F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, let me introduce myself as Mike, I am posting this to gauge interest in seeing how many of you would like to have your Ecoboost intake valves walnut blasted by yours truly. I already have a couple of local guys by me that are interested in having it done, and will try to use the best process possible on those two before continuing to actually offer this service to any of you.

I am coming from the BMW N54/N55(135,335,535etc) platform and have completed this process on many of those cars, and I even had the pleasure of cleaning the valves on an Audi R8 V10.

I uploaded a few pictures from 3 of the many jobs I have already done.
The first set(5) of pictures provided are from an N54 with about 85k miles on it, the cleaning also resolved a jumpy idle issue on this specific car, customer was pleased with the throttle response as well.
The second set(5) are from the R8 that I had done for a friend. This car had only about 32k miles, I only had 1 before pic so the other 3 are of different valves. This was a fun one to clean to say the least(sarcasm).
The last set(7) of pictures are from my personal 335Xi(N54) which had about 46k miles when done, in this set I include a look at the throttle body being before and after as well.

EVERY engine that gets this process done gets new intake manifold gaskets and a new throttle body gasket. I also take into consideration when removing various sensors, to clean those as well before reinstalling everything.

For anyone curious, I do this mainly as a side/weekend job out of my own garage as I am currently serving full time in the military. I am located near Omaha, Nebraska but I will be moving back North East, specifically close to Scranton, Pennsylvania, as I will be separating and transitioning back into the civilian world in about a year. If there is enough interest I will continue to offer this after all is said and done. Pricing I can not say for sure yet as I have not done one of these engines, but will estimate at $350. Each cleaning takes anywhere from 4-6 hours on the cars I have done in the past.
When I complete my first one I will post before and after pictures and will set price accordingly.
As I said earlier this is mainly a feeler as I am trying to see how many of you actually want to get this cleaning done before I offer it to you all. So let's see a raise of hands that want to see their own valves this shiny 20180505_201314_1550571651112.jpg ! Thanks for reading if you made it this far. FB_IMG_1550568581896_1550571444764.jpg 20180505_201314_1550571651112.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
Subscribed. I'm a firm believer in walnut blasting. I have been researching this since I bought my Ecoboost in 2011. In 2012 it was converted to dual fuel natural gas and at that time it only had 14K Km's on it and was already showing carbon formation! It hasn't been opened up since then and now has 150K Km's. The natural gas is injected as a port injection so I'm interested to see if that and an RX catch can has limited the carbon build up.

I already have a media blaster, intake port adaptor, shop vac, 60 gal shop compressor etc. I plan to do a bore scope inspection first and then follow up with cleaning.

BoostIsLife; Good luck and I hope you are successful. Direct Injection engines need this service.

P.S. I also have a 2006 VW TDI with 300K Km's that needs the turbo replaced so I will also be cleaning that one as they are notorious for clogged EGR system and intake.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Subscribed. I'm a firm believer in walnut blasting. I have been researching this since I bought my Ecoboost in 2011. In 2012 it was converted to dual fuel natural gas and at that time it only had 14K Km's on it and was already showing carbon formation! It hasn't been opened up since then and now has 150K Km's. The natural gas is injected as a port injection so I'm interested to see if that and an RX catch can has limited the carbon build up.

I already have a media blaster, intake port adaptor, shop vac, 60 gal shop compressor etc. I plan to do a bore scope inspection first and then follow up with cleaning.

BoostIsLife; Good luck and I hope you are successful. Direct Injection engines need this service.

P.S. I also have a 2006 VW TDI with 300K Km's that needs the turbo replaced so I will also be cleaning that one as they are notorious for clogged EGR system and intake.
Thank you very much for the kind words, hopefully I can get a large enough amount of people wanting this done. Good luck on your endeavors and if you ever would like advice or any know how message me any time, I've seen my fair share of carbon build up haha. I may even start making adapters to fit the intake ports to make the process easier if people want to do.

·
Registered
368 Posts
While there may be a bit of buildup, the ecoboost line of engines aren't prone to major coking issues. I've posted this before (post #24 and 25), but ford spent quite a bit of time addressing this issue using valve overlap and injection timing. I wish you the best of luck, and am all for keeping your truck as maintained as you want, but I also detest fear mongering and preying on people who don't know better ( I have a serious hatred for "service writers" who basically just got paroled from their fraud convictions). Early DI VWs, Audi and BMWs are certainly problem engines and can use this, but overall Ford's ecoboosts are not at all in the same category. There are definitely trucks out there with more blow-by than others and there are owners that want to keep their trucks in like-new condition. Your service offers that. Good luck.

Before we get into the "but ford uses dual injection now" argument, there are multiple reasons for dual injection, only one of which is buildup:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
While there may be a bit of buildup, the ecoboost line of engines aren't prone to major coking issues. I've posted this before (post #24 and 25), but ford spent quite a bit of time addressing this issue using valve overlap and injection timing. I wish you the best of luck, and am all for keeping your truck as maintained as you want, but I also detest fear mongering and preying on people who don't know better ( I have a serious hatred for "service writers" who basically just got paroled from their fraud convictions). Early DI VWs, Audi and BMWs are certainly problem engines and can use this, but overall Ford's ecoboosts are not at all in the same category. There are definitely trucks out there with more blow-by than others and there are owners that want to keep their trucks in like-new condition. Your service offers that. Good luck.

Before we get into the "but ford uses dual injection now" argument, there are multiple reasons for dual injection, only one of which is buildup:

Thanks for your concern, I hope I don't seem like im coming off as bringing the end of everyone's ecoboost, this was never my intention as I am not a fan of preying on people for money as you would see at your local dealer or shop. That is why all the jobs I do are only about $300-$400, there is no reason it should be higher, but if you call your local BMW dealer, you will get a jaw dropping quote of $900-$1200.
Even the Audi R8 that I cleaned, he got a quote from Audi at $1800-$2600!(depending on what would need to be replaced on their terms). It blows my mind that anyone would pay this insane amount.
So again, I hope no one is pressured to do this, but it is definitely something people want done, or I would not be here in the first place, as I have already been questioned about it.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I did mine with a gun cleaning kit, two cans of CRC gdi cleaner, carb spray and a brake bleeder siphon. Spent about $80 tops. That said, it was a messy, crappy job to do, but my results were very similar to yours. What I am interested in however with the walnut blasting is that margin of gunk at the valve seat. I have seen other walnut jobs that get at this. Why does this still appear in your photos? is this a function on what nozzle you use for the blasting? Seems like it should be better than this if you're blasting it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did mine with a gun cleaning kit, two cans of CRC gdi cleaner, carb spray and a brake bleeder siphon. Spent about $80 tops. That said, it was a messy, crappy job to do, but my results were very similar to yours. What I am interested in however with the walnut blasting is that margin of gunk at the valve seat. I have seen other walnut jobs that get at this. Why does this still appear in your photos? is this a function on what nozzle you use for the blasting? Seems like it should be better than this if you're blasting it.
That is the result of some very hard built up carbon, it was cleaned after with a mix of chemical and scraping, which I integrate into my process as well, it is not only walnut blasted to get spotless.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thats a pretty reasonable price and if you were closer i would bring you mine today lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry for the hold up for anyone that's interested. I live in part of the area that was affected by the major flooding we had here recently in Nebraska. I still plan on doing this and am getting things together to hopefully get it started soon!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Sorry for the hold up for anyone that's interested. I live in part of the area that was affected by the major flooding we had here recently in Nebraska. I still plan on doing this and am getting things together to hopefully get it started soon!
Sorry to hear that. Hope everything is ok with you and your family!
What part of Nebraska are you in?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry to hear that. Hope everything is ok with you and your family!
What part of Nebraska are you in?
Thanks! We're all good, I live in Bellevue right near Offutt AFB. Wasn't nearly as bad as some areas in the state but still had flooding that has held me up on things. Got adapters and some other things on the way, hoping to get at least one Ecoboost done asap.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Thanks! We're all good, I live in Bellevue right near Offutt AFB. Wasn't nearly as bad as some areas in the state but still had flooding that has held me up on things. Got adapters and some other things on the way, hoping to get at least one Ecoboost done asap.
Very nice! Im glad you are safe man. Was just curious because we were gonna head to ogallala this summer and was hoping you were close. But eh you are way west of that!
I hope you still get a few ecos in. I would imagine there is a good amount in Nebraska like there is in CO?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Very nice! Im glad you are safe man. Was just curious because we were gonna head to ogallala this summer and was hoping you were close. But eh you are way west of that!
I hope you still get a few ecos in. I would imagine there is a good amount in Nebraska like there is in CO?
Yeah I definitely see plenty around, but most probably don't even know there is this forum. I do already have a couple people interested locally though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
8 Participants
BoostIsLife
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing