F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a lot about not using Seafoam in my new F150 3.5 Ecoboost, but I have used Seafoam mixed in my oil and fuel for many applications over the years and never had any problems. Is there some reason that I can't use Seafoam in the Ecoboost engine?

Thanks

·
Registered
164 Posts
What if you have less than quality gas in your area? We usually use seafoam once in a while...

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Seafoam in gas = OK, techron is probably better.

Seafoam in oil = Why?

Seafoam in intake = Don't do it. Basically what hansonc said, plus you may risk burning or melting your cats.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I ran 6 ounces through my crankcase for about 400 miles. Oil looked close to new for 1000 miles of driving before I put seafoam in. After I put it in the crankcase, 400 miles later it was visibly worse. Drained and refilled with synthetic. Nice way of flushing out the oiling system. Have done it on every vehicle I have ever owned, including my 2013 Ecoboost. There is nothing wrong with it in your oil or gas.

I also used 2 cans of BG44K with 40 gallons of gas to clean the injectors and combustion chambers.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I don't particularly see a need for adding injector cleaner, my rationale is at least where I live nearly every station has 10% ethanol blend.
I wouldn't use it at all if the stations around my area had better gas. Back when my dad bought his 2004, he filled up not far from the dealer. So much water in gas it ran like a three legged dog killed the fuel pump.

Edit: not saying they will fix an issue like this, just stating how bad some of them are lol

·
Administrator
7,836 Posts
My truck runs perfect [even better with the tune(s)] so why would I want to do this??

I did run seafoam through my engine on my 03 Mustang but that was to clean out the carbon deposits, you do that on these trucks (or boosted engines) you will fry your turbo(s) and clog your cats.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Injector cleaners can be useful. Stuff like techron lubricates the injectors and cleans out carbon deposits from them, which is even more important in DI engines, where injectors are directly exposed to combustion. I don't know what ethanol percentage has to do with this but I think it's worthwhile to run an injector cleaner once in a while...

I don't see the virtue of any oil additives. Oils have enough additives and detergents in them to keep your engine's internals clean, as long as you change it regularly and use a quality oil, preferably a good full syn. Also our engine's VVT operation is dependent on oil pressure to actuate the phasers, I wouldn't want to add anything that will affect the motor oil viscosity.

·
Registered
264 Posts
For one ethanol is a serious cleanser etc. and it also assist in the combustion process leaving less residue. When coupled with other detergents in top tier gas I'd say you have all you need. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm thinking: Why? A feel good thing? Quality oil and gasoline don't need any additional chemicals IMHO.
I bought a used Taurus with 110,000 miles on it. I started using Seafoam poured in the fuel tank and the MPG went from 19 to 29 after about 5 tanks of fuel. It pays to keep the system clean IMHO.

·
Administrator
7,836 Posts
I bought a used Taurus with 110,000 miles on it. I started using Seafoam poured in the fuel tank and the MPG went from 19 to 29 after about 5 tanks of fuel. It pays to keep the system clean IMHO.

Attachments

·
Registered
561 Posts
Any history of what the previous owner(s) used for fuel? Oil change interval? Just sayin' Top Tier certified fuel has never given me cause to doctor it up and I have never used a de icer since corn squeezin's were added many years ago. Just my experience, yours may vary.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Any history of what the previous owner(s) used for fuel? Oil change interval? Just sayin' Top Tier certified fuel has never given me cause to doctor it up and I have never used a de icer since corn squeezin's were added many years ago. Just my experience, yours may vary.
No not for fuel used, dealership always changed oil as she had the maintenance contact. I have had several oxygen sensor CELs since using it, and removed oxygen sensor at first one to find carbon chunk on it. After that just drove it and CEL cleared later same day (assuming same carbon).
I had used Seafoam before but after buying this car and seeing the very poor fuel milage I was advised by a friend who works at dealer to use it again. I then read an article where Berryman B12 chemtool world better and was cheaper ( wal mart) so I started using it. Still use it every other tank

1 - 20 of 47 Posts