F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

101 - 120 of 132 Posts

·
Administrator
7,837 Posts
Just FYI, a M2.0x.5 stainless steel screw works wonders for plugging that 1/16" weep hole if you are concerned about boost leak. Just take it out once a month and do some WOT pulls for the day, then put it back in (it's what I intend to do). Very Easy.
Thanks for the info.

With how cold it has been lately, and seeing all the crap that came out of my catch can the past 500 miles...I am definitely not going to plug it. All it takes is a little fluid in there every day then you try to merge on the interstate and your dash lights up like a Xmas tree.

·
Registered
218 Posts
20161211_070104.jpg

Here is a pic I took this morning of the wet mess coming out of my interooler. I drilled the hole last night and went for a short 5 mile or so drive. It is a nasty milky brown color. I didn't have to remove the air dam on mine to get the hole drilled. I just pulled it back a little to gain access.

No idea why it is upside down!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just for information, I had close to 35000 miles on my truck when the mod was done. Nothing came out and did not notice any change in performance. Truck is stock, except for a Helwig sway bar or the rear. Over 7000 miles towing a trailer. gps

·
Premium Member
2,823 Posts
Just for information, I had close to 35000 miles on my truck when the mod was done. Nothing came out and did not notice any change in performance. Truck is stock, except for a Helwig sway bar or the rear. Over 7000 miles towing a trailer. gps
Consider yourself blessed:):) I mean truck :):)

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
OK, stupid question.. Does this drip/leak when parked?
Have had mine done for about 20k miles now and haven't gotten one drip on my off white driveway. I do have oil on the under side of the truck from the hole to about a foot back but you'd never notice.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I believe the correct term is surface tension, but the statement is not entirely true.

Water has an extremely high surface tension, compared to almost all other liquids, so the oily crap in the interooler would "drip" easier than just pure water would from the hole due to its lower surface tension. I do believe, however, that unless there is a measurable level of fluid in the intercooler, there will be no dripping. There could be an abundance of gunk on the air dam and/or other parts of the vehicle and could drip onto the ground.

·
Administrator
7,837 Posts
I believe the correct term is surface tension, but the statement is not entirely true.

Water has an extremely high surface tension, compared to almost all other liquids, so the oily crap in the interooler would "drip" easier than just pure water would from the hole due to its lower surface tension. I do believe, however, that unless there is a measurable level of fluid in the intercooler, there will be no dripping. There could be an abundance of gunk on the air dam and/or other parts of the vehicle and could drip onto the ground.
Do you have a catch can or a weep hole...or have dealt with this crap? Have you noticed the 3 separate parts of this 'mix'ture that comes out? the white milky stuff is 'chunky'...to say the least.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have a weep hole, no catch can. I have not noticed any difference in material exiting my IC, but I haven't tried to catch it. All mine just blows out onto my air dam and off into the road as I drive. I will be getting a catch can, as well as an FR IC, but that won't be for a while.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hey guys sorry if this was answered in this thread (i didn't see it if is was). Looks like most of the guys that drilled the weep hole have '11-'14 year trucks? I just got a 2017 3.5EB a couple days ago, just turned 100miles on the way home from work this morning, lol. Is this an issue that has been fixed by ford or do I need to worry about drilling a weep hole and/or sucking water out of the CAC?

Thanks
J-

·
Administrator
7,837 Posts
Hey guys sorry if this was answered in this thread (i didn't see it if is was). Looks like most of the guys that drilled the weep hole have '11-'14 year trucks? I just got a 2017 3.5EB a couple days ago, just turned 100miles on the way home from work this morning, lol. Is this an issue that has been fixed by ford or do I need to worry about drilling a weep hole and/or sucking water out of the CAC?

Thanks
J-
Yes.

·
Administrator
4,077 Posts
Yes it's been fixed by ford or yes I need to drill a weep hole. Lol

J-
There have been a few people that have drilled the weep hole on their 15+, but there hasn't been any evidence suggesting it is needed because Ford did a better job with the design and location of the CAC.

101 - 120 of 132 Posts