F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
I checked mine today and it shows signs of blowing oil residue on the valve cover and some nearby hoses. The filter on the breather was a little wet with oil. I removed the breather and put the stock filler cap back on.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I checked mine today and it shows signs of blowing oil residue on the valve cover and some nearby hoses. The filter on the breather was a little wet with oil. I removed the breather and put the stock filler cap back on.
I will check mine tomorrow .... and report back

·
Registered
4,656 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
An update on mine, it was blowing oil out of the breather top. Not much but enough to spit all over the valve cover... 3-4 ounces is what it looked like. Removed for now. I’m completely stock and drive like an old guy.

I did have several WOT freeway entry’s prior to checking under the hood
It turned out to be a little more than I thought. My bone dry pan for 50k miles has oil all over it and the underneath area under the engine has a nice Afro-sheen glaze. This is gonna take a while to clean up. Big ole mess!

·
Registered
509 Posts
I feel like this breather is a good idea in theory but too messy in practice with it venting straight into the engine bay.
Looks like we need a third catch can now lol jk but maybe instead of a filter that will vta, a hose to an existing catch can or a catch can with three inlets instead of 2

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

·
Administrator
9,483 Posts
Put mine on yesterday. I had been driving for about an hour and then parked in the driveway. When I took the fill cap off to install the UPR you should have seen the cloud of vapor fog come out!
For a while I had my Full Race catch can vented to atmosphere. There was a steady stream of vapor coming out of it at all times, and there would be a ton of crud build up inside the rear bumper, which was where I had the exit routed to through a breather filter.

2016 2.7 4x4 screw

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
It turned out to be a little more than I thought. My bone dry pan for 50k miles has oil all over it and the underneath area under the engine has a nice Afro-sheen glaze. This is gonna take a while to clean up. Big ole mess!
When I first got my Rx Catch Can, there was no "Clean Side Separator" and I had to run a breather to make the whole system work best. And yes, every month I have to clean off my covers etc.

I DO have a "Clean Side Separator" where the "breather" is sealed and the fumes go straight into the air cleaner to keep everything clean. I hate the thought of cutting a hole in my CAI, but I am looking at this now because I have found those "breathers" break apart over time. I have gone through two already (a different version). I was hoping this was going to work, to replace another bad breather.

It brings back bad memories of driving 1960s cars that all had breathers and no PCV systems. At least you could power wash them without screwing up an expensive sensor.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Sorry all been busy and had a chance to take these today....... 620 miles down and not a trace or drop of oil blow by..... for me, I'll continue to run and monitor the breather and if there is a benefit to release the pressure under boost, I'll take that too... I will update in another couple of weeks!

·
Registered
509 Posts
To those that had a lot of oil on the motor. Did you do a lot of wot or heavy foot driving? That could be why some are finding the breather messy and some are not. More blow by and therefore more air under pressure coming out of the breather

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
To those that had a lot of oil on the motor. Did you do a lot of wot or heavy foot driving? That could be why some are finding the breather messy and some are not. More blow by and therefore more air under pressure coming out of the breather

I will disagree, at least for me..... I have had plenty of boosted throttle pulls learning my BCB tune..... I will venture to say that the older (older than mine) might experience more blow by than the new trucks do..... that might be one issue..... but I have had my share of getting on it within the 620 miles with the breather in place...

·
Premium Member
781 Posts

I had a couple of WOT pulls but aside from that just normal daily driving. My truck is a 2012 with 122K on the clock. My breather was on for about 6 weeks. The first month I saw no signs of oil anywhere. It all came in the last couple of weeks.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I had a couple of WOT pulls but aside from that just normal daily driving. My truck is a 2012 with 122K on the clock. My breather was on for about 6 weeks. The first month I saw no signs of oil anywhere. It all came in the last couple of weeks.

I will keep that in mind and check weekly.....

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have had mine on 2 months now , ordered before this thread came out . I was a bit worried it was going to make a mess , but i have no signs of oil and i have been running it hard. I also installed one on my Raptor 6.2 and it is also dry light oil mist on bottom side. no oil on breather itself . I did notice some of you bottomed out the breather pushing as far down on stem as possible , i installed breather as high as could go and still tighten hose clamp, this just give a little more room for oil to accumulate and may drip it way down back into valve cover. If your seeing a ton of oil coming out i would say you have a good amount blowby . I did have one instance where idle was funky on a remote start , i was running late for work was boosting pretty hard , and pulled in shut off truck ran in to punch in , going home end of the day remote started and idle was wonky and then smoothed out after 20 seconds. Think it was that the check valve may been stuck open. Only did it the one time.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
For a while I had my Full Race catch can vented to atmosphere. There was a steady stream of vapor coming out of it at all times, and there would be a ton of crud build up inside the rear bumper, which was where I had the exit routed to through a breather filter.

2016 2.7 4x4 screw
You have any pics of how you had that set up?

·
Vendor
438 Posts
Nice reviews and feedback just wanted share the NEW UPR Billet One-Way Breather Options.

I have 3 different 3.5L Ecoboost vehicles that each have the breather on them and they range
from a 2015 Expedition - 2016 Explorer - 2019 F150 Platinum and they all are equipped with
UPR Plug n Play™ Catch Can Systems with the NEW ECSS = Electronic Clean Sides Separator.

The UPR Billet One-Way Breather has multiple benefits for any vehicle they get installed on.

The benefits range from keeping the crankcase evacuated and eliminating the positive pressure
under the piston during the down stroke and allowing the hot air to exit immediately and draw
in fresh cool ar right away resulting in cooler oil and short block temps. These both result in
freeing up power and improving engine efficiency.

You will also collect less oil as the excessive pressure that used to push the oil out of the PCV
is now eliminated and you have the full effect of the vacuum from the intake and will also be
sucking in much cooler fresher air.

All 3 of my 3.5 Ecoboost's have tuners and I do best them daily so I always know what to expect
from our UPR Plug n Play™ Catch Cans and One-Way Breathers. Now coming from the world of
boosted performance I can say some setups can get a vapor mist of oil emitted from the filter.

These engines are usually higher mile and or just looser from the factory as my 2.3 Ecoboost
Mustang would blow a mist out of the filter the first week we got the car. Even before we had
any mods other than the UPR Dual Valve Plug n Play™ Catch Can and Billet One-Way Breather.

Yuck, and it got a light mist on the engine cover.

I build tons of supercharged 5.0's and they experience oil mist from and breather filter let
alone the custom baffled UPR Billet One-Way Breather. Because of this we developed a Plug
n Play™ Breather tank to vent the excessive blow-by to and it simply replaces the filter and
uses a custom bonnet over the UPR Billet One-Way Breather.

This is the ultimate solution to eliminate oil blow-by mess with a Billet One-Way Breather.
The best part is all the benefits you get daily driving with a Billet One-Way Breather and
your engine bay remains spotless without any worries.

We have kits available that come with a UPR Plug n Play™ Breather Tank with 36" of
hose to be able to mount anywhere you like.

Here is what the kit looks like as we have filed for a patent on the bonnet with a
billet one-way oil cap breather to a breather tank as this will fix the problem with
the oil mist and mess on all similar products as well.

We also have kits that can be plumbed right into the exhaust system.

Mustang CCV One-Way Breather Kit Installed.jpg Mustang CCV One-Way Breather Kit.jpg Universal CCV.jpg

I'm looking for a reviewer on this board and will be giving a discount to
any members that respond to this post so you can go back to the UPR
Billet One-Way Breather and enjoy all the benefits without any mess.

Hope you guys like how we are always working to continually offer
the best solutions to common problems.

Thank you, Joe

·
Registered
411 Posts
That looks a nice set up !!!

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
That's a nice looking kit.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts
About this Discussion
50 Replies
14 Participants
UPRjoe
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing