F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ford F-150 4WD Lariat Sport, SuperCrew, 4WD, 3.5 EcoBoost, Special Edition Package
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Every now and then, I like to rev the engine a little, but when I did it today noticed a distinct difference in noise beginning around 3,500 RPM and above. The engine sound turns more coarse and reminds me of Honda's VTEC kicking in at a predetermined RPM. I recorded this sound clip with my phone under the front right wheel well, with the RPM going from idle to hitting the rev limiter at 4,000 RPM.
This sound difference is noticeable between 0:07 and 0:08 in the video.

Just as interesting, I decided to pull out my old Xbox One and listen to the sound of the 2017 Ford GT with the same 2nd gen 3.5 in Forza Horizon 3. At the same RPM, the same distinct difference in sound my F-150 makes can be heard in the game. In this sound clip, the engine RPM varies from idle to 4,000.
This sound difference is noticeable starting at 0:03 in the video and is heard several times throughout.

I know Ford isn't using VVL, but what am I hearing? It sounds like VVL. The best way I can describe this sound difference is to Honda's VTEC kicking in at a certain RPM. I know the 3.5 EB uses TI-VCT, aka VVT. Does the first-gen 3.5 and regular Duratec 35 do this too, or is it exclusive to the 2nd gen? At this point, there's no way it's just my 3.5 doing this because the same sound can be heard in a video game as well.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Also if they were using a vvl system it wouldn’t work in a parked condition. You would need to be moving for it to kick in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Ford F-150 4WD Lariat Sport, SuperCrew, 4WD, 3.5 EcoBoost, Special Edition Package
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No mention of Ford in either type of VVL

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
I know Ford doesn't use VVL, but what am I hearing that sounds like VVL? In both videos a distinct coarseness can be heard beginning around 3,500 rpm. It reminds me of Honda Vtec but that kicks in at a higher rpm.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I know Ford doesn't use VVL, but what am I hearing that sounds like VVL? In both videos a distinct coarseness can be heard beginning around 3,500 rpm. It reminds me of Honda Vtec but that kicks in at a higher rpm.
VTEC also does NOT engage unless the vehicle is in motion. What you may be hearing is the wastegate or bov venting to prevent an overboost because you are not in gear and or in motion as well. Just a guess that Ford would have safety systems like this because people are people and will accidentally stab the throttle while in park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts