F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2013 F150 FX4 Crewcab Ecoboost. It has the 20in Pirelli tires. I've noticed a vibration between 70 and 80 pretty much since it was new. I have 11,000 miles on it now. I've taken it several times to the dealer and had tire rotated and balanced and it did not fix it. The dealer finally told me they thought it was a bad tire and sent me to a Pirelli tire dealer. The dealer replaced the tires for $64 with no questioned asked, well it still has the vibration. Is anyone having this issued and what have y'all done to fix it. It should be noted i have owned 3 FX4's since 2009 and have never had this problem.

Thanks,
Ross

·
Registered
943 Posts
Have a 2013 F150 FX4 Crewcab Ecoboost. It has the 20in Pirelli tires. I've noticed a vibration between 70 and 80 pretty much since it was new. I have 11,000 miles on it now. I've taken it several times to the dealer and had tire rotated and balanced and it did not fix it. The dealer finally told me they thought it was a bad tire and sent me to a Pirelli tire dealer. The dealer replaced the tires for $64 with no questioned asked, well it still has the vibration. Is anyone having this issued and what have y'all done to fix it. It should be noted i have owned 3 FX4's since 2009 and have never had this problem.

Thanks,
Ross
I would suggest gieeting rid of the Pirellis.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would suggest gieeting rid of the Pirellis.
Well I didn't have any problems with the Pirellis on my 2011. I've heard those tires are no good though. But I should not have to fix this myself the truck is still under warranty.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ford dealer have Good Year tires in stock, demand they replace your Pirelli with
GY or Michelin

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Is that high speed balance the same as like a hard balance. I've heard people talk about it but wasn't to sure what it's about
I believe what you mean is called road force balance. I believe it applies force against the tire simulating it being against the road all while being on the balance machine.
I had a bad vibration on mine, brought it in and they did a road force balance and said it was fixed.
Brought it back for the same thing and they repeated it and this time replaced one rear tire.
My question was why did it take a second trip to replace the tire, why not replace it the first time. No comment!
Still have vibration but much less then it was. Also have a lot of vibration in drive line when in tow & haul going down hill with my job trailer behind.
5 year 70K warranty so I have plenty of time.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe what you mean is called road force balance. I believe it applies force against the tire simulating it being against the road all while being on the balance machine. I had a bad vibration on mine, brought it in and they did a road force balance and said it was fixed. Brought it back for the same thing and they repeated it and this time replaced one rear tire. My question was why did it take a second trip to replace the tire, why not replace it the first time. No comment! Still have vibration but much less then it was. Also have a lot of vibration in drive line when in tow & haul going down hill with my job trailer behind. 5 year 70K warranty so I have plenty of time.
Thanks. Yea I have noticed worst vibration when towing also. Guess I am going to have to raise some hell at the dealership. Lol

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Is that high speed balance the same as like a hard balance. I've heard people talk about it but wasn't to sure what it's about
The 'High Speed Balance' spins the tire up to a really high speed during the balancing process. It simulates over 60mph but I can't recall exactly how fast. It used on high performance/high horsepower fun machines that are more likely to see those speeds routinely. You know like an Ecoboost.

Here is a result from a search I did. This company says it goes up to 120mph. http://www.butlertire.com/services.asp

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
The 'High Speed Balance' spins the tire up to a really high speed during the balancing process. It simulates over 60mph but I can't recall exactly how fast. It used on high performance/high horsepower fun machines that are more likely to see those speeds routinely. You know like an Ecoboost.

Here is a result from a search I did. This company says it goes up to 120mph. Vibration Correction with Hi-Speed On-the-Car Wheel Balancing - Butler Tire in Atlanta, GA
True, I believe they are two different types of balance. Road force is used to simulate, tire pressure when actually mounted to the truck and driving down the road and help detect defective tires.
I'm not sure which one the original poster meant, most drivers are not aware of the different types of balancing methods and most shops do not carry the road force machine due to cost.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
We just had a work truck that developed a vibration and it was due to an alignment issue. I just recently leveled my 13 XLT and the guy asked me if it was wearing tires before the level. I said it was cupping the fronts after 5000 miles and he told me that it was on of the worst rigs he had seen after a leveling kit had been put in. He thinks it was close to being out of spec before the leveling kit was put on.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We just had a work truck that developed a vibration and it was due to an alignment issue. I just recently leveled my 13 XLT and the guy asked me if it was wearing tires before the level. I said it was cupping the fronts after 5000 miles and he told me that it was on of the worst rigs he had seen after a leveling kit had been put in. He thinks it was close to being out of spec before the leveling kit was put on.
I have leveled mine also, but I had the front end aligned 2x since then just to make sure. I've also leveled my other 2 Fx4's I had and had no issues with them like this.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hmmmm, hope you can figure it out soon. Good Luck!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Put my truck in the shop again today. See if they can fix it. They gave me a 2012 Silverado to drive. I hate it!!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts