F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 xlt super crew 2.7l 2wd

When driving I am hearing a -let’s call it whirring- noise, definitely mechanical in nature. Faster does seem to make it more pronounced.

I suspect the front driver wheel hub but the recommended test was inconclusive. This is the jack it up and pull on the tire at 12&6 and at 9&3 and see what difference wiggle there is. - didn’t feel much play either direction.

I took a video, for sound, while driving. Hoping someone on here can either confirm it’s a failing hub or point me toward other possible causes to look at.
Recorded Sound

·
Premium Member
7,099 Posts
Just sounds like tire/road noise to me.

·
Premium Member
7,099 Posts
Reading really is fundamental.
Well, yeah...wheel bearing seems like the most likely.
What do you hear in that video that points you toward wheel bearing failure ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. Will rotate tonight and see if that resolves it, or at least moves the sound. I’m really hoping it isn’t the read differential…

I don’t think it’s road noise since this is a relatively (w/i months) new addition to my duly drive.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Wheel bearing is my first thought also, one of the first not so routine things I had to fix on my 16, my buddy with a 15 replaced one then the other just months later.

Other things to check tho, brake job recently? Make sure the pads are seated properly and that no debris has gotten stuck in the caliper, a dead giveaway that it's a brake issue would be deep grooves in the rotor. I haven't seen it on an f150 specifically but it also kinda sounds like you have some mud tires on there, if you didn't upgrade the rotors they will get hotter than stock since you are stopping more rotating mass, if those are real hot, especially if you get them wet while hot, they have a tendency to warp and you could be running a tight enough clearance to have them touch the pad without the brakes engaged.

Just spitballing to give you some things to check

·
Registered
181 Posts
Standard all season tires, they are 20’s though.

Thanks for the ideas on the brakes. I’ll check them when I rotate the tires.
I just tried listening from my computer at work and all I am hearing is road noise from the tire, mine pretty much sound like that all the time and even develop a bit of a rhythm like I am hearing in the video. not to be a complete dork but it sounds exactly like a pod racer from star wars. it also happens when you run a tire underinflated and the edges wear more than the center. even when you properly inflate the tire at that point the tread is still cupped and will still create a noise. check tread depth on edge vs center to see if there is a noticeable difference, again, spitballing

·
Registered
1 Posts
2018 xlt super crew 2.7l 2wd

When driving I am hearing a -let’s call it whirring- noise, definitely mechanical in nature. Faster does seem to make it more pronounced.

I suspect the front driver wheel hub but the recommended test was inconclusive. This is the jack it up and pull on the tire at 12&6 and at 9&3 and see what difference wiggle there is. - didn’t feel much play either direction.

I took a video, for sound, while driving. Hoping someone on here can either confirm it’s a failing hub or point me toward other possible causes to look at.
Recorded Sound
Had a similar problem with a 2012. The front hubs partially engaging or not fully shifting into or out of position between 2 wheel and 4 wheel drive. Common problem in 2012 and 2013, but not sure if it persists in later years. the fix is replacing the vacuum pump and making sure there are no vacuum leaks. Good luck.

·
Registered
2013 race red SCrew 4x4 air lift bags
2,413 Posts
Had a similar problem with a 2012. The front hubs partially engaging or not fully shifting into or out of position between 2 wheel and 4 wheel drive. Common problem in 2012 and 2013, but not sure if it persists in later years. the fix is replacing the vacuum pump and making sure there are no vacuum leaks. Good luck.
It's 2wd.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar noise on my 2012 Lariat 4wd. I jacked up the front end and spun the wheel to listen for a bad wheel bearing noise, but with the engine off and no vacuum, when you spin the tire, it also spins the axle shaft and differential. When you start the engine to create vacuum and disengage the 4wd, its hard to hear a bad bearing sound over the noise of the running engine. I disassembled the hub and disconnected the axle and it was obvious that the hub bearings were bad. Replaced the hub assembly and the sound went away!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had a similar noise on my 2012 Lariat 4wd. I jacked up the front end and spun the wheel to listen for a bad wheel bearing noise, but with the engine off and no vacuum, when you spin the tire, it also spins the axle shaft and differential. When you start the engine to create vacuum and disengage the 4wd, its hard to hear a bad bearing sound over the noise of the running engine. I disassembled the hub and disconnected the axle and it was obvious that the hub bearings were bad. Replaced the hub assembly and the sound went away!
Very good point, could u pull the vac line off the hub and pull a vacuum to disengage the axle while the engine is off? You could probably pull a few lbs of vac with a syringe even. I want to say the vac is a mild 7psi or so. I am only thinking about this because I had a vac line rub at the wheeled and had to rig something up until I could get it to the shop and it worked surprisingly well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts