F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still having issues with my truck (rough idle, wide open throttle blurp/miss), I re-gapped the plugs and it helped for about a month but I'm back to where I started.. So, I'm going to call the dealership and make an appointment. My question is: do I need to remove me aFe intake before I take it in? Intake is the only mod I have.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I was at the dealer yesterday and talked with a service rep. He said they are logging any and all upgrades to any vehicle that comes in, per Ford.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there folks. New to the site, but saw this thread and felt compelled to write about it right-a-way. There is a federal law that was enacted in 1975 called The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. It is the federal statute that governs warranties on consumer products. In a Consumer Alert issued by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the agency confirmed that “The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part.” The alert outlines key provisions in the law that provides protections to car owners. As defined by the FTC, an “aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer.”

“The FTC’s reference to aftermarket parts is equally applicable to specialty parts,” said Russ Deane, SEMA’s General Counsel. “Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, the warranty cannot be conditioned to a specific brand of parts, services or vehicle modifications unless those parts or services are provided free of charge.” The alert notes that a consumer have the right to patronize independent retail stores and repair shops for parts and service without fear of voiding the new car warranty. The dealer/vehicle manufacturer has the right to deny a warranty repair but they must demonstrate that the aftermarket part caused the problem. The warranty remains in effect for all other covered parts. A number of years ago I lifted my F-250 and put some aftermarket parts and mods on it. When I took it in to have something looked at, they told me that because I had lifted it, and put a CAI on it that my warranty was voided. So I research and found The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act. In a nut she'll it says that you can do anything you want to your vehicle. But if something fails due to the aftermarket part, and they prove that was the cause, they can void that part from the warranty. But they have to prove that you mod caused the part to fail. Don't know how many people know about this. And I like to let my fellow truck owners know they are I protected by law.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm gonna take it off, mainly to avoid an argument and me blowing a fricken gasket.. From all that I've read it seems Ford plays the most "games" when it come to warranty application and procedures.

Side note, probably should have mentioned this first; I've always been under the impression that anything you do before the throttle body or after the cats is generally accepted as "ok", "safe" or "warranty friendly" mods..

Thanks for the input guys! I love my truck and I'm a loyal, many vehicle Ford owner but I am MASSIVELY frustrated with the performance of this truck.

A final thought, I often wonder if a programmer/tune would help resolve the issues I've been experiencing or if it would only magnify them...?

-Kevin

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sell it while you're at it....:p
I actually bought this from another member of this site!! ;) And while I've noticed no difference in performance, I absolutely LOVE the sounds (turbo whistle, blow off valves) that I can now hear through it!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Easier said than done. A dealer can simple refuse to work on your vehicle. Ford or any of them really can really make this difficult, time consuming, and expensive for the vehicle owner.

Manufacturers know this if they have a hunch even if its wrong they will many times take a stance.

This puts the owner into a situation. Take weeks or months to possibly get their car fixed under warranty. Incur costs of lawyers and time all while being without the vehicle.

Or pay out of pocket for the service and get the vehicle back in a couple business days.

Most people even though they might be in the right, will fold to the corporate pressure when they find out it will cost two to three times over and above warranty claim to proceed with the process of fighting.

The customer really is at the disadvantage.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I'm gonna take it off, mainly to avoid an argument and me blowing a fricken gasket.. From all that I've read it seems Ford plays the most "games" when it come to warranty application and procedures.

Side note, probably should have mentioned this first; I've always been under the impression that anything you do before the throttle body or after the cats is generally accepted as "ok", "safe" or "warranty friendly" mods.
It really depends on the dealership. Each one seem to vary.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I wouldn't suspect the tune would be the source of a rough idle.

I would allow the dealer to once over it.

You state you re-gapped the plugs and it helped for a month. Did you psychically alter the gap upon your initial inspection? If so what specification did you adjust them too? Did you check the gap again since the issue returned?

I'm thinking if it fixed the issue for a month, either the entire thing was highly coincidental or the plug gaps have again gone beyond the .030 that most people and Ford recommend.

Please verifiy the latest Ford specification, I thinking .030 was in nominal the range, but are not absolutely certain.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts