F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are upgraded controll arms, but is there an upgrade to the ball joint? Only

Or is there a cheap controll arm with some sort of ball joint upgrade.

I need new ball joints at 130,000 and was checking on upgrades.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
I want to get 130,000 miles out of my ball joints.

Actually, I want to get 130,000 miles out of my tranny, rear and front diff, and motor. I'm willing to change ball joints a few times in exchange! Lol

I don't know if you can put those fancy articulation joints in the oem control arm? And I'm not sure fancy joints actually last longer than an OEM ball joint. But they DO articulate more than a regular ball joint, according to the design.

I didn't really answer your question. But I've had 2 doubleshots of espresso. I had to respond.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Expresso!
No fooling today!
I drink the bejesus out of regular coffee, but not knowledgeable on fancy stuff.
When I have had NO sleep, I get a speedball! Shots of expresso in my coffee. Tastes great, but sip don't slam!

I'd rather have a response, than none.

And I think it was helpful, if I have to change again at 260, I will have done ok with reg joints.
What miles you get out of yours and what offset you at to shorten their life? I went with 285/65 R18 on stock wheel and assumed that was part of my wear issue.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
I only have 30,000 miles on the truck. I have Icon upper control arms with those wierd articulating joints, in lieu of a normal ball joint.
I don't know if I really needed the uca and joint for clearance, but I knew that since I was changing the geometry of the truck with the Fox 2.5 coilovers, and going up to 35" tires at times, I may as well err on the side of caution.

But I'm sure that I have read somewhere that the trade-off for better suspension performance is a shorter life span of that non-ball joint.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@snakebitten
I am about to buy some wheels with - 19 offset.
More than I really wanted, but 0 offset costs more somehow.
So I was trying to be defensive.

·
Premium Member
5,921 Posts
Ahhhh. Now I understand the inquiry.

You are betting the next set of ball joints aren't going to last as long because of upcoming modifications.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
I just did mine a few months ago. Went with the heavy duty Mevotech TTX ball joints. I only got just over 125k km out of my stockers how you got double that amazes me.

·
Registered
725 Posts
The ball joints that can be greased (Moog, perhaps the Mevotechs as well?) will last longer... assuming you actually grease them.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just did mine a few months ago. Went with the heavy duty Mevotech TTX ball joints. I only got just over 125k km out of my stockers how you got double that amazes me.
I do a lot of highway driving. You think that matters?
My tire was stock and near stock... Idk

Ill look into this bj's thanks!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Curios to see where you land... I’m at 150k+ on the original BJs. Don’t have obvious signs yet but there’s a torn boot on one of the uppers so this is on my sooner than later list... getting longer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Yes I do have a 4" lift and 34s on +18mm 18" wheels. My uppers were completely destroyed.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I only have 30,000 miles on the truck. I have Icon upper control arms with those wierd articulating joints, in lieu of a normal ball joint.
I don't know if I really needed the uca and joint for clearance, but I knew that since I was changing the geometry of the truck with the Fox 2.5 coilovers, and going up to 35" tires at times, I may as well err on the side of caution.

But I'm sure that I have read somewhere that the trade-off for better suspension performance is a shorter life span of that non-ball joint.

I think the purpose of the Delta Joint was to get the durability of a typical ball joint while having the articulation of a uniball. Best of both worlds.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts