F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I don't know what the original had but I used blue on the big caliper mounting bolts.

I just checked my Haynes manual and it says the guide pin bolts for the caliper is 184 ft/lbs and the caliper mount bolts are 30 ft/lbs. That has to be wrong, I think the numbers need to be swapped.

#3 show below are the caliper mounting bolts, you'll need to remove this to take off the rotor.
View attachment 37336

Here are the torque specs from the Haynes manual below, I think the circled specs need to be swapped around, just doesn't make sense to me.
View attachment 37337

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Just got all new pads and rotors at 60K miles.Ford dealership tried to turn the rotors to the minimum safety point but the rotors still weren't trued. Truck had been shaking at high speed breaking since about 35K, i just never got around to it.

Unfortunately, its going to be around 1,000 bucks for all new rotors and pads. I should have done it sooner! But now the pads and rotors have a lifetime warranty.
Holy crap. That's why I do that sort of stuff in my driveway. StopTech rotors and pads for less than $500 sounds a lot better than OEM crap for $1,000+

·
Registered
2,787 Posts

·
Administrator
7,814 Posts
I was a little worried the first time I changed pads on my Legacy, but once it was done I thought "wow, that was easy". 50K miles later the rotors were bad...again, same feeling of being worried. Changed them out and was actually super impressed with how easy pads and/or rotors are to change out.

I will say, though, the worst part of replacing/upgrading brake shoes/rotors is the checking out portion.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The first time I needed to have brakes replaced on my first car (1980 mustang) when I was 16 I told my father I need $XXX.00 to borrow to have them done, he looked at me and said "sure, Ill be right back, let me run to the bank" (yes I remember this conversation vividly). He returned 30 minutes later with a box that had new pads, rotors, and a Haynes manual, looked at me and said "if you sit down with this book and my tools, you can figure it out yourself and don't have to repay me". 4 hours later I was finished and after 20 years at 18 different vehicles later, have never paid for a brake job since. I even do them for my friends and family in my driveway for the cost of parts and a 12 pack. Different size bits, but same basic components on everything.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Anyone know if rotors are warrantied by Ford? I have a 2013 F-150 with 22,000 miles on it and the rotors are already warped. So frustrating!
What a pain to get warped rotors so soon. Possibly ford isn't using the best metals for their rotors but heat is going to be your enemy. If your towing or live in a area with lots of hills and you have to ride your brakes harder that can contribute to heat. One thing I have learned and always do is torque your lug nuts especially if you have alloy wheels.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I haven't had a wheel off myself, I'm guessing they are floating calipers as per the norm. Sometimes when put together there might not be enough anti-seize used on the guides, one pad wears more than the other due to this. It can also cause the vibration that is normally attributed to warped rotors, and also can cause warped rotors due to un-even pressure on both sides while braking. just my .02

I would replace the pads, machine the rotors"if possible" and re-use them, you might find they're not warped. During installation, use marine grade nickel anti-seize on the guides, use brake clean on the rotors, bleed the brakes properly starting from the brake caliper furthest from the master cylinder and working your way to the closest one on all four, with the truck not running and maybe disconnect the battery due to the traction control and what not, just in case. Top up your fluid as needed and break in the brakes properly.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just recently had a similar "warped rotor" issue in my 14 screw with only 12k on it. Looking at the rotors they were real blotchy looking and it looks like the pad material was not bedding correctly into the rotor.

I took it out and beat the **** out of the brakes and the shaking is gone now.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Easy job, make sure to lube the sliders and pins. Spent $52 at the dealer for the OEM pads and $40 to get the rotors turned at 46K.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Mine were replaced around 31k just before I bought it used. I'm at 59k now, every week they shutter a little more, pretty sure they are warping nicely on their own.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I know this is an older thread but wanted to share: On my 2013, one rotor warped before I hit 3,000. Another around 35K. My friend - with a similar year (non ecoboost) also has gone thru 2 rotors.

Wondering if this was fixed with the rotors used in the '15 & '16?

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I know this is an older thread but wanted to share: On my 2013, one rotor warped before I hit 3,000. Another around 35K. My friend - with a similar year (non ecoboost) also has gone thru 2 rotors.

Wondering if this was fixed with the rotors used in the '15 & '16?

This makes me think, as I have thought with others, you did not properly heat cycle the new brakes.

I would like to see proof the rotor is warped and it is not a pad issue.

·
Registered
87 Posts
This makes me think, as I have thought with others, you did not properly heat cycle the new brakes.

I would like to see proof the rotor is warped and it is not a pad issue.
I can only go on what the dealer said when I brought it in for the monstrous shaking the truck did when I applied the brakes.

Under warranty they only machined the rotor (bad..bad..bad..bad..bad) - I didn't have a choice as I couldn't (at the time) afford the replacement cost.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I can only go on what the dealer said when I brought it in for the monstrous shaking the truck did when I applied the brakes.

Under warranty they only machined the rotor (bad..bad..bad..bad..bad) - I didn't have a choice as I couldn't (at the time) afford the replacement cost.
^^X2 exactly and my front pads were gone at 30K.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts