F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stud on both drivers side and passenger side manifold in the location shown below have failed (2015 ecoboost). Fortunately the stud failed at the top of the flange where the nut seats against it rather than at the block.

I have an aftermarket warranty where they will not cover hardware failure, i.e. broken studs. My questions is this. Is it likely that the manifold has warped which led to the stud failure or is it likely the bolt failed and the manifold isn't warped? It's a distinction that will impact who pays for the repair. I want to know the likely culprit based on prior experience of others with this issue. Obviously I don't want to pay for the repair out of my pocket so how probable is it that the manifold warped which caused the stud to break. If the manifold warped, the warranty company will cover the repair. If the stud simply failed, that's on me.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Take a straight level to manifold gasket face and use a flashlight to see if the face is warped. It should be pretty noticeable. Studs don't break on their own or snap off without some force pushing/pulling on them (unless they are completely corroded.)

It's a design flaw, there should be another stud on the rear manifold flange, or the manifold should be built to withstand the heat better (ie CRP manifolds)

Your insurance company is giving you the runaround.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your insurance company is giving you the runaround.
That picture was a generic used for illustration. I plan to drop the truck to be repaired in the next couple of days so I just wanted to be prepared and prep the repair shop so they don't lead with "broken bolt" and give the warranty company a reason to say no if it was a result of warped manifold.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Manifold warps from heat, causing the stud to break. As described, studs don’t break on there own.

If they foot the bill, spend the money on the Stainless steel studs. I think @WooBoost has them in his build thread in the chat section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts