F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
101 - 111 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
The cranking speed I would chalk up to the variation in starter motor?

But I have no idea what could possibly cause trucks to vary how many revolutions it would take to start. That's just crazy. Spark and fuel.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Fuel, air and spark to run....electricity to get running.

Assuming the engine is mechanically sound, crank time is all about available cranking amps (normal and cold). These vary greatly with temperature, but also by battery brand, age, wear, how long its been sitting and other factors.

Defining a standard operating procedure would be difficult as everyone's operating condition will be different. But its important to define what is "too long," which is typically over 5 seconds or so.

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
10,517 Posts
I wonder if the higher trim gets a different battery? Did the King Ranch come with more amps?

And yea, I'm sure that I benefit from a cold morning being 55F, rather than 10F. That's gotta make a difference in cranking speed and startup time.

On the same note, we got a cold front about 3 weeks ago and I noticed that the Mazdarati cranked slow on a 35ish Fahrenheit morning. I swapped in a new battery the next day. I can't prove that was a sign that it was time yet, but with that tiny little battery I wasn't going to take chances. The cranking speed with the fresh battery is faster.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Assuming the engine is mechanically sound, crank time is all about available cranking amps (normal and cold). These vary greatly with temperature, but also by battery brand, age, wear, how long its been sitting and other factors.
And the computer seeing a jillion little sensors all showing values within an acceptable range. Quite frequently these days, a no-start condition is due to another failure or a bad sensor, rather than a fuel/oil/air/spark problem.

·
Registered
6,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Well anyways... This wastegate rattle is annoying.

Lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Registered
26 Posts
Anyone have a picture after the TSB spring washer kit install? I can't take the sound anymore on my 2018. I ordered the kit for a couple bucks. Just can't find any good info on how to install, besides the TSB.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2021 Powerboost Platinum FX4 Kodiak Brown
10,517 Posts
Sirikenewtron DID have a 2.7 previously, but his current beast is a Gen2 3.5 and I'm pretty sure the noisy wastegates were on the current truck.

·
Registered
6,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Do you happen to have a 2.7? I would love to see some of those pics of a spring install... Very helpful and appreciated.
What SnakeB said, my 2.7 was always quiet as a mouse, my 3.5's not so much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
2020 F150 3.5L Eco Screw 4x4 Max Tow Iconic Silver
71 Posts
Can you send me pictures of your spring setup?

101 - 111 of 111 Posts