F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Ecoboost that intermittently has a loud vacuum noise that comes from the front drivers side of the truck. There is no rhyme or reason to when this happens. I get it while in 4 wheel drive, and in 2 wheel drive. Has anyone experienced the same? If so what was the issue? The dealership wants me to bring the vehicle in, but I fear it will be a waste of time since replication is very hit and miss. I may get it daily, or once per month.
I also have a ticking noise that comes from the vehicle while it is in park or idling while in gear. Has anyone experienced the same? If so was there anything that would make the ticking go away?

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
The ticking noise is the direct injection and is completely normal. Is this your first Turbo vehicle? Turbos make all kinds of vacuum noises as the waste gate opens to dump excess boost. If you have no drivibility issues when you hear the noise and no CEL it is probably normal. Also at high altitude turbos spin up much faster due to the thinner air, so all the turbo noises will be a little louder.

Also, Welcome to the forum! Enjoy that EcoBeast!

SPPD

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply. I love the truck, it is a lot of fun, and has performed very well in the off-road arena, and in high mountain snow.
I previously owned an F-250 with a 7.3 liter turbo diesel, but as you probably know, with that engine it was just one big cackle.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Yup, that big old 7.3 is a beast! Without that diesel chug all the turbo noises really stand out in a gasser.

SPPD

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
It is the best you can get for towing in a gasser! I bought mine mainly for towing our 8800lb travel trailer and sometimes I forget it is even back there. These things were built to tow and they ride even better with a full load in the bed or on the bumper. One of the members here AKKingBoost has had great success towing all kinds of stuff up in Alaska which speaks volumes about the capabilities of this truck for towing.

SPPD

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate your input!
The truck so far has been exactly what I want.
My kids are the same as yours, the difference in the 150 and the 250 are night and day. I like the noise difference, so if this truck can tow my boat, as you say, it is the perfect vehicle.
You take yours off the road?
The short wheel base, and the handling is unreal.
My gauge is how it does on tough terrain, and so far it has been a big winner.
My big question is how well it will hold up over 100k on though roads. I bought this vehicle because it is highly recommended by people that work the oil fields and on the hard roads where we hunt. My 250 was unreal, so I hope this one treats me the same.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
No off road for me since I went with the rwd only. My Eco is really just a tow vehicle for us and an occasional grocery getter kid hauler. I very rarely drive my own car since I have a "company car". I used to be really into the off road stuff and had a Wrangler and a Z-71 Tahoe, but not anymore. Longevity wise I think these trucks are very well built and will stand up to the abuse.

SPPD

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We have had a Suburban, that was an great mountain vehicle, and our Toyota's have treated us well. We will see how this vehicle treats us in the future.
Thanks for all the input!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
2 Participants
Kenmercer
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing