F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Vendor
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had the pleasure of meeting a new client and his 2013 F150 Ecoboost this week. Sadly it wasn't under the best of circumstances: oil dripping everywhere, non-working meth kit, CCV system stopped collecting oil vapor, no root cause. The truck had upgraded turbos and we came to find out that they were 56mm turbos with stock turbines. Turbines were shot, one wastegate was shot, both CHRA's needed to be replaced. The truck already has a Wagner Intercooler (drilled), S&B intake, and resonated aftermarket downpipe, but stock catback. He took this opportunity to upgrade to the known good turbos: The Full Race GT Turbos. We agreed the stock factory catback was causing excessive crankcase pressure, the CCV system was overwhelmed, and the Intercooler charge pipes are a known restriction at this point too.

Net net: we are building a mirror image of our shop truck, to include a prototype of our catback, and I'm going to throw in a set of our hand ported stock manifolds to make it all as close as possible :) Oh, and we are ripping off the non functioning Meth Kit.. the only thing Tifosi Performance will do to help you with your meth kit. ;)

The difference between the trucks will be the stock General tires and 20" OEM wheels on our truck, versus his 35x12.5x18 on aftermarket wheels. Mine is a 2011, this truck is a 2013. But otherwise, same Intercooler, CAI, IC pipes, manifolds, different downpipe, same catback, MPT tunes from Mike.

I'm having the guys weigh his stock wheel/tire combo and weigh mine so we can also share some data about the real weight impact of these tires. I might get him to the dyno too and do a back to back with his wheel/tire combo and then mine ;) Ain't nobody got time for that!!

Stay tuned..

·
Vendor
7,133 Posts
Great introduction to what sounds to be a well outlined and detailed build for us to be able to hear about. Thank you for sharing.

His losses will be astronomical due to the lift and Tires especially if they are a heavier 10 Ply E-Rated toyo MT.

85-90 lbs per tire + the rim...... yikes. Ask how I know.

·
Vendor
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great introduction to what sounds to be a well outlined and detailed build for us to be able to hear about. Thank you for sharing.

His losses will be astronomical due to the lift and Tires especially if they are a heavier 10 Ply E-Rated toyo MT.

85-90 lbs per tire + the rim...... yikes. Ask how I know.

Thank you Ryan. Always appreciate you looking in on this stuff :)

Tires.. O M G.

New BFG 35x12.5x18 AT TA KO2 on aftermarket 18" wheels: 101lbs for the assembled wheel and tire. The tires are advertised to be 68lbs each so this aftermarket wheel likely weighs 33lbs.

For fun, we weighed the old tires coming off this truck: General Grabbers (huge Mud Terrain tires): 77lbs each TIRE ONLY. Advertised at 81lbs tire only. The tires measured weight of 77lbs was a used tire so it is possible the advertised weight for the new unworn tire is exactly 81lbs. So the old setup coming off this truck likely weighed 114 lbs each new per corner.. The new BFG AT TA K02 tires going on are saving 13 lbs per corner.

OEM 20" 5 spoke Lariat wheels with General Grabber HTS 60 (stock like replacement tire) in stock 275/55/20 size: 67 lbs for the assembly. The tires are advertised at 41lbs each so the stock 20" Lariat 5 spoke wheel likely weights 26lbs. These are worn tires so lets call them closer to 68 or 69lbs new for new. Still saving 32lbs over 35" tall BFG tires.

·
Vendor
7,133 Posts
Worst decision I️ have made with this truck was toyo MT’s E rated 12.5 X 35 x20 which is really 35x13.25 and I️ believe it was right at 86 or 89 each plus the rims!!!! There goes 500 Hp and a lot of money.

Plus what a massive load it exerts on the motor. That’s a whole lotta rotating mass

·
Registered
113 Posts
Worst decision I️ have made with this truck was toyo MT’s E rated 12.5 X 35 x20 which is really 35x13.25 and I️ believe it was right at 86 or 89 each plus the rims!!!! There goes 500 Hp and a lot of money.

Plus what a massive load it exerts on the motor. That’s a whole lotta rotating mass
Which tires would you go with next?

I’m running heavy 35” toyo mt’s as well. I figured I’d give big mt’s a go for once in my life but more than likely won’t go this route again unless I start going off road more.

I’m tuned with a 170* stat, only. The truck still gets up and goes but I feel it would feel A LOT quicker if the tires weren’t so darn heavy.

Any tires opinions are greatly appreciated, for my next go round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
7,133 Posts
Which tires would you go with next?

I’m running heavy 35” toyo mt’s as well. I figured I’d give big mt’s a go for once in my life but more than likely won’t go this route again unless I start going off road more.

I’m tuned with a 170* stat, only. The truck still gets up and goes but I feel it would feel A LOT quicker if the tires weren’t so darn heavy.

Any tires opinions are greatly appreciated, for my next go round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m sure Jerry can point you in the right direction, but I️ went with an AT tire this time.

They are Nitto Terra Grappler G2’s and are 42-44ish lbs each, drive as smooth or better than the 20’s and bridgestone duellers the truck came with. And weigh less with my rims as OEM setup.

They are 305/55/R20 and are the P rated of the two. Nitto makes two versions of 305/55/R20. One is heavier and I️ went with the lighter one of the two that is P rated.

Love them like I️ love my motor and twin efrs.

·
Vendor
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A little more background on the new truck:

With Solo resonated donwpipes, Wagner IC, S&B CAI, stock catback, bored out Turbo Adapters (ala SPD adapters) Methanol, 56mm Compressor wheel turbos with modified housings, (stock Turbine), the truck put up 405rwhp and 525lb/ft of torque, STD, this would be closer to 395rwhp and 510 lb/ft of torque SAE.

The torque spike was just that, it lasted for a short while (300rpm) then quickly fell off. I did a rough comparison to our Full Race equipped turbo truck: over 500lb/ft by 2700, flat around 525lb/ft from 3000rpm to 4500rpm, and carried over 500lb/ft all the way to 4700rpm. At 4700 rpm it had a 60lb/ft advantage and carried that to a 70lb/ft advantage at 5800rpm.

The Full Race turbos show up Wednesday or Thursday and the guys at the shop are in the process of swapping over all the Jiffy-Tite water line fittings which are always fun to do. We replace every coolant pipe, water fitting, stud/nut/gasket as part of this. I hope you guys enjoy!

Jerry

·
Registered
13 Posts
It's my truck and can't wait to get it back... I know I lose some HP with the larger tires but with my driving, I feel like the KOs are the best bet for me. I had the Generals and I don't think there's a heavier 35" tire out there.

Jerry is a solid guy and has keep me abreast of everything thus far. Although I am spending much more than I wanted to, I'll have the truck finally dialed in...

tRUCK.jpg

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Hey didn't u say you weren't working on street vehicles any more,? When u declined to do mine,? ;))) not fair ,lol...

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
It's my truck and can't wait to get it back... I know I lose some HP with the larger tires but with my driving, I feel like the KOs are the best bet for me. I had the Generals and I don't think there's a heavier 35" tire out there.

Jerry is a solid guy and has keep me abreast of everything thus far. Although I am spending much more than I wanted to, I'll have the truck finally dialed in...

View attachment 121946
Anymore updates on your truck ? I’m really curious & excited to see how it works out after all the MPT BASHING about GT,tunes
jerry has always been professional & was really cool towards my kids at the track ,so I’d expect that he will make sure it runs correctly and settle all of this BS once and for all hopefully..id love to get serious again about dropping in a set of GTS ,& even a built RB motor knowing tuning isn’t going to drive me crazy...

·
Vendor
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Alright guys, quick update.. as always, when you go into something this big, you run into issues..

1. We had to wait 4 days to get the GT Turbo's due to them being out of stock. Full Race did a great job of getting them in and turning them around to us quick! It helps that they have such a significant relationship with Borg Warner.

2. Intercooler Pipes: given the Wagner Intercooler on the truck, and the larger volume of the Mishimoto charge pipes, we had to get a Turbosmart BOV with the elbow to make it clear the Cold Side Pipe. On my truck, same turbos, but being an 11', it has the dual compact Turbosmart BOV's, one on each turbo (instead of the block off plates on the later 13+ truck). I have the same Wagner IC but obviously with no BOV at the Intercooler, there is no interference.

3. We were missing a charge pipe and got that expedited.

4. Ford was backordered on the water pipe fittings for the front of the block (there are 3 sizes for the 8 water pipe fittings). Those two little boogers cost us an extra day.

5. On the test drive yesterday at 3pm, we did a quick drive around the business park and came back to check everything out again. This is when the water pump decided to expire in a big way! Some days you can't win for losing.. lol.

We know Tom has been without his truck and want him to enjoy this thing, hammer has been down for the last 5 days to get it done by Friday. Well it's Saturday morning the guys came in, I picked up the pump from Ford and they are banging it out now. Then we put some miles on it and see what's what.. Stay tuned.

Dyno day: we all want to see it! Please be patient there, I'm having ankle surgery on Monday and will be pretty incapacitated next week according to the doctor. Zero weight on the foot for 4 weeks, then two more weeks in a boot. Fun..

If it works with Tom's schedule we will do a dyno day in late December. This gives me time to get back on my feet, and gives Tom and I time to work with Mike at MPT and dial in the truck.

Jerry

·
Vendor
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Evening update:

I am super proud of my guys! They came in early on a day off to knock this job out, and really, their motivation was to see the smile on Tom's face! Tom wasn't happy with the setbacks and issues we had to work though from finding bad turbos and other issues, but was always reasonable and gave us the latitude to take time and make sure it was done right. Truck got buttoned up today, water pump addressed, BOV adjusted, test drove, data logged, reviewed, washed, and then probably 30 minutes of trying to put all his old parts in the bed, LOL.

From the right seat (I was datalogging and am wearing a boot so driving and data logging.. not gonna happen).. this thing PULLS! I've emailed off a log to Mike already with my own observations, but right now, I can tell you this tune is very close, right out of the box. Tom and I agreed end of December or very first of the year we will do a dyno pull or 20 to see what she puts down.

I'll continue to update this as we get results! Thank you!

Front Shop.jpg Side.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
After much anticipation, I finally got the truck back yesterday...I babied it a little since I had the exhaust, 4 general tires and everything else in the truck. As soon as I dropped them off at the house, the little demon in me decided to give it a real run.....Let me tell you, this truck ROCKS!! I couldn't be happier. Even though I went into Jerry's shop for some basic "look her over" and didn't expect to spend what I did, I am 100% satisfied. Really interested to see what the dyno says in December.

Lastly....If anyone needs an original exhaust, turbo cores, Meth injection kit, hit me up, they're in the garage taking up space.

Thanks again Jerry and I'll be in touch on the bass fishing thing :)

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Did someone say bass fishing?

·
Registered
2,788 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Man......I do love driving this truck again!! Went to Oklahoma and back today and from 60mph to 90mph is literally a second. Tifosi did wonders to a truck that I was considering trading in...Now you can't pry this from my cold dead hands, love it.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts