F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got a 2013 XL with the 7-lug hubs and my brother has a 2014 XLT with the 6-lug. He is going to be getting new wheels fairly soon and will sell me his current stock wheels at a discount. I would like to upgrade my wheels from the big chrome plates that I have now to the nicer looking XLT wheels, my only issue is that they are 6-lug wheels. Has anyone switched out their hubs from 7-lug to 6-lug? Where did you buy the new hubs? Would there be any issues since I have the 3.73 gears?

Thanks

Edit: I also want to eventually put a PowerStop kit on the front which can't happen without 6-lug hubs.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
You’ll have to swap out the entire actual shaft that connects within the differential. Still shouldn’t be a huge deal as it’s a semi floating rear and not full floating. I haven’t done the Ford but on a GM I think they have a retaining clip and the axle slides out with a little influence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
So I've got a 2013 XL with the 7-lug hubs and my brother has a 2014 XLT with the 6-lug. He is going to be getting new wheels fairly soon and will sell me his current stock wheels at a discount. I would like to upgrade my wheels from the big chrome plates that I have now to the nicer looking XLT wheels, my only issue is that they are 6-lug wheels. Has anyone switched out their hubs from 7-lug to 6-lug? Where did you buy the new hubs? Would there be any issues since I have the 3.73 gears?

Thanks

Edit: I also want to eventually put a PowerStop kit on the front which can't happen without 6-lug hubs.
This would be a sin.

Reactions: madmaxmutt

·
Registered
6,871 Posts
This would be a sin.
Seriously. Destroying a perfectly good HD Payload truck. How about this, I will swap trucks with you plus cash ;)

If you really did wanna do this and ruin your rare Heavy duty F150, it looks like the rear axles should be a direct swap based on the diameter and number of splines listed in the Builders Guide for 2013. There was also non-HD Payload trucks with 3.73's so that will not be an issue.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I think the cost of axles would offset the discount in the wheels, also, yes this is a sin. You are choosing fashion over function, which is treasonous territory to many truck owners. Have a glass of water in the morning and a couple of advils, and reconsider that silliness!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm not interested enough to do a search myself, but check into the possibility
of installing spacers to convert it... then you'll still be able to sell it later to
someone wanting the heavy duty option (don't get rid of your original rims)
Also, it would probably be cheaper to buy some new rims than change the
axle / hub components.

·
Registered
6,871 Posts
I'm not interested enough to do a search myself, but check into the possibility
of installing spacers to convert it... then you'll still be able to sell it later to
someone wanting the heavy duty option (don't get rid of your original rims)
Also, it would probably be cheaper to buy some new rims than change the
axle / hub components.
I think the issue is that there are little to no aftermarket options for the weirdo 7 lug bolt pattern

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
After a quick search I found that RBP makes a few wheels in the 7x150 lug pattern and so does XD Rockstar 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After some research I decided to suck it up and buy once, cry once. I ended up finding a single set of 7-lug OEM ford wheels that look a lot better than the steel wheels that I have now and ended up buying them for $500 even. I also ended up nixing the powerstop kit idea and just went with powerstop pads and Centric slotted rotors on the front. Feels good finding the parts that let me keep the drivetrain as-is.

·
Registered
159 Posts
After some research I decided to suck it up and buy once, cry once. I ended up finding a single set of 7-lug OEM ford wheels that look a lot better than the steel wheels that I have now and ended up buying them for $500 even. I also ended up nixing the powerstop kit idea and just went with powerstop pads and Centric slotted rotors on the front. Feels good finding the parts that let me keep the drivetrain as-is.
Wise choice. :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts