F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New here just bought a 2013 ecoboost about 5 weeks ago has 3000 miles on it now.Was wanting to get a tuner so i have 2 questions.Whats is the best for most mpg but some hp gains?And has anyone had issues with tuning then having trouble getting any kind of warranty work done? I have had to take to the dealership once already for the intercooler.Hoping for no more problems but if there is just dont want any hassle for warranty work because of the tuner.
Thanks

·
Registered
191 Posts
It is very likely that if you use a tuner on your truck and have any engine or transmission trouble, the repairs probably will not be covered under warranty. This might vary slightly from dealer to dealer.

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
Agree with bob... Very unlikely to get warranty work.
There are tons of different tuning options. The most talked about on this thread are Livernois, 5 star, MPT, and SCT canned tunes. Like most things, it's personal preference which of decide to go with. Do mass amounts of research before you pick any tuning option. Most these tunes re pricey, but remember that some things can fall under the "you get why you pay for" rule. I wouldn't never pick a cheaper tuning option that I wasn't comfortable with just because price... It's your moor and money at stake, so cheap isn't always good.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Geoff at Full Race has said that the SCT canned tunes are a good safe starting point and plenty of other tuners use the SCT for their tuning. It makes a copy of your stock tune the first time you use it and you can save a copy of that to a PC in case your device is broken, lost or stolen. If you try the canned tunes and want more, there are plenty of tuning companies to choose from.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I just read a review here on the AFE Scorcher for the EB that is a plug-in module that increases HP by 47 simply by increasing the boost by 2 pounds. It does NOT change the PCM so there would be no audit trail.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I just read a review here on the AFE Scorcher for the EB that is a plug-in module that increases HP by 47 simply by increasing the boost by 2 pounds. It does NOT change the PCM so there would be no audit trail.
That's correct. The Scorcher is the only way to go if you are worried about your warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
168 Posts
I havn't read any MPG gains.Some as the scorcher seems to stay around factory MPG,but gives a good jump & run!
Then again if you got one ,would you PLAY? Then MPG goes down.

·
Registered
537 Posts
You can see improved MPG with a canned tune from the SCT 87 octane tune. I think it is due to the new shifting points of the transmission more than any other reason. The Scorcher will provide the boost that lays the power to the pavement in nothing flat. I would not buy the Scorcher if it is MPG you are searching for. The added boost delivers power, if you have power you want to feel it and play. And as the old saying goes, "Ya Gotta Pay to Play".

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
I got 2-3 mpg better going from a level/wheels/tires on a stock tune to level/wheels/tires on a 93 Livernois tune. Not too mention an incredible amount of power gain...

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am going to get my PCM updated and I am a bit concerned about getting caught too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok my next question is have any of you that have tunned your truck had any problems out of them? If i do just a tune and a cold air intake should i be worried about any problems. I have a 99 7.3 powerstroke has tunes cai exhuast big turbo so i know there is always a risk of tearing something up but have any of you had any problems.
Thanks

·
Registered
537 Posts
I don't think anyone here has experienced any problems caused by having installed a tune or the CAI. Now, when it comes to taking their truck in many will remove the CAI and tune so that there are no "Tells" or indications of aftermarket add on products. There have even been a few who will go as far as to remove an aftermarket exhaust, and reinstalling the stock factory exhaust prior to a service appointment.

It has been said that the CPU will keep in memory any trace of a tuner having been installed for 300 miles after it has been removed....true of false I don't know. I did notice on the latest recall for the humidity falter issue it speaks of a way for the service tech to go back looking for fault codes that may have not shown with the basic CPU fault register code report.

As for the CAI, which isn't my cup of tea to begin with, bang for the buck I would go with the AFE Scorcher Module if it was power I was after. Adding a CAI will add air flow in, but without a free flowing exhaust your not going to move any more out. They are much louder than stock. You can add a cover to most CAI systems, but then that limits the amount of air allowed to the filter and your basicly back to where you started stock but with a larger air filter.

I know it is tough to have a new truck and want to play alittle with the aftermarket choices. So if you choose to do so, remember it is/was your choice to do so and not Ford Motor Company. Ford did a great job of pulling HP/TQ out of a little 6 cylinder engine. And yes there is more HP/TQ waiting to be unleashed, but to do so you gotta pay to play.....now the question is how much are you willing to pay?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I am going to get my PCM updated and I am a bit concerned about getting caught too.
Returned from the dealer without problems. Got the updates that I needed and ordered my tunes from MPT.

·
Registered
112 Posts
As far as I know all hand held tuners will return the program to stock when needed. And it is recommended to do so when ever going in for service.

·
Registered
75 Posts
As far as I know all hand held tuners will return the program to stock when needed. And it is recommended to do so when ever going in for service.
Yeah but ford still would know if they wanted to know and if it were coming down to fixing it under warranty they would def know u tuned it even if u return to stock. Which sucks. But that's the gamble we take I guess.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Actually just spoke with SCT via Facebook and the swear if I return to stock that no one will know it's been flashed. I don't know if that's a fact or sales tactic.

·
Premium Member
2,425 Posts
All programmers leave a footprint when you flash the ECU. I have never heard of any tuning / programming dealer swear that there will be no trace of a tune ever being installed...

·
Registered
75 Posts
All programmers leave a footprint when you flash the ECU. I have never heard of any tuning / programming dealer swear that there will be no trace of a tune ever being installed...
I spoke with my local dealer today and they suggested I use EDGE tuner or something I can plug and play. I was shocked he suggested programming my truck. I was asking him about warranty and programming and he said the plug and play programmers are safest and can be removed and set back to stock. I asked him about what happens if the tune f'd my tranny or engine and he said. I've been doing this for many many years and haven't had one issue with reputable programmer and the ecoboost was able to Handle at least another 200 horse and torque. Just passing it on. Do what u will and all dealers are obvi different. I've decided to go ahead and figure out either the Livernois or SCT. Can't wait !!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts