F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just talked to a good friend of mine who recently worked in the service department of the local Ford/Dodge dealer. I asked him about warranty and tunes. He stated the machine they had that hooked up to vehicles to check problems was directly tied to Ford. Any information collected went to Ford first before it was sent back to the dealer. If any tuning was detected, the warranty stopped at the time of the tune. Did not matter if you put it back to stock or not, it showed up. Had nothing to do with the dealer and what they thought, the info went straight to Ford. He said a lot of customers where not happy and he told them they had to deal with Ford, local dealer had no control over the warranty once the info was collected. So....for me, no tune until I run out of the factory warranty. Since the dealer gave me a lifetime warranty, which is covered much like an insurance policy, I am not sure if a tune will void that warranty or not. Guess I need to read all the fine print, and see if that is mentioned.
Maybe your dealer has a way around this, if so you are lucky!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I am with you bkdraft! At 6 years or 60k I sill start my build. I just can't afford to deal with repair bills while I still have a payment lol.

SPPD

·
Registered
2 Posts
Owners interested in installing after market equipment and voiding warranty should call up the MAGNUSON-MOSS WARRANTY ACT which was signed by President Ford in 1975 and approved by Congress. It protects the after market products industry and vehicle owners when applied correctly.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I pulled the trigger around 2000 miles and went ahead and programmed the ecoboost! Told my self I wouldnt do it and well yeah it happened lol.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yea. I am wanting to do this too. I will look up that law though. It may prove useful.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Only problem with the M&M Act is that it puts the burden of proof on the vehicle owner to prove the modification did not cause the issue. I'm pretty sure the intent of the act is to keep the OEM from denying your warranty claim on the windshield wiper motor because you installed a lift kit or something totally unrelated such as that.
Now if I throw another 100 horses in my truck through a tune, exhaust, or some other means and toast my motor should I really hold FMC responsible for that??? I mean I see how they could reasonably deny your warranty for tuning your motor as it applies to the power train....but not an across the board warranty denial.

With that said I will likely wait on a tuner until after the factory warranty expires.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Most hand held tuners are relatively safe, when you get into efi live or similar computer software you can easily smoke the engine or start breaking other things.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My truck has 34000 miles on it and has been tuned for most of it. I return it to stock a few days before a dealer visit and they haven't said boo about it. I think the OP may have received bad info.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
My truck has 34000 miles on it and has been tuned for most of it. I return it to stock a few days before a dealer visit and they haven't said boo about it. I think the OP may have received bad info.
Have you had to have any work done that required a claim to be submitted against the warranty? Good dealerships will cater to their customers and not blow the whistle on stuff like this but if something actually breaks then its different. Its like they won't void your warranty until you NEED it. If you have had warranty claims filled then yeah maybe some bad info was given.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'll try to remember to come back into this as I now have 50K on my truck and I think one or both turbos are going bad. I talked to the service rep today and will scheduled a visit in the next couple of months. I will return to stock of course, but leave the Full Race cat back and Wagner IC in place.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I had my turbos go out in my 12, all under warranty, put truck back to stock, unplugged battery for 30 minutes and drive 10 miles to dealer, they hooked it up to the computer and couldn't find the code I told them it had. He called a few days later and said they had to really dig deep to find it but finally found it. After they were put on I pulled my service guy aside and told him that I've had it tuned since 200 miles on it, he couldn't believe it, he said they didn't find anything. The best advice is to deny deny deny, tell them you had a scanner in it checking codes at o Reilly's.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
11 Participants
cbvet
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing