F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Vendor
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to keep everyone posted on a new setup CAC / Intercooler drain kit. The kit will consist of Two Off-Road Ball Valves
and the complete installation kit. I am looking forward to everyone's feedback as the Engineer's have confirmed and re-confirmed
this is the Ultimate fix for the guys experiencing stumbling or bad throttle response in rain and cold from moisture in your intercooler.

I want to be clear on this as these will need to run in tandem with catch cans for the absolute fix.

A catch can fixes the oil ingestion and moisture problems in cold weather that builds up in the PCV system and enter the intake stream.

It has nothing to do with the CAC / intercooler creating condensation because of it's function and ability to sweat in cold and humid
conditions, as this is from very extensive testing from Ford engineer's and tech's along with UPR. We have seen some pretty incredible
turnarounds in performance and reliability with the best selling F150 Ecoboost trucks.

We will keep you all up to date.

Joe

·
Registered
682 Posts
Factory install Perhaps? Recall even anything?....:what:

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

·
Vendor
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a whisper in the hallways about the Ecoboost.

Not looking like a bulletin or recall but a very perceptive engineer that stated Ford will not hassle
anyone installing this fix because the problem has been so prominent over the past few years.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm in, how long do you anticipate till production and availability! Cost range....feed me Seymore!

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Sub'd

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
A catch can fixes the oil ingestion and moisture problems in cold weather that builds up in the PCV system and enter the intake stream.

It has nothing to do with the CAC / intercooler creating condensation because of it's function and ability to sweat in cold and humid conditions, as this is from very extensive testing from Ford engineer's and tech's along with UPR. We have seen some pretty incredible turnarounds in performance and reliability with the best selling F150
Interesting for sure. I wonder if rerouting the clean side to keep the oil from mixing with the condensation in the CAC actually helps evaporate the condensation in the CAC better though. I know my CAC was pretty clean after 6,500 miles with the clean side diverted to the CSS compared to what it had in it after only 4,000 miles stock. Almost seems to me a weep hole combined with rerouting the clean side might still be the best option. Unless it's constantly draining, it would potentially still accumulate even with a draincock until you actually open it up and drain it.

·
Vendor
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Twin Ball Valve on the inlet and outlet floor of the CAC / Intercooler.

UPR f150 Ecoboost CAC Drain Kit-1k.jpg

This was done at Ford by a Ford Mechanic. They loved the fix once
we finished the install.

UPR f150 Ecoboost CAC Drain Kit INS-1k.jpg

Installing the Ball Valves after drilling and tapping the holes in the
CAC / Intercooler.

CAC drilling Passenger side-1k.jpg

Passenger side hole.

CAC drilling Driver side-1k.jpg

Driver side hole.

The install and locations turned out absolutely perfect. Big thank you to Eric !

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Obviously, you can't leave those open. How often do you plan to drain them?

Also, not around my truck right now. How's the access once the air dam is reinstalled?

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
What are you calling this kit? The Urethra?

·
Vendor
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They are easily accessed after the air dam is re-installed.

UPR f150 Ecoboost CAC Drain Access-1k.jpg

This location was determined by the access and level to be the best
place for ease of access.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Sorry, I have to call BS on this "fix" for two reasons.

1) I drained my 2011 OEM CAC when I installed my catch can. When I removed the OEM CAC after 10,000 miles, to install a Wagner CAC, there was absolutely no moisture present in the CAC. So I question the thinking that these drains are needed with a catch can.
2) I went and measured where the holes/drains would be on my old CAC based on the photos above. I would need to have almost a half inch of liquid present for it to drain out of those locations.

This "fix" is completely unnecessary IMHO.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Sorry, I have to call BS on this "fix" for two reasons. 1) I drained my 2011 OEM CAC when I installed my catch can. When I removed the OEM CAC after 10,000 miles, to install a Wagner CAC, there was absolutely no moisture present in the CAC. So I question the thinking that these drains are needed with a catch can. 2) I went and measured where the holes/drains would be on my old CAC based on the photos above. I would need to have almost a half inch of liquid present for it to drain out of those locations. This "fix" is completely unnecessary IMHO.
I was thinking the same thing when I saw where the holes were.

·
Vendor
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is a what Ford recommends and the holes were about level with the floor when the intercooler is mounted and able to drain properly.These drains are not for the
normal application in warm dry conditions. They are for humid and cold areas that generate excessive condensation and water levels get higher that 2" or will leave a
quart or more of fluid in the radiator.

These trucks do not stumble and shut off with a small amount of water in the intercooler. That is why there have been so many fixes or bulletins about the ecoboost. I
too was a skeptic about this in the beginning and was not interested. UPR has gone and done this for people requesting the fix that do drain their intercoolers during
the cold and humid weather.

As unacceptable as this is to me for a vehicle to have an issue of this magnitude . The fact remains the same and I am only offering the fix for those that want / need it.

Only an option for those that want it.

This can be a do it yourself kit if you just buy 1/4" NPT Ball Valves and 7/16 drill bit along with the correct 1/4" NPT tap.

Probably $30-$40 on the internet for the parts alone excluding shipping.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I still think an 1/8" weep hole would suffice and work a lot better. What are you going to do, stop every 50 miles and open the valves to drain the CAC? Driving in the rain with them pointing downward, if you left them open I would think they would actually suck water in.

·
Registered
311 Posts
These look too large to be used for anything other than periodic service / cleaning and for that purpose it seems easier than removing the CAC. Not sure it would help those who experience accumulation while driving in humid conditions unless the valves are left open slightly or if they are fitted with a small orifice to minimize pressure loss? Please keep us posted especially on what Ford's role is on this.

·
Vendor
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just to clear this up these are strictly a maintenance setup as I would not want to leave any air leaks unless
overall performance is not an issue. These drains are tucked away nicely and the would no pick up water or
anything because they are shielded perfectly.

The pictures are only to show the installation and how easily accessible they are to install and service. I
wanted to do this more for instructional purposes than to create a new item to sell everyone.

LOL

Now you guys have me thinking of how to incorporate and electronic ball valve into the system so all you
have to do is flip a switch to drain them.

Next Project !

·
Administrator
7,862 Posts
I still think an 1/8" weep hole would suffice and work a lot better. What are you going to do, stop every 50 miles and open the valves to drain the CAC? Driving in the rain with them pointing downward, if you left them open I would think they would actually suck water in.
1/8" Thats pretty darn big.

Thread a while back some members said they either used a 1/32 or if they were going to insert a screw after draining then a 1/16

1 - 20 of 23 Posts