F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Platinum
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to see if anyone has any feedback on this idea, I tried searching multiple forums and found nothing. Asked facebook and no one seemed educated enough on the topic to give a real response.

Anyway, Just wondering if anyone has tried tightening the factory wastegate actuators to resist opening as soon and hold more boost into the higher rpm. I got the idea for this after looking at the actuator adjustment rods that are identical to the one on the K03 that was in my focus ST. This was a pretty common thing to do in the focus world, so I gave it a shot and had pretty good success for a free 10 minute modification (tighten 2 nuts). I had Torrie (Unleashed) adjust the tune and the car held 2psi more all the way to redline, as a result it felt noticeably better on the butt dyno. Unfortunately never got to actually dyno the car to get any real numbers for it.

The following link is an article written by stratified (Focus tuning company) on the idea, they can explain it much better than I - https://stratifiedauto.com/blog/adjusting-and-upgrading-your-wastegate-actuator/

They found that aftermarket wastegate actuators were too aggressive and held too much boost into the high rpm, turning the turbo into a heat pump. That being said after lots of reading I found that fully adjusting the factory one tighter was the ticket to getting the most out of the little turbo.

I am just wondering if anyone has any knowledge on the subject or real world experience. After seeing how well worked in the car it would be nice if the same could be done in the trucks and maybe uncovering a basically free mod that from what I can see no one has really played around with before. If it helped make even a little more power without excessive heat to redline it would be worthwhile in my opinion.

Let me know what you think, and why!

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I suspect you may be overspeeding the turbo by stiffening up the WG. Really depends how far you wanna go with it. I know my truck seems to be blowing the wastegate open but I was logging a shaft speed ~210,000 rpm, which is about as fast as you want to safely spin them.

Also, full race has WG actuators with stiffer springs straight from Borg Warner for like $120.

·
Registered
2013 Platinum
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suspect you may be overspeeding the turbo by stiffening up the WG. Really depends how far you wanna go with it. I know my truck seems to be blowing the wastegate open but I was logging a shaft speed ~210,000 rpm, which is about as fast as you want to safely spin them.

Also, full race has WG actuators with stiffer springs straight from Borg Warner for like $120.
So I don’t know a lot about the specifics like shaft speed I’ll be honest but, just increasing the boost held till redline if you’re not going past the normal peak of say 20psi wouldn’t any boost amount under that be a lower shaft speed?

Yeah I saw those but the whole idea here is a potential free way to increase performance by working with the stock ones, also if it is anything like my focus aftermarket ones will be way to stiff for the factory turbos anyway.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
So I don’t know a lot about the specifics like shaft speed I’ll be honest but, just increasing the boost held till redline if you’re not going past the normal peak of say 20psi wouldn’t any boost amount under that be a lower shaft speed?

Yeah I saw those but the whole idea here is a potential free way to increase performance by working with the stock ones, also if it is anything like my focus aftermarket ones will be way to stiff for the factory turbos anyway.
You would have to monitor you airflow and pressure ratio to really know. Ford conveniently puts a compressor overspeed map in the tune:

Thats from a 2014. So if you exceed ~46 lb/min on a 2013-2017 Ecoboost you are likely moving past 210,000 rpm. 46 lbs definately seems possible without WG tensioning.

The only reason I say this is we already kinda had this discussion over here: https://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/...e/74060-boostking-s-oem-turbo-project-24.html

If you read through you can see kinda what I came up with for my particular situation. I am sure if you did it you could pick up a little boost and flow, but do you really want too is what I was asking. At some point you are just better off throwing in the towel and buying a larger compressor(GT's, Ford Performance, Borla, CRP, Garrett etc)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts