F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to purchase a 8.5x24 enclosed trailer....dry weight around 3500 lbs with a max load of 10k.
I know I'll need a weight distribution hitch when the trailer is loaded, but what about when it's empty? The hitch I'm looking at says 600-1000lbs of tongue weight. Does that mean it can't be used when the weight is under that? The trailer dry should be around 350 lbs of tongue weight and I'd like to take advantage of the sway and load balancing even empty. I'm in kansas so high winds are always an issue and I feel like the sway control on the hitch could help. Pulling with a 13 S Crew fx4 short bed 3.55 gears.
Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
45 Posts
e-trailer has some pretty good articles with the answers to your questions HERE. Their articles are better than any "Cliff Notes" I can add on the forum....;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that link. Etrailer has a ton of info on their page! Ended up going with the Reese straight line with dual cam sway 1200/12,000 lb. It ranges from 600 to 1200lbs of tongue weight....which is the best to fit what I need.
Still never found an answer other than it would be stiff if I hauled the empty trailer with 350lbs of tongue weight around with the Reese system on. I'm going to give it a go and find out. If it's too stiff I guess I can always remove the sway bars and just use the ball hitch.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So to answer this for anyone else...it wasn't stiff at all. They installed the Reese system and left it a little high in anticipation that I would be putting around 5k in the trailer. They said it should sit nicely once all the weight is in it. ( and they also showed me how to adjust the ball head and chain links incase the weight threw things out of level. I had a 2 hour drive home from the shop, in Kansas high winds and it all did really well. I only went 60, but that was ok by me. Here is a pic of the truck with the trailer and the hitch system hooked up. 20140312_111506.jpg 20140312_114155.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts