F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been lurking and learning my fair share from you guys for awhile finally have an "odd" situation to post about.
Recently lifted my truck and my upper control arm is knocking against the strut because its a 6" lift kit using a 3" Rancho quicklift strut. Obviously i know that 9 inches in a 6 inch kit isnt ideal for certain angles and whatnot. That aside it drives nice except for the clangin and bangin of the UCA.
I looked at all the UCA's and none appear (online) anyways to be much bigger i know the knuckle is different but the front bar is what makes contact.
Has anyone else lifted theirs a similar way?
If so what UCA's did you end up with?
Are there any UCA's that are extended lengths or drop? 20190928_160557.jpg 20191006_182443.jpg 20191006_182445.jpg 20191006_182452.jpg

·
Registered
584 Posts
So you have 3" of lift by the shock and a 6" puck in the front and are wondering why you have an issue?
I will say this is totally the wrong way to do it. A REAL lift kit should be installed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know its not ideal but its what I have for now. Its not much different than buying a basic lift kit and putting it on the oem strut, mine just happens to have a little lift built in, i'm not stacking spacers lol. Not disagreeing in your choice of REAL lift kits, just coilovers aint in the budget at the moment but that might be the route taken eventually. Just looking for some input on the upper control arms that would potentially be larger to clear the shock.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
I mean no offense with this comment but when I first read this thread last night the thought that went through my mind was “what did you think might happen?” In a nutshell you’re asking a hodgepodge set of parts to do something they weren’t designed to do. It not only is not the “idealset up, it’s the wrong thing to do from a performance and safety point of view and bad things can happen. Anything from premature ball joint failure to CV joint wear, potential tire wear and alignment issues and beyond.

At the end of the day no one on this forum can really predict the outcome or potential issues invited by doing this unless they’ve tried the same pieces you have on your truck and driven them for 20,000 miles. In my mind the solution here is a simple one though you no doubt don’t want to hear it. Don’t piece meal parts together and expect all to be well. I believe this to be especially important when it comes to brakes, suspension or tires. These systems are ones that will hurt you when things go bad.

Though you may convince yourself into accepting the ride quality, you are no doubt giving up something in the exchange. I suggest it’s time to step back and re-evaluate your goals and put together a plan of action that includes both time and costs to set the truck at the height you desire without creating a headache or worse a potential safety issue for yourself. Anyway... I know it sounds like I’m preaching here and that isn’t my intent. Do it right, you’ll be glad you did. I’ll step off the soap box now. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the feedback!! I get that its hard to predict the outcomes without having the exact same pieces but I can imagine I'm not the only one wanting more. Its an oddball situation and I was curious about how others have gone above 6" of lift and the UCA's. I'll probably end up ordering the Vertex coil overs since they go to 6.5inches and see how the UCA behaves when it gets there. Trial and error I guess, I'm not exactly happy with the total turnout considering its being pieced together via multiple kits myself. Well at the end of the day the take away is this does not work so the next guy who asks about it has a forum post to be redirected too with it actually tried and not panned out. :D

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
I dont think 3” of lift works even on a stock height suspension(IE no 6” lift kit). Its just too much and the angle of the upper arm is to extreme.

I had the same issue on my Liberty and had to back it off half an inch so the UCA’s didnt hit the coil. In my case I did have higher clearance aftermarket UCA’s and still had the issue.

The other solution is to get a coilover that may have a smaller OD spring. I know on my jeep that a Fox Coilover has a smaller OD than the conventional lift shocks and allows a little more droop before contact. But then you run the risk of overextending everything else on the suspension.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Readilift makes a 3.5” kit that contains ICA’s for the 14. Perhaps a possible alternate solution to this Frankenstein lift...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,284 Posts
Even if you could get the clearance between the upper a-arm and the strut/spacer, you have like zero down-travel right now. Have no down travel could legitimately be dangerous over rough rail-road tracks or potholes.

·
Vendor
7,163 Posts
I appreciate the feedback!! I get that its hard to predict the outcomes without having the exact same pieces but I can imagine I'm not the only one wanting more. Its an oddball situation and I was curious about how others have gone above 6" of lift and the UCA's. I'll probably end up ordering the Vertex coil overs since they go to 6.5inches and see how the UCA behaves when it gets there. Trial and error I guess, I'm not exactly happy with the total turnout considering its being pieced together via multiple kits myself. Well at the end of the day the take away is this does not work so the next guy who asks about it has a forum post to be redirected too with it actually tried and not panned out. :D
i would suggest fox coilovers for the BDS 6” bracket lift kit. any coilover (king, fox, doesn’t really matter can be made to size. my one raptor customers rear shocks are about 5 feet tall extended so.

i’d suggest (highly) into looking into the proper spindle when you lift it properly that’s your issue other than the obvious. and honestly, it’s not safe as you have it. fox, go with the 6” bds lift version coilovers. no spacers and quality 2.5 coilover

Family First

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Proper spindle? I have the lifted version that was sent with my lift? Do they make larger ones? If so that would be ideal with coilovers.
I have upper control arms for a leveling kit on the way. Just to try and see if that helps any. 6 inches of new spindle that came with lift kit + 6 inch spacer should zero out? And 3 inches of lift in the strut with a uca for 2-4 inches of lift should zero out as well? Check me on my math.
Coil overs will be the next thing if I can get by with what I have for now. Probably will end up ordering some custom length ones so no spacer has to be involved. Unless those bds ones can go higher than 6? Gotta save up for those bad boys tho. :) basically besides the obvious problem, are these tires and wheels seemed cool in the gallery on a certain site but I have already trimmed so much to turn its unreal lol. I can't lose much lift than I have now. Maybe like .5"-1.5" and that's a huge maybe.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Proper spindle? I have the lifted version that was sent with my lift? Do they make larger ones? If so that would be ideal with coilovers.
I have upper control arms for a leveling kit on the way. Just to try and see if that helps any. 6 inches of new spindle that came with lift kit + 6 inch spacer should zero out? And 3 inches of lift in the strut with a uca for 2-4 inches of lift should zero out as well? Check me on my math.
Coil overs will be the next thing if I can get by with what I have for now. Probably will end up ordering some custom length ones so no spacer has to be involved. Unless those bds ones can go higher than 6? Gotta save up for those bad boys tho. :) basically besides the obvious problem, are these tires and wheels seemed cool in the gallery on a certain site but I have already trimmed so much to turn its unreal lol. I can't lose much lift than I have now. Maybe like .5"-1.5" and that's a huge maybe.
Why not run some Bilstein 5100’s instead of the ranch quick lift struts. Then you can have some adjustability up front dial in your ride height without breaking the bank. Pretty sure Stage 3 Motorsports did this with their in house 8” lift kit. They used a zone 6” kit and utilized the bilsteins to get that extra height to clear 37’s on their ship truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Vendor
1,456 Posts
Why not run some Bilstein 5100’s instead of the ranch quick lift struts. Then you can have some adjustability up front dial in your ride height without breaking the bank. Pretty sure Stage 3 Motorsports did this with their in house 8” lift kit. They used a zone 6” kit and utilized the bilsteins to get that extra height to clear 37’s on their ship truck.
We actually use Halo Lift's Coilovers for that 7.5"ish lift kit we do for the 2009-2013 F150s.

It doesn't really matter, though, since even on that kit we put together, you can't clear UCAs. The issue is the strut spacer pushes down the upper coilover mount, which has a larger diameter that just the spring alone.

@Ashton56 's only real solution would be to swap out their QuickLift/Strut Spacer combo with a full-length coilover and maybe tacking on 2" leveling kit or something to squeeze out some more ride height.

That's also assuming his lift kit is a true 6" lift and not just a "tall" 4" kit with 6" strut spacer.

·
Premium Member
5,055 Posts
OP, you now have Jason's attention.

You have the ears of a full on "lift expert"
My advice is to heed his. Lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@AllWhiteEco.I don't think the 5100's would put it much different position. Might just be a tad bit narrower I already had the rancho quick lifts installed so was kinda just running with what I had and see where it ended up.
@[email protected] That's my thoughts exactly, I did order some UCA to help in the meantime "how much? maybe none". But I'm saving up then I will order some coilovers because I honestly don't see anyway to stay a similar height. I did find that rough country has lifted struts that I could buy a 6" and then put a 2ish level on top of the strut. However I don't wanna spend the money just to be back at square one. So as you said, I think coilovers with 2 inch spacer or custom to length is the only way to " properly" do it. Coilovers, uniball UCA's I should be looking good with my poor angles :)
And as far as 4" and 6" spindles I never measured them so if there is a tall 4 then im sure thats what I got in the basic kit. I ordered a 6 inch kit but hey

·
Registered
6,721 Posts
I think you should quit wasting all the money and cut it all out and fab up a straight axle with hydro steering. 3 link with coil overs designed for the lift.

But I assume this truck is all show no go with the suspension set up you've got as has been said you have pretty crappy down travel on this suspension set up and terrible CV angles...

Maybe see if RCV has half shafts available that can take the increased angles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wouldn't be the first truck I've straight axled.
However I'm happy with the ride height where it's at for a mall crawler. I'd like to just figure out the few kinks I got remaining rather than starting over. It sounds good but this truck wont ever see a use for solid axle I got my SXS for all that fun!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just wanted to update in case anyone else searches for this at some point in time. Ended up getting custom length coilovers and uniball UCA’s.
The uniballs did almost resolve the issue however downward travel was still an issue at almost full droop.
The coilovers set at 8.5 inches of lift from 9"s gave me more favorable angles for the uca and drive shafts. And I'm happy with the ride. Amazing difference between coilovers and stock struts.
Thanks to all those who provided input and words of wisdom!
If anyone chooses to a lift like I did then coilovers and uca's are a must!😀
IMG_20191210_205717_432.jpg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts