F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Supporting Vendor
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Overall Impression:
The kit Includes everything needed for the install. All components look to be high quality and UPR even pre-assembles the lines for you so that there is no risk of mixing up the direction of the check valves and/or location of which line goes where. The can and clean side are extremely detailed and look great. UPR also uses high quality braided hose and factory press to connect fittings at all locations on the engine for a true oem look and feel. They provide AN style clamps for the connections to the catch can.

Installation:
The installation is very straight forward and the instructions provided by UPR should suffice. A couple of pictures would help the process out, but nothing that will leave you lost.
Start by removing your engine oil fill cap and engine cover to prepare for the hose routing. Remove the factory PCV line that goes from the passenger side valve cover to the Intake manifold.
Relocate the Ambient Air Temp Sensor. We moved to the horn bracket and tied it up with a ziptie, seemed easier than relocating it to the bottom bracket.
We recommend that, before mounting the can, you remove all the fittings from it and add Teflon sealant. Reinstall fittings and tighten until snug. Do not tighten all the way as you may need to maneuver them once you install the lines. Mount the can in the location depicted below with the included hardware.

The lines come preassembled and in different lengths.
The two shorter hoses go on the passenger side of the truck. You will run them under the harness, along the battery tray between the Radiator to the front where the can is located. The hose with the check valve goes connected to the passenger side fitting of the catch can and to the intake manifold with the OEM push to connect fitting.

The line with no check valve goes from the top of the catch can to the passenger side valve cover with the OEM push to connect fitting.

Remove the Factory PCV Hose that goes from the Drive Side Valve Cover to the Driver side Lower Intake Tube. Cap off the Driver Side Valve Cover with the Provided Vacuum Cap and Clamp.

Now connect the longer provided hose with the check valve to the lower Intake tube with the OEM push to connect fitting. Run it to the front of the truck between the Radiator along the front to the Driver side fitting on the Catch Can.Reference one of the completed pictures to see routing.

Install the clean side separator in place of the oil fill cap. Some downward pressure may be needed. Ours took some pressure to get it to lock. Once it looks keep rotating the clean side until the barbed elbow faces the driver side fender between the strut tower and the headlight. Connect the 3/8 braided line that is tee’d into the driver side hose to the clean side fitting.

Make sure all you connections are tight, secure the catch can in its place. Check for clearance with the front grill, you may need to rotate the can accordingly for clearance. Start the engine and check for leaks around all connections. Reinstall your engine cover and you are done. This is a quick, no drill, installation that should take no more than an hour to complete.

Finished Pictures:

For those interested in purchasing this catch can follow the link below:
http://www.makperformance.com/2011-2014-Ecoboost-F150-UPR-Front-Mount-Dual-Valve-Catch-Can-and-Separator-Package_p_265.html

·
Supporting Vendor
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We have a problem here in our shop where we can never leave good enough alone. For that reason we always find ways of improving anything we do. That may be the reason we have been a leader in this industry for 20 years, but while the clamps around the check valves were not horrible we had something that would make it look even better. So this is a small change that we made to our can. If you cannot see the difference then we have done our job.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It only took about 2 minutes (yea I'm slow) of staring at both photos to notice but the second is much cleaner when you finally figure it out.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Anyone install/using the single value set-up? I'm leaning towards that route

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Are you planning to do a follow up with an actual review of the effectiveness of the product? It looks great, but how well does it perform the intended task? Until we hear the rest of the story, I'll keep my money in my wallet...

·
Vendor
439 Posts
UPR has custom coalescing screens being made to slide right over the diffuser tube like a sleeve that will be an available option. This New UPR Dual Valve Catch Can
giving it the ability to be adjusted to whatever level of flow and oil containment required by each specific vehicle and application.

UPR DVCC Diffuser Filter.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Spoke to Bryan at UPR about this kit today.
When will you have the kit in black in stock for shipping?
Thanks

·
Supporting Vendor
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you planning to do a follow up with an actual review of the effectiveness of the product? It looks great, but how well does it perform the intended task? Until we hear the rest of the story, I'll keep my money in my wallet...
Yes of course, we installed it last friday. We will be checking it this friday and posting results although it may be too soon mileage wise, but we will check it often until we know how much it picks up in a given a mount of time. Then we will stick to that schedule.

Anyone install/using the single value set-up? I'm leaning towards that route
We installed the single valve also on this truck. The installation is exactly the same minus one hose with a check valve and a slightly smaller can. Ecoboost trucks in particular should be using the dual valves.

·
Supporting Vendor
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We just checked our dual valve UPR Can. It has been exactly one week and the truck has traveled 250miles since install. Keep in mind we are in South Florida, we have a very hot climate down here.

We did drain approx. 5 drops of oily water. The system is working as designed. It is too soon to see any type of volume with a brand new system. There are a lot of new dry components in this system that also has to be accounted for before we will see any accumulation in the can, but the ~ 5 drops of oily water do seem to be indicative that the system is working as intended. The can also mounts at a slight angle, where the center drain is not draining everything that maybe in the can, all these are tell tale signs that the system is working and doing its job.

We will check again in a months time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Can anyone tell me when is the best time to drain the can? Not time intervals but with the engine cold, warmed up or after a good drive like 30 minutes or more? I plan on draining once a week to see how much I get then plan from there but would like to hear what others say with the warm or cold engine. Thanks!!

·
Vendor
439 Posts
If you drain your system after driving while it's still warm, it will always drain better because the fluids are warm and thinned out.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I noticed yesterday after driving mine I immediately drained it. At first a bunch of clearish liquid came out. Then some tanish thick foamy Crap slowly dripped out. Then finally some more dark liquid. Truck had been run a good while. So I'd say give it 10 minutes or so to completely drain.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
I drain my can every time I fill up, you have the good popped open to check the oil anyways so perfect time to drain it.

·
Supporting Vendor
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bumping this for those who may have never seen it. We are loving this can.

All UPR Catch Cans Ship Free in the Lower 48 States plus a forum discount to all F150ecoboost.net members. Available with or without the the updated No-Drill WOT Throttle Couplers. All under 400.00 in your choice of finishes

2011-2014 Ecoboost F150 UPR 4in Mega Catch Can Kit

·
Registered
77 Posts
2015 EB model???

·
Registered
16 Posts
so this is plug and play? no drilling?
does it work as good as the ones where you have to drill?

from what i have read getting one of these should be at the top of the list for my new truck

·
Registered
39 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts