F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had to upgrade the F150 brakes? I've been very happy with the stock rotors/pads.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Brake performance . Com sells rotors, stock, upgraded flat, dimpled, slotted, slotted and dimpled, drilled, or drilled and slotted, I haven't had the shudder from my 13 that I had with my 08, 04, and 97, so maybe ford is using a better quality rotor this trip, won't hold my breath... The BP rotors are sold in sets and come with ebc pads in some cases, if not you can order the pads when you order the rotors.

I haven't looked into it for this truck, but on all the others, the stock rotors were so inexpensive to replace that it didn't make sense to machine them, but they were the same quality, therefore the heat warp shudder eventually returned, so now when it turns up, I move to these, I've had great luck with them on my navigators and my f150s

·
Registered
17 Posts
So, after upgrading my tires from the stock 275/55R20 Pirelli Scorpions to 275/65R20 Nitto TerraGrapplers, the increase in diameter, grip and weight simply preclude me from getting enough force into the stock rotors to trigger the anti-lock brake system, meaning that even in a panic stop, I'm rolling to a somewhat aggressive stop, but simply not able to bark the tires, meaning I'm not stopping as quickly as I should be able to.

My first thought was to simply upgrade the brake pads from stock to semi-metallic, thereby increasing the stopping power. However, last week during a regular oil change and tire rotation at the local Ford dealership, I mentioned the brake pad upgrade and was told by the service technicians that Ford only puts semi-metallic pads on all of their trucks. I've not yet been able to confirm this with an independent source, but I'm skeptical on that bit of information.

So, I'm looking at brake upgrades. At the extreme upper end, and way above my budget are Brembo's Big Brake Kits (~$4,800). Well below that in price fall numerous drilled and slotted rotor kits containing either ceramic or semi-metallic brake pads. So many choices in fact that I'm not sure which of the numerous options might actually be the best. PowerStop, EBC, Hawk, Baer and many others offer either rotors or rotor/pad kits for consideration.

Another option is trying to find a reasonably priced caliper upgrade. Something designed around multiple pistons, and then couple that upgrade with a rotor/pad upgrade.

Has anyone out there actually done any research, or better yet, have first hand experience with any of the many options out there by chance ? I'd be grateful for any first hand experience, positive or negative, to help base my decision making on.

Respectfully

Bill

·
Registered
2,511 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Bill, What do you think of those Terra Grapplers?
They are so far superior to the OEM Pirelli Scorpions that it's hard to make any honest comparison sound reasonable, but I'll try.

Grip - With the Traction Control (TC) on, I could easily break the Scorpions loose on dry pavement while straight and level, causing the TC to pull power off the primary drive wheel. This was made even easier in wet weather conditions. God forbid you attempt a full power take off in a curve. With the Terra Grapplers, breaking the tires free just isn't possible, even running the Performance Script on my new SuperChips programmer. I can bark them pretty impressively, but not slip them enough to engage the TC.

Road Noise - Because of the considerably more aggressive tread pattern, the Terra Grapplers are slightly louder than the OEM Scorpions, but I do mean slightly. Windows closed you can just make out the smallest bit of hum. Windows open and you'll never hear them at all over the normal wind noise.

Feel and Feedback - At 34 psi (cold) the Terra Grapplers simply provide an amazing amount of confidence back to the driver. You can feel them grip, you can hear them growl when you really start to push them and they let go very predictably and gently, both front and rear, depending on how you push them past their break point. At 36 psi (cold) they start to feel a little bit bouncy to me in an empty FX4 SCrew (I've been playing with tire pressure hunting for the perfect balance between grip and mileage). I never had similar confidence or feel in the OEM Scorpions.

Price - The Terra Grapplers are quite a bit more expensive than the OEM Scorpions. I was able to find them for a bit over $300 each all over the internet and closer to $350 each in local shops. I got lucky and bought mine during a Buy 3 Get 1 Free promotion and that helped with the costs considerably.

Durability - Not yet able to make an honest comparison. I got 30k miles out of my OEM Scorpions before I upgraded to the Terra Grapplers, and in all honesty, they probably had another 5k worth of life in them. I've only got about 5k on the Terra Grapplers thus far, so it will be some time before I can make an honest durability comparison. I recognize that the Grapplers don't come with any sort of mileage guarantee and in all honesty, if I can get 30k miles out of them, I will be thrilled given all of the other advantages.

Looks - The OEM Scorpions didn't look all that bad, though they always left me wondering why someone would want to install street tires on an off road truck package. The Terra Grapplers look considerably more aggressive, both in tread pattern and sidewall visuals, assuming you like the all black profile. In fact, the Grapplers give you a choice of two different lettering fill options in that they can be mounted with either side out, each featuring a slightly different lettering scheme.

Over All - To be honest, I have to ask myself how long it took Ford to fire the guy that approved putting Pirelli Scorpions on an F-150 FX4 (off road) package. Then I have to ask myself why I waited even 30k miles before upgrading. I read all the hype on these tires, I've tried to be mindful of the pro's and con's associated with them based on other owners reviews and opinions, but I have to admit that so far, I've seen only positive gains and no detractors. I will, of course, continue to build my opinion over the next 30k miles and let you know how they hold up over time.

With all due respect...

Bill

·
Registered
216 Posts
A good pad upgrade goes along ways. Forget the drilled/slotted rotors they are all a waste pretty much all for looks. Take a stroll through the paddock at a road race track and you will find that 90% use plain rotors. Just get a good set of pads the stock rotors will be nicer than most of the aftermarket offerings and are plenty large enough. If you tow the hawk LTS would be a good choice. EBC yellow stuff would be a slightly more agressive choice.

·
Registered
17 Posts
A good pad upgrade goes along ways. Forget the drilled/slotted rotors they are all a waste pretty much all for looks. Take a stroll through the paddock at a road race track and you will find that 90% use plain rotors. Just get a good set of pads the stock rotors will be nicer than most of the aftermarket offerings and are plenty large enough. If you tow the hawk LTS would be a good choice. EBC yellow stuff would be a slightly more agressive choice.
Appreciate the insights Jared, thank you.

Bill

·
Registered
8 Posts
So, after upgrading my tires from the stock 275/55R20 Pirelli Scorpions to 275/65R20 Nitto TerraGrapplers, the increase in diameter, grip and weight simply preclude me from getting enough force into the stock rotors to trigger the anti-lock brake system, meaning that even in a panic stop, I'm rolling to a somewhat aggressive stop, but simply not able to bark the tires, meaning I'm not stopping as quickly as I should be able to.

My first thought was to simply upgrade the brake pads from stock to semi-metallic, thereby increasing the stopping power. However, last week during a regular oil change and tire rotation at the local Ford dealership, I mentioned the brake pad upgrade and was told by the service technicians that Ford only puts semi-metallic pads on all of their trucks. I've not yet been able to confirm this with an independent source, but I'm skeptical on that bit of information.

So, I'm looking at brake upgrades. At the extreme upper end, and way above my budget are Brembo's Big Brake Kits (~$4,800). Well below that in price fall numerous drilled and slotted rotor kits containing either ceramic or semi-metallic brake pads. So many choices in fact that I'm not sure which of the numerous options might actually be the best. PowerStop, EBC, Hawk, Baer and many others offer either rotors or rotor/pad kits for consideration.

Another option is trying to find a reasonably priced caliper upgrade. Something designed around multiple pistons, and then couple that upgrade with a rotor/pad upgrade.

Has anyone out there actually done any research, or better yet, have first hand experience with any of the many options out there by chance ? I'd be grateful for any first hand experience, positive or negative, to help base my decision making on.

Respectfully

Bill
I went from stock 275/65R18 to 325/65R18. 10" to 14" wide and 32" to 35" high. I haven't upgraded my brakes and don't see any real need to. Truck stops quickly and reaction time is almost as good as my work truck (F150 XLT without mods). No doubt I will wear out brake shoes and rotors quicker, but price you pay for larger tires.

PS. Those Nitto TerraGrapplers are excellent bogger tires if you into offroading.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I lifted my truck and put on 35's and noticed a big decrease in braking.

I bought a drilled & slotted 4 piece set with ceramic pads from R1 Concepts and my brakes are now as good as factory.

They cost me $490 shipped. In comparison the Wilwood 6 piston setup for my 05 Stang cost me $3600!

As far as drilled and slotted goes, I only got slotted on my Wilwood Stang setup and wish I got the drilled and slotted.

Personally I don't care what other people have to say about drilled vs not drilled, I think they are great and will buy them again.

·
Registered
868 Posts
i had upgraded my last truck with ceramic brakes and will do the same with the 2013 when time comes
with just 1,200 mles on the factory brakes my wheels are very dirty and need washed desperately
i had never seen dirt on my last trucks wheels from the brakes after switching to ceramic and never smelled hot brakes after towing and stopping at the bottom of a hill and it was lees than $200 to do all 4 wheels

as far as slotted or cross drilled i tried that route on the 97-F-150 i had and yes the cross drilled rotors do help with braking and dissipating heat better but not really worth the extra expense and maintenance over just a high quality performance brake compound or ceramic

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Did you reprogram your truck for the tire size,because if not thats most likely the reason your ABS is not working correctly...been there and done that..with increased height or less height your system will either activate too soon or too late or not at all..

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I am swapping over to a GM brake spindle and hub set up because of the custom made control arms i have to have install when it is lowered,so I will be using some sort of large multiple piston drilled/slotted combo from 2010 up GM.. etc..as I am not going to go through all of that for stock calipers..I have some heavy research ahead..cost VS bang per buck...

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
i had upgraded my last truck with ceramic brakes and will do the same with the 2013 when time comes
with just 1,200 mles on the factory brakes my wheels are very dirty and need washed desperately
i had never seen dirt on my last trucks wheels from the brakes after switching to ceramic and never smelled hot brakes after towing and stopping at the bottom of a hill and it was lees than $200 to do all 4 wheels

as far as slotted or cross drilled i tried that route on the 97-F-150 i had and yes the cross drilled rotors do help with braking and dissipating heat better but not really worth the extra expense and maintenance over just a high quality performance brake compound or ceramic
Funny I see that posted a lot. I will be turning 20K this week and my rims are as clean as can be. Washed regularly but only waxed once this year.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I just put some powerstop slotted/drillers rotors and their pads. I haven't noticed a power difference in them but they are butter smooth in comparison.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I lifted my truck and put on 35's and noticed a big decrease in braking.

I bought a drilled & slotted 4 piece set with ceramic pads from R1 Concepts and my brakes are now as good as factory.

They cost me $490 shipped. In comparison the Wilwood 6 piston setup for my 05 Stang cost me $3600!

As far as drilled and slotted goes, I only got slotted on my Wilwood Stang setup and wish I got the drilled and slotted.

Personally I don't care what other people have to say about drilled vs not drilled, I think they are great and will buy them again.
I'm also running the R1 Concepts drilled and slotted rotors and their upgraded pads both front and rear. Pretty big difference considering the cost. Upgraded stainless steel brake lines helped some as well.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts