tunes then they should honor the change and give you new tunes (Stage3motorsports does) not sure about others.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will have to ask Gearhead and BCB. I have a custom tune from Unleashed but haven't ran it for a while. Hopefully I get lucky and get the trucked tuned again. A tunes truck is way better than stock.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I'd be curious about your outcome with BCB in particular. I haven't let my truck go for that TSB yet, and probably wont soon unless it's an easy to deal with thing. Keep us updated please.

·
Premium Member
5,665 Posts
I personally think the consumer gets a $TEAL on the average tune. The fact that revisiting a previous tune requires the efforts to load a previous file and then manually edit it, as well as get it to the customer.......

I think a ½hour of labor charge is valid.

And some of these fellas go beyond the ordinary with multiple revisions if/when the customer is requesting.

Tunes are so taken for granted these days. We would have considered it pure fiction in my earlier years that you could get an email (what's that?) and then plug a cable into your car and in 6 minutes have 100HP.

It's just crazy. For 100 bucks. And get this..... You don't raise your hood? Open a toolbox? Get your hands dirty?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Also, your old CONFIGs on the unit (if you are using SCT device) may not function properly.

SOME PIDS will still work, others won't. You will need to build a new CONFIG to get all the pids to work.

AND...I found that the latest version of Livelink and UPDATER required a proper validated CONFIG pulled from the PCM.

Now the device won't recognize Old Configs (unless they are already on your device ... but some pids won't work). But NEW Configs, must have your strategy identified or your device will not see them. Livelink will see it, but your device may not. My Livewire wouldn't (except old configs already on the unit). If I reloaded "old working Configs", they may no longer be seen by your device. The most current update of your device now requires the STRATEGY identified in the CONFIG that you add. Or you may not see them on your device.

Good luck. My dealership did the Recall Update, in spite of my instructions on my file to never update my PCM without informing me first. Unfortunately, my truck was tuned, so I had to send my device to SCT to unlock it and reset the device to "Unmarried" without reducing my count. I drove almost 3 weeks stock, and it wasn't fun.

But make sure that your married count isn't reduced by going to the new strategy. If so, contact SCT and get them to change it back to 5. You will need to give them a copy of the Recall notice

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was stock for a couple weeks. But I do understand what you are saying. I need to download the stock file to the SCT X4 which it should recognize a different ECU strategy as a different vehicle.

I received my files from Gearhead and sent info to BCB. I will see if BCB charges anything. Not to worried.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Getting a new tune is just part of the headache. Creating a new CONFIG is the other. And there seems to be a lot of new "gotchas" now between the device, config, strategy and livelink. I don't know if this is intentional or just an accident. But it has all changed within the last few weeks. A few weeks earlier, I could do as I always did (see below).

In the past, I could "merge" multiple configs to see if the extra pids would work (sometimes they do, sometimes they don't). And the configs could be "generic" (no strategy need to be listed) so they would work on virtually anyone.

Not anymore. Now the config must be created from the PCM and directly written to the device. If you save the CONFIG to a laptop, even if created from the PCM, and you later want to load it onto your device (maybe you modified it ... maybe you didn't), Livelink will move it and see its there, but your Device won't see it/recognize it for display. It won't show up.

It is lot more "User hostile" in how to create, modify and merge CONFIGS now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts