F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dogs usually ride in the back of the truck under the cap, but i very frequently end up on dusty dirt roads and if the windows are open, the back gets filled with dust. If I close the windows the dogs will slow cook back there between the sun and heat.

Anyone have any good ideas to ventilate the cap, but also prevent dust from getting in? Hood scoops, one facing forward to pull air in, one facing rear to let air out?

Also thinking about insulating the roof of the cap to cut down the solar load.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sorry I don't remember where to buy it or what it's called but back when I was competing in a sport with my German Shepherd I had this donut deal that went between the cab and the camper shell so you could open both sliding rear windows and that way the A/C goes into the bed. That is, of course, if you have the sliding window on the shell.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I don't remember where to buy it or what it's called but back when I was competing in a sport with my German Shepherd I had this donut deal that went between the cab and the camper shell so you could open both sliding rear windows and that way the A/C goes into the bed. That is, of course, if you have the sliding window on the shell.
That is a great idea but unfortunately i dont have a slider on the shell.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
That is a great idea but unfortunately i dont have a slider on the shell.

I tried this already. The air does not flow well through the back. I even opened a window in the rear, but it still seemed like the cooled cab air just didn't want to move towards the back.

I think your best best is to insulate the top with some dual layered reflective material. I'd check out the products from second skin audio. Their heat barriers are the bomb. Dust is a problem. I don't see how you're going to get cool air without dust unless you have some filtered system pumping cool air back there.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried this already. The air does not flow well through the back. I even opened a window in the rear, but it still seemed like the cooled cab air just didn't want to move towards the back.

I think your best best is to insulate the top with some dual layered reflective material. I'd check out the products from second skin audio. Their heat barriers are the bomb. Dust is a problem. I don't see how you're going to get cool air without dust unless you have some filtered system pumping cool air back there.
I just happen to work for the company who makes the best commercially available thermal insulation on the planet :cool:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Score!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Been 2 decades since I had a shell on my truck but I did have sliders on the cab and the shell and the donut worked great. I always thought water would leak around it but it didn’t. It did everything that I hoped it might do but the air conditioner did work it’s heart out.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'd get two hood scoops, like you've suggested, one facing forward to let air in, one facing rearward to let air out. I'd buy a sheet of this home air filter material, which you can cut to fit the scoop openings, to keep the incoming dust out. Found these scoops, they have a large opening relative to the overall scoop size, might work?

20170719a.jpg
hood scoop1c.jpg
hood scoop1b.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
They make RV scoops very similar for toy haulers because the garage area may have gasoline based toys inside.

They can be opened and closed in varying degrees and yea, one will face forward and the other will face backwards.

Might work pretty good

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Isn't there a knock out on the bed of the truck? I thought I remember seeing a spot up front by the cab you can pop out. This might encourage more airflow while moving.

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
Isn't there a knock out on the bed of the truck? I thought I remember seeing a spot up front by the cab you can pop out. This might encourage more airflow while moving.
2 of them, in fact.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts