F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've read countless threads on wastegate issues and can't find any resolve for my truck. It's a 2013 with a 2016 motor and turbos. Build date for motor was Oct 24, 2015. Typical wastegate flutter under moderate load/throttle. Had a mechanic look at it and he said one wastegate was sticking. He swapped in my old (2013) turbo part (the cast part with the wastegate), not the whole turbo. It's still fluttering.
I'm at a loss as to what to check next. The truck feels a little sluggish under moderate throttle, but mash it and it pulls like it should. Mileage is a little less than I feel it should be too. I have no idea how to data log and all that kind of stuff. Truck is stock, no tunes etc. Vacuum actuators.
It's got to go back to the shop so if I can steer him in the right direction or give him some ideas, that may help.
Thanks
Chris

·
Premium Member
3,209 Posts
Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, that's what it sounds like. The donor motor did have a damaged wastegate linkage are, probably due to an accident or mishandling when engine was removed. That got swapped out but this noise is still persisting. I'm trying to find out what I should be looking at in terms of the solenoid and it's location. I think I'll check that next

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Yes, that's what it sounds like. The donor motor did have a damaged wastegate linkage are, probably due to an accident or mishandling when engine was removed. That got swapped out but this noise is still persisting. I'm trying to find out what I should be looking at in terms of the solenoid and it's location. I think I'll check that next
Check the connection at the solenoid, as well as possible chaffed wires, or vacuum leak somewhere.
Post #14 here. http://www.f150ecoboost.net/forum/31-f150-ecoboost-problems/11248-p0246-turbo-charger-waste-gate-solenoid-high-2.html

·
Registered
339 Posts
Is there a way to properly adjust the waste gate since its threaded. I recently removed mine for a gasket repair. Maybe we arent getting them adjusted right and causing flutter?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was wondering the same thing. I found a video on YouTube about actuator preload. I'm trying to search and find out how to correctly set the preload. I'll also try to test the actuator and see if it leaks at full stroke.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Is there a way to properly adjust the waste gate since its threaded. I recently removed mine for a gasket repair. Maybe we arent getting them adjusted right and causing flutter?
Here's a way to check the operation of the wastegate actuator, however, I would do each individually.
If untouched, they shouldn't fall out of the set range, unless they go faulty.
Pay close attention to vacuum line leaks, or connections at the solenoids.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had a similar issue. I say had because I'm pretty sure the turbo just blew.

Here's a clip I took where you can hear the surging in the first 4-5s of the video

I replaced both BOV's initially thinking they were torn. Then I changed both solenoids and vacuum lines. My next step was going to be to change the wastegates themselves but now I'm into a whole different mess. Not sure if it's related to the surging or not.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm hoping it's just a simple adjustment of the pushrod on the actuator. The driver's side has had the actuator and the rest of the turbo changed at different times so perhaps there isn't enough preload?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Turns out my passenger side actuator was opening at 2 psi and the driver side was opening at 7psi. Since both turbos feed one common intake, is it possible that the turbos were essentially fighting each other? The charge air from the one turbo was higher pressure than the other backfeeding the other charge pipe?? I don't know if that makes sense but once I had the mechanic balance the actuators, the flutter was gone. Now I just have to figure out when they SHOULD start opening and make sure they are opening at the right psi. Hard to know what's going on without a boost gauge. I think I should buy one...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar issue. I say had because I'm pretty sure the turbo just blew.

Here's a clip I took where you can hear the surging in the first 4-5s of the video

I replaced both BOV's initially thinking they were torn. Then I changed both solenoids and vacuum lines. My next step was going to be to change the wastegates themselves but now I'm into a whole different mess. Not sure if it's related to the surging or not.

Hey man, I know this is an old post but my 2012 is doing the exact same thing. What was the fix for yours?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’ve got a 2012 EcoBoost too, same problem, except no check engine light.
Took it into the dealership today, we’ll see what they say. Yeah, I’m way out of warranty but don’t trust any shops in town any more than the dealership, lol. Took the mechanic for a drive this morning and he said it sounds like a seized waste gate on one side. He’s going to check both waste gates and let me know. I’ll keep you posted. Unfortunately the Service Manager said there are no serviceable parts on the 2011-12 turbos... unbelievable. So the seized wastegate will cost me a new turbo. Yay. List price at the dealership was $1041 CDN. Plus I dunno how many hours to install at $100/hr. Oh well at least that turbo will have some warranty.
I just watched one of the mechanics videos above and that guy did a great explanation of what may be going on.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dealerships answer was a passenger side waste gate seizure. New turbo required. So it was my drivers side turbo that was whooshing or chirping louder. $2400 CDN total bill (estimate). They’ve had my truck for 2 days now, hopefully get it back tomorrow and fingers crossed they have fixed my problem. And not done any other damage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
4 days later got the truck back, problem fixed. $2431 CDN later for a $35 wastegate diaphragm. Brutal that ford used a turbo with no serviceable parts on it. Almost criminal. Probably won’t buy another ecoboost.

·
Premium Member
2,284 Posts
4 days later got the truck back, problem fixed. $2431 CDN later for a $35 wastegate diaphragm. Brutal that ford used a turbo with no serviceable parts on it. Almost criminal. Probably won’t buy another ecoboost.
That’s too bad, you can order just the Wastegate actuator from Full Race.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
That’s too bad, you can order just the Wastegate actuator from Full Race

:(

Why didn’t you post that last week? Lol.

Oh well. Hopefully someone else can use that info. Simple simple fix. Too late now.

So just out of curiosity how do you set up a new waste gate actuator in a twin turbo setup? I guess just measure the rod length of the seized one? Damn.

Thanks for the info.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts