F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3.7 DOHC from a 2011 Mustang that I am transplanting into another car. I know of a 3.5 Ecoboost that is basically a parts engine. I may be able to buy the exhaust manifolds and turbos from it. Will the manifolds and turbos fit my 3.7 (I think they will). What would be a fair street price for the very used manifolds and turbos? Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes you can bolt on the manifolds and turbos. I would suggest getting the Super Six Adapter Kit with gaskets/lines and instructions on where to tie in everything to make it work. That would be the easiest way.
There were two different people selling unused kits cheaper on Cyclone Parts Exchange Facebook.

Use 13+ Gen 1 turbos with a BOV, don’t use the the 11-12 with integrated bypass valves.
MPT - More Power Tuning is who you will want to tune the kit. They’ve tuned almost all if not all the kits on 3.7 Mustangs I know of.
Also if you can get the stock F150 3.5 EB charge pipes and intake pipes you can cut those up and use them to fabricate you cold side pipe routing.

If you need a set of downpipe from turbo to 3.7 exhaust let me know (message) as I have a set I’d be willing to sell for a good price. They fit and work, used them for tuning and then installed a custom set of bigger downpipes.

good luck

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yes you can bolt on the manifolds and turbos. I would suggest getting the Super Six Adapter Kit with gaskets/lines and instructions on where to tie in everything to make it work. That would be the easiest way.
There were two different people selling unused kits cheaper on Cyclone Parts Exchange Facebook.

Use 13+ Gen 1 turbos with a BOV, don’t use the the 11-12 with integrated bypass valves.
MPT - More Power Tuning is who you will want to tune the kit. They’ve tuned almost all if not all the kits on 3.7 Mustangs I know of.
Also if you can get the stock F150 3.5 EB charge pipes and intake pipes you can cut those up and use them to fabricate you cold side pipe routing.

If you need a set of downpipe from turbo to 3.7 exhaust let me know (message) as I have a set I’d be willing to sell for a good price. They fit and work, used them for tuning and then installed a custom set of bigger downpipes.

good luck

Just curious and off topic, what's the benefit of using the 3.7?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it goes like this. I have a project car, a 1988 Dodge Conquest that I bought cheap from a guy in South Carolina. I have always liked those cars but for some insane reason they didn't sell too well. Now they have a sort of cult following. The stock turbo'd four puts out approximately 160-200hp but even at that they are fairly quick. It looks to me like a perfect platform for a hotter engine. I had considered a 2.3 Ecoboost but they are still too expensive. And then a 3.5 Ecoboost but they are direct injected and all I could see was money. The direct injection requires an expensive ECU and good wrecking yard engines are pricey. Then I read about the 3.7. It is all aluminum, DOHC, and is nearly identical in build to the 3.5, sans turbo's. It produces 305hp stock, can be turboed, and is a narrow 60 degree configuration. You can bolt 3.5 turbo's and exhaust manifolds on it as well using an exhaust adapter plate. So with a little work I could get a very reliable and fast motor putting out 400hp+. Should drop into the Conquest easily. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,899 Posts
I should ignore this thread because I am satisfied with the 305HP of my 2012 F150 3.7

It's been a flawless truck too, except for a throttle position sensor that failed on my dad at the grocery store.

Fingers in ears now. Lalalala

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
318 Posts
I should ignore this thread because I am satisfied with the 305HP of my 2012 F150 3.7

It's been a flawless truck too, except for a throttle position sensor that failed on my dad at the grocery store.

Have you towed anything with it? I think the base engine in f150, even the Silverado 4.3, are unsung heros.

·
Premium Member
5,899 Posts
I towed many thousands of miles across the country. Never heavy.

This motor definitely makes its power up high. It's a revver.

The second tow package exceeds 4000lbs and I towed that EVERYWHERE while I lived on the road for about 3 months. It was my Hillbilly tow hauler camper. Had 2 motorcycles at times. (a KLR on the back)

·
Registered
32 Posts

It would be so much easier to do the 3.7 ecoboost kit on the 3.7 F150 truck with all the room and take off stuff out of a 3.5 F150 to begin with, down pipes, cold side piping, then it was on my 3.7 mustang.

On a side note I’ve been running the 3.7 F150 oil cooler on my 3.7 mustang since 2015 fbo NA and now with the 3.7 ecoboost kit. I also run a Coyote 80mm TB from same year mustang GT as my 3.7. The electrical connection is plug and play. I do run my own ported intake manifolds to support the added airflow when I was NA, now FI just icing on the cake.

Attachments

·
Registered
318 Posts
I towed many thousands of miles across the country. Never heavy.

This motor definitely makes its power up high. It's a revver.

The second tow package exceeds 4000lbs and I towed that EVERYWHERE while I lived on the road for about 3 months. It was my Hillbilly tow hauler camper. Had 2 motorcycles at times. (a KLR on the back)

Woah. A trailer within a trailer, inception?!
I like the ingenuity

·
Administrator
10,230 Posts
The mustang that @3.7ecoboost has in here is awesome!

Please document your build here, if it happens, in the off topic forum. I love seeing stuff like this and that 3.7 with turbos deserves respect!

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Turbos go anywhere from $400-600 a piece depending if they are 11-12 or 13+. As mentioned the BOV configuration is different. Exhaust manifolds are dirt cheap, like $45 a side. I've seen used turbos on here go for about $300 each. I'd say if you can get both turbos and manifolds for under $600, you made out pretty good. That's assuming there isn't 100K on them though. Be sure to double check the mileage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can see this is going to be a 2 year project (at least). I'll begin posting pics when I get started this summer. That is a cool trailer rig. Most everything a man needs! Nice port work

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I posted this "essay" earlier but only the first line came through. Trying again.:(

I can see this is going to be a 2 year project (at least). I'll begin posting pics when I get started this summer.

That is a cool trailer rig. Most everything a man needs! Nice intake port work.

I have a line on an unused Megasquirt controller. Since this motor is not direct injected I think it may work provided it can read boost. I think it does but still checking, next week. I will check out the aftermarket manifolds. Why are turbo's without an integrated waste gate preferred over those having an integrated waste gate? I believe that this waste gate mechanism controls maximum turbo boost doesn't it? Blowoff valves are used to prevent compressor surge, a phenomenon that readily occurs when lifting off the throttle of an unvented, turbocharged engine (WikiPedia). What size are the stock 3.5 exhaust pipes? 2.5" maybe?

What have I learned lately? Well, the 3.5 has lower compression than the 3.7. I assume this is to keep the overall compression ratio within a safe level when turbo'd. So turbocharging a 3.7 might require lower boost in order to prevent detonation. Lower compression might be the best $$way to cure that, but a number of people have boosted the stock 3.7 and made it work. Methanol and water could be used as an "octane booster" by helping to eliminate detonation. It wouldn't be a deal breaker for a car that isn't driven a lot, or even a lot. Just have to monitor fluid level, remotely with a cockpit mounted gauge would be trick. I would guess that the temperature of boosted air must be kept lower as well as excessive heat will affect horsepower and promote detonation. Both the 3.5 and 3.7 are essentially the same motor excepting; the 3.5 has lower compression and shorter stroke, twin turbo's, direct injection in addition to port injection, does not support use of a manual transmission because the ECU is configured for automatic only. Caveat: a 6spd manual trans will bolt up to a 3.5. The only trans option I am aware of is from a Mustang with the 3.7. It is called an MT82. Ford now markets a new controller for the 3.5 but it costs about $1,900. The 3.5 controller and 3.7 controller do not interchange. Both engines are DOHC and externally look the same except for the turbo's. Internally they are built the same; aluminum heads, block, oil pan, and timing cover. 4 valve heads, twin cam with variable valve timing, forged steel crank, forged steel rods (I think they start as powdered metal), cast supereutectic aluminum pistons.

Whew. Enough for now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DNA Dan,

You will be surprised, but earlier today I found a twin pack of brand new FoMoCo turbo's for $500 and free shipping. Stock FoMoCo manifolds, new, for $53 each. These are brand new parts! I'd say that is pretty darn cheap and I am surprised.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am going to hijack my own thread and put a plug in. Anyone have a manual MT82 6 speed transmission for sale. Need clutch and flywheel too. Or maybe it would be wise to go aftermarket on those clutch items. PM me

1 - 18 of 18 Posts