F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just finished installing my UPR catch can. This catch can is a revised version. I have not seen any videos or threads on an install with this version of the product. Official instructions can be found here:

http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/54-ford-expedition-ecoboost/9201-2015-expedition-f150-ecoboost-oil-catch-can-3.html

I have not driven the truck yet so don't know if check engine light comes on or not. We'll see.

Anyway, first task is getting the driver's side catch can mounted. The supplied bolt was too short so I dug around in my bolt collection and found one a little longer:

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Using the longer bolt I mounted the drivers side catch can and plugged the sensor wire into the new hose. I used a small zip tied (not supplied) to secure the wire that used to be secured by the mounting hole.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next was mounting the catch can to the radiator fan shroud. I decided to go the single bolt approach and not drill the second hole in the shroud. So I bent the bracket to try and get the can to hang level. I don't think I bent it quite enough but it should be fine. I also did not use the lock nut cause I could not get a tool into the shroud opening to keep the bolt from turning, very little room to get your hand in there, and the fragile radiator fins are there, so I didn't want to be fooling around with wrenches up in that opening.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so we are having fun now right? Time to drill the hole in my new truck's passenger's side turbo inlet tube. First thing I did was install engine cover and hold the hose in place to mark the hole:

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Next was to use a hanger wrapped around a rag to push down into the tube to prevent debris from falling into the turbo. Wrap that wire around the rag very tightly you don't want it disconnecting from the rag inside the tube. I disconnected the turbo inlet tube at the Y and pushed the rag/wire down the tube. I think this is an optional step since the plastic shavings tend to come out as you drill not fall in.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Next determine how big of a hole to drill in the turbo inlet tube. The supplied tapered drill bit was marked with numbers and I determined 12 was the correct side. So I placed masking tape above the 12 "step" to insure I did not drill any larger than that. I drilled a 1/8" hole first with a regular drill bit then drilled with the tapered bit. NOTE: run the drill very slowly because that inlet tube plastic is very soft and drills easily.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
After the hole is drilled screw the supplied fitting into the hole. The fitting will cut the threads into the plastic. I held end of the fitting with my thumb and used my other hand with a pair of pliers to turn the fitting into the plastic holding it straight as I turned. It fit nice and snug I don't think its gonna come loose. One thing that did happen is the pliers mulled up the soft metal of the fitting a little bit. So I went over it with some 150 grit sand paper lightly to smooth it out again. A better approach might have been tape over the fitting and pliers first then screw it in....but....I got it done.....After that snap the hose onto the fitting....

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I took a razor and trimmed a little bit on the insulation on the cover because it was preventing the cover from seating. The insulation was hitting the PCV hose fitting. After that the cover would snap into place and no other cover trimming was required.

Installation is complete. I'll post up later and let you all know how it works.

Attachments

·
Registered
688 Posts
Good write up; I experienced similar things with the install except I was not supplied with the taperd bit so I had to buy one. My challenge was with the AFE CAI the clean side catch can does not attach to the place UPR wanted it to so I have to enginerr something. My only concern is when I put the truck back to stock to sell I have to replace the pipe or plug the hole.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Vendor
438 Posts
Very nice installation and write-up.

* Also a nice tip for installing the fitting into the pipe and turning it should be done with a small
pc. of hose that fits the fitting snug to
eliminate any chance of scratching or scuffing the fitting.

* I like that you used a hanger to get the rag into your pipe to catch the plastic shavings. ( Good Idea )

* I'm glad you shared the link for the passenger intake tube so anyone looking can get it easy. (
INTAKE TUBE for 2015 Ford F-150|FL3Z-9R530-C )

Have a great weekend.

Joe

·
Administrator
9,618 Posts
Awesome write up! I have this bookmarked to get back to. I also like that you linked to the replacement tube for returning to stock. I'm going UPR, full kit with CSS, when I buy a can. Unless that rx group buy thing takes off...but that is looking doubtful.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Put around 200 miles or so on the truck and both catch cans are collecting brown liquid. So far no check engine light. The can for the drivers side turbo inlet had around 1/4 inch of liquid in it when I unscrewed it glad that didnt go into the turbo inlet tube. Its been raining most days this week lots of moisture.

I added a fitting on the main catch can to make it easier to put a bottle under there for draining. Without the fitting it is difficult to get a bottle up in there and turn the valve at the same time. This also gives me the option to run a hose to the bottom of the truck if I want at a later time. The thread size of the fitting is 1/4 inch NPT and can be bought a local hardware or auto parts store.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
I expect my catch can this week for my 2012 F150 EcoBoost, I opted for buying the intake tube that comes with the fitting installed. If I ever decide to sell, I could easily replace it. Looking forward to getting my truck back to running like it should!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So the smaller clean side can collects a lot of gassy brown liquid. And the big can by the radiator collects just a couple of drops. I read in the other thread that I need to gut the PCV valve. Please advise if that is what should be done to make this system work correctly without throwing a code or causing idle problems thanks.

·
Vendor
438 Posts
So the smaller clean side can collects a lot of gassy brown liquid. And the big can by the radiator collects just a couple of drops. I read in the other thread that I need to gut the PCV valve. Please advise if that is what should be done to make this system work correctly without throwing a code or causing idle problems thanks.
Just wanted to touch base with you and let you know that the PCV should be a flow through and the internals removed as the factory PCV is redundant when the UPR Catch Can System has an inline check valve that is performing the same function. So when you open the factory PCV valve the system will flow much smoother and reduce the majority of the trash going into the UPR CSCC and then the UPR DVCC can perform start collecting the bulk of the trash and improve the vacuum and flow to the crankcase.

http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/51-upr-products/11164-upr-s-slick-new-clean-side-catch-can-system-11-15-ecoboost-f150-upr-cscc-post297935.html #post297935

You can PM me questions at - [email protected] -

Joe

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Joe I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I gutted the PCV valve a couple of week ago. No check engine light and no change in idle. Just checked the cans this morning. The big can by the radiator had a few ounces of brown nasty fluid. The driver's side can by the intake was empty! Truck is running great! Very happy with this setup right now!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts