F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Checked yesterday and the paper flaps, so positive pressure. Didn't have any time today but I plan to remove and inspect the catch can tomorrow. I think I recall reading somebody had an issue with a blockage or something previously
I would for sure double check that the lines are not blocked. Even without the PCV hooked up, you should have zero pressure coming out.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
You can always hook up a boost gauge to the oil cap and read crankcase pressure. Then just go for a drive and watch it. That would give you an idea if it truly is crankcase pressure.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Turbo isn't smoking at all. We've established this in my thread. Do you mean to tell me @BRoell turbo is smoking too and his crank counterweights are doing the same thing? Then what are you going to do about warranting that? It's a manufacturer defect.

Here's a picture of the logs tonight.
You can see the exhaust valve is pulsing. The pull is a WOT and the intake valves is opening and closing at a rate the power is coming on. The exhaust is pulsing like the cam isn't opening and closing properly. To me it sounds like it's either the springs are too stiff or the vct clogged. I couldn't imagine a valve dropped.

View attachment 171692 View attachment 171693 View attachment 171694

Here's my valve covers under the pcv. The driver I can see plastic and is relatively dry. The passenger is coated in oil which I don't think is supposed to happen.

Driver

View attachment 171688

Passenger

View attachment 171689 View attachment 171690 View attachment 171691

It's tough to see from the picture but I promise you the passenger side is full of oil.
One thing to keep in mind, the PCV side(11-12 trucks) is located at the lower portion of the valve cover baffling. That will cause pooling to be visible.

The CCV side is higher up on the valve cover so you will most likely not see pooling at all. It may be pooling on that side as well, just not visible.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I'll buy a spare cap and tap it. Might still try to gauge the catch can inlet and outlets too because... I dunno
Even a mechanical vacuum/pressure gauge will suffice. Ideally you should see zero movement on the gauge. That would mean the crankcase is evacuating properly.

If anything, it should go ever so slightly negative when in boost.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I'll have to rattle this around in my brain a bit. We're sucking bypass/ case pressure from the valve covers, so at this point in my head, it seems like the lower passenger port would suck more oil and keep the level lower, and the higher port on drivers side would allow more pooling before getting sucked out. Can you straighten me out? Can't afford a therapist :ROFLMAO:

Maybe the visual will help me if I get around to pulling valve covers this weekend
It all depends on how much vacuum the turbo inlets provide. If it’s sucking up oil, then the intake tubes are restrictive. You have to find a good in-between. That way you provide some vacuum to the crankcase while not neutering performance. Otherwise you’re just better running breathers.

The passenger side valve cover has quite a bit more baffling than the driver side. But each valve cover has holes that drain-back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts