F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
81 - 100 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
6,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
So I drove around Anaheim this week on a three day vacation. The weather was so nice that I was cruising with all the windows open. I noticed that my rattle will continue with very slight throttle in to second gear. And my hotel had covered parking with a wall next to my spot. It was LOUD in the morning! My wife commented! I'm going spring shopping! haha
Lol yeah when my wife made a comment about it that's when I knew it was bad, it was bothering me before that but it really bothered me after that because she doesn't hear anything like that usually.

I'll tell you one thing since this spring "fix" my truck has been much more enjoyable to drive, she barely even rattles on first Startup now too.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
Lol yeah when my wife made a comment about it that's when I knew it was bad, it was bothering me before that but it really bothered me after that because she doesn't hear anything like that usually.

I'll tell you one thing since this spring "fix" my truck has been much more enjoyable to drive, she barely even rattles on first Startup now too.

Hey,

New guy here. So I know this last post is few months old but you seem to have dug into this specific issue quite well. I've searched around on other forums but this was the first I've came across this thread and the spring trick. I must say it's nice to see a bunch of people at least trying to think about solutions.

I recently purchased a CPO 2016 2.7l that had the wastegate rattle since day 1 of my ownership, unfortunately I didn't notice it until after the 200 mile drive home, but fortunately the truck is awesome on all other fronts. It's not the phasers, not the grille vents, its 100% the external wastegate arm connection pin.

On my truck, the pin has about .020in vertical play on it. I first tried putting some molle grease in the area without success. I then tried the loctite method seen on youtube and it worked for a bit but is now starting to come back after about 2 months. My next attempt was going to be a dab of high temp silicone until I read your idea of a spring, which is great because its clean and easily reversible.

Question for you and anyone else: Are your symptoms more on the driver or passenger side turbo?

I see your video shows the drivers with the spring. Before adding the loctite my passenger was significantly louder, which then led me to hear how loud my drivers was as well.

·
Registered
6,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Hey,

New guy here. So I know this last post is few months old but you seem to have dug into this specific issue quite well. I've searched around on other forums but this was the first I've came across this thread and the spring trick. I must say it's nice to see a bunch of people at least trying to think about solutions.

I recently purchased a CPO 2016 2.7l that had the wastegate rattle since day 1 of my ownership, unfortunately I didn't notice it until after the 200 mile drive home, but fortunately the truck is awesome on all other fronts. It's not the phasers, not the grille vents, its 100% the external wastegate arm connection pin.

On my truck, the pin has about .020in vertical play on it. I first tried putting some molle grease in the area without success. I then tried the loctite method seen on youtube and it worked for a bit but is now starting to come back after about 2 months. My next attempt was going to be a dab of high temp silicone until I read your idea of a spring, which is great because its clean and easily reversible.

Question for you and anyone else: Are your symptoms more on the driver or passenger side turbo?

I see your video shows the drivers with the spring. Before adding the loctite my passenger was significantly louder, which then led me to hear how loud my drivers was as well.
My driver side seemed to be louder but the passenger is definitely noticeable as well, but drivers side is what first caught my attention.

The vw guys have this option, would be nice to have same for ours

·
Registered
198 Posts
My driver side seemed to be louder but the passenger is definitely noticeable as well, but drivers side is what first caught my attention.

The vw guys have this option, would be nice to have same for ours

Seen that one but not sure it'll work without some tweaking.

How has your spring been holding up? Do you have one on both sides?

·
Registered
6,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
Seen that one but not sure it'll work without some tweaking.

How has your spring been holding up? Do you have one on both sides?
Been holding up great, actually forgot about it until I saw your comment.
I do have one on each.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Been holding up great, actually forgot about it until I saw your comment.
I do have one on each.

Thanks. I'll be heading to the hardware store to check some springs out soon. If you ever have a chance to take some pics of your setup, that would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Thanks. I'll be heading to the hardware store to check some springs out soon. If you ever have a chance to take some pics of your setup, that would be great. Thanks.
I'll pm you some

·
Registered
6,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
Mine is only noticeable if I have the windows down. Obviously worse if there is a building for the sound to reflect from, but sounds like crap. It is loud enough to get people to look at my beautiful blue truck, too... Lol. I have plans to take it in and have it looked at so it's on record, but I doubt they will replace both turbos for the rattle.
Did You ever happen to take the truck in for it?

·
Registered
6,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
So I took the springs off when I went back to stock tune about 500 miles ago and GHEEEZIS I forgot how terrible that rattle was/sounds.
Taking truck in January for that and the thumping and freezing door locks... And possibly the Warped dash and......

·
Banned
316 Posts
So I took the springs off when I went back to stock tune about 500 miles ago and GHEEEZIS I forgot how terrible that rattle was/sounds.
Taking truck in January for that and the thumping and freezing door locks... And possibly the Warped dash and......

I'm not convinced that the dash is warped.. Every one I see I check the dash and I think they're all that way.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
10,517 Posts
If it's an XLT, I DO believe it's "warped"

Since we have 5 XLT aluminum trucks to compare, it's easy to see how they vary in the "warping". They all actually could be diagnosed as warped. (All Texas Heat Trucks) But none of them are as bad as a few pics I've seen on social media. And none of them have been taken in for warranty claim.

I wish I had never even pointed it out to my family. A couple of them hadn't even noticed it until I asked them about it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
I put springs on about a month ago and have been very happy with the audible change. You certainly still hear the internal wastegate which is normal, but the external pinging of the pin is no longer present. For anyone trying this, keep in mind the goal is to put just enough lateral pressure on the lever arm to make contact on the sidewall of the pin, while also not interfering, or contributing to, the natural movement of the wastegate.

As happy as I am with the result, I do however suspect that, long term, there will be some additional wear on the pin as it rotates. Not overly concerned but I'll be checking on it periodically.

I also have the warped dash and rear end suspension thunk that I plan to have the dealer fix. The dash is definitely warped, in my opinion.

·
Registered
6,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
The dash in this 19 definitely isn't as warped as the 17 I had but it may just be a matter of time. I'm still debating on whether or not I even want them to mess around with it or not.
It's funny, as mentioned when I was looking at trucks on the lot I pointed out all the Warped dashes to the guy

Oh I forgot to add to the list, last oil change I found that my timing chain front engine cover is leaking. Same exact crap I dealt with on my old 2013

·
Registered
6,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
I put springs on about a month ago and have been very happy with the audible change. You certainly still hear the internal wastegate which is normal, but the external pinging of the pin is no longer present. For anyone trying this, keep in mind the goal is to put just enough lateral pressure on the lever arm to make contact on the sidewall of the pin, while also not interfering, or contributing to, the natural movement of the wastegate.

As happy as I am with the result, I do however suspect that, long term, there will be some additional wear on the pin as it rotates. Not overly concerned but I'll be checking on it periodically.

I also have the warped dash and rear end suspension thunk that I plan to have the dealer fix. The dash is definitely warped, in my opinion.
Thays awesome about the spring working for you, I forgot just how well at work until I removed them. I'm not sure about adding much more wear and tear myself because as you said as well I have just a bare minimal pressure on them, but who knows

·
Registered
6,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Appointment is made for this next month the 13th. For thumping sound and severe wastegate rattle, at least what I'm assuming is severe wastegate rattle.

Took off the springs a little under a thousand miles ago along with putting truck back to stock and I swear each cold start the rattle is getting louder and louder.

Truck also turns over for a good amount of time before it fires up.

-2019 f150 3.5 with 12k miles

·
Registered
6,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
I thought my truck took a long time to start. However, it is nothing like yours. Wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah crazy eh?
I swear it was even longer the other day too

·
Registered
198 Posts
Appointment is made for this next month the 13th. For thumping sound and severe wastegate rattle, at least what I'm assuming is severe wastegate rattle.

Took off the springs a little under a thousand miles ago along with putting truck back to stock and I swear each cold start the rattle is getting louder and louder.

Truck also turns over for a good amount of time before it fires up.

-2019 f150 3.5 with 12k miles

This is pretty much how my passenger side sounded before I put the springs on. Drivers side made noise too but not as bad.

Please keep us posted on what the dealer says!

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
10,517 Posts
The slow start ECO is so wierd to me.

I've started 3 of the 18's that I have daily access to and they are all instant.

Mine is pushbutton and the other 2 are key. But the amount of time that the starter is engaged is so short that you can't tell a difference.

But if you hold down the throttle to delay the start, mine spins over a little quicker. Nor like double or anything, but quicker. Honestly, the other two sounded like a normal speed and mine seems faster than normal.

The cranking speed I would chalk up to the variation in starter motor?

But I have no idea what could possibly cause trucks to vary how many revolutions it would take to start. That's just crazy. Spark and fuel.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

81 - 100 of 111 Posts