F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2020 max tow with a payload of 1865 and have a Grand Design 2400bh on order. Hitch weight is 505, dry weight is 5700 and it's 29 feet long. What hitches do you guys run?

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
I'm running the Blue OX and it's nice.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Had a 29RSTS Reflection and used a Anderson WDH and a Equal-l-zer 1400 WDH and the equal-l-zer was the best choice by far for me. There are plenty of good choices out there just do your research and choose one and set it up correctly. Your hitch weight will be around 900lbs. (I had over 1300)

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
I've had my Husky WDH for over 10yrs... w/ a single
Sway Control Bar. It's worked flawlessly on my Gen 1.
Screenshot_20210311-130833_Gallery.jpg
20210311_130315.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Basically any one of them will work absolutely fine as long as you learn to set it up correctly.

Reactions: Mitchf150

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I'm running a basic EAZ-Lift brand WD setup, which is basically the same as meaz's setup. Simple bar and chain.

I don't use a friction sway device, but my trailer is only 26' long from hitch to bumper, but does weigh in at around #7000 fully loaded and probably #900 TW when it's all loaded up.

Tows fine and been using this same hitch since around 2003 and on it's second trailer now.

I think it's all about what works for you and your setup. No ones setup is the same as yours, so you just gotta pick something and go from there.

Good luck! Mitch

·
Premium Member
2013 XLT 302A 145" Screw
3,220 Posts
I have a 2020 max tow and have a Grand Design 2400bh on order. Hitch weight is 505, dry weight is 5700 and it's 29 feet long. What hitches do you guys run?
Dry weight means nothing. 7500 GVWR. Hitch weight will be close to 1000 pounds. Make sure the hitch gets set up properly AFTER you get the camper.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I tow a 7000lb Lance with an F-150. I have the Equal-i-zer WDH and it does two things: It moves about 300 of the 1000 lbs tongue weight to the front axle, and it inhibits sway. Coupled with sway control in the truck and 14% of the trailer weight on the ball, I don't have any sway problems at all.

It's easy to hook up, and I've tweaked the settings a bit to optimize a) truck level, b) trailer level, c) bars level, d) 30% of tongue weight is transferred to the front, e) truck doesn't squat, and f) don't have to jack to the moon to install the bars. I also added helper springs to the back to a) reduce squat and b) improve ride quality when towing.

Make certain you have at least 10% of the trailer weight on the ball, 12% is my minimum. This is a significant factor to control sway.

I can't see dropping a grand or more for a fancy hitch, but that's me. I'd have to try both and see/feel the difference to warrant the expense.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I tow a 7000lb Lance with an F-150. I have the Equal-i-zer WDH and it does two things: It moves about 300 of the 1000 lbs tongue weight to the front axle, and it inhibits sway. Coupled with sway control in the truck and 14% of the trailer weight on the ball, I don't have any sway problems at all.

It's easy to hook up, and I've tweaked the settings a bit to optimize a) truck level, b) trailer level, c) bars level, d) 30% of tongue weight is transferred to the front, e) truck doesn't squat, and f) don't have to jack to the moon to install the bars. I also added helper springs to the back to a) reduce squat and b) improve ride quality when towing.

Make certain you have at least 10% of the trailer weight on the ball, 12% is my minimum. This is a significant factor to control sway.

I can't see dropping a grand or more for a fancy hitch, but that's me. I'd have to try both and see/feel the difference to warrant the expense.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
What spring bar rating do you run? Fully loaded I am close to 8k, and use an Equalizer 10k bar. I have air bags to help stiffen the rear.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2018 F150 EB 3.5 MaxTow - 2019 Airstream Globetrotter 27 and Equal-l-zer 1400 WDH.

Great combo. Easy to set up and adjust and I have never had a sway issue.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Dollar for dollar I find the Husky Centerline TS hard to beat. Usually can find it with shank and spring bars for around $300 if you shop. Anything that works as well cost more in my experience

Reactions: Arkansas Eco

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
There are litterally tons of the used in local classifieds.

I was going to pick up a 1000 lb bar blue ox for $200 but my parents just bought it brand new through the dealer with the trailer.

They're giving it to me to tow my car hauler if I need it.

But check around so many tow their trailers to parks and park them for life and sell em off all the time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ended up going with the Curt Trutrack and will be installing RAS this weekend. Thanks for all the responses!

Reactions: Mr B

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How am I looking? Trailer sits half an inch lower in the front and feels solid behind the truck.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,136 Posts
You could almost lighten the tension on the bars slightly as you are tranfering >100% back to the front axle.

Reactions: h2oOperator

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is it OK to run like this? I'm not completely loaded yet(food and clothes) plus the TT feels really stable back there now and I don't want this to get silly cruising down highway 70 in Kansas on the way to CO.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts