·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Elderly truck. Mine is not too far off.

Reactions: sleipnir

·
Registered
159 Posts
are we talking about the MPG's? me and my truck dream of getting mpg's in the 20's. Hell anything about 15 would be a celebration.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 13 will be there any day now.

·
Registered
523 Posts
How many timing chains did you need over that time? We all know it’s not possible to go more than 20k miles on a timing chain...;)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How many timing chains did you need over that time? We all know it’s not possible to go more than 20k miles on a timing chain...;)
3 chains, 12 plugs, 1 turbo.
Kidding. None but there is a rattle every now and then, no codes.

Plugs @ 8x,xxx
Tires around 55k
Brakes @ 78k

Rear door lock wire split, fixed
Rear defrost doesn't work, don't care
Rear pinion seal went out somewhere around 50k, fixed

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
are we talking about the MPG's? me and my truck dream of getting mpg's in the 20's. Hell anything about 15 would be a celebration.
You aren't the only one that seemed to get sub par mileage. Not sure if there was a bad batch of ECU or mechanicals. Is it stock, stock tire size,etc.? I do drive like an old man

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I thought these engines exploded if you didnt change the plugs religiously at 15k?

Reactions: ITTOG

·
Registered
159 Posts
You aren't the only one that seemed to get sub par mileage. Not sure if there was a bad batch of ECU or mechanicals. Is it stock, stock tire size,etc.? I do drive like an old man
i can actually get 18-19 on the hwy during long trips, although i daily drive in town so i'm between 13-14. I have aftermarket wheels and A/T 10 ply tires that are 1 size larger then stock. I do have CAI, leveling kit, canned tune, and MBRP dual exhaust - none of which seemed to help my MPG....LOL

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
i can actually get 18-19 on the hwy during long trips, although i daily drive in town so i'm between 13-14. I have aftermarket wheels and A/T 10 ply tires that are 1 size larger then stock. I do have CAI, leveling kit, canned tune, and MBRP dual exhaust - none of which seemed to help my MPG....LOL
That doesn't seem all that bad. I get 20-21 highway in perfect conditions doing 65mph on P metric tires and a very small level. Above that and it drops pretty quickly.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
I'm only at 30,000

Tuned.
35 tires load E
Leveled
Loaded 4x4 in 4A drive
Driven with a grin. (I spool)

Still get 18 in mixed driving

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
487 Posts
Just turned 92K, 3.5 years of ownership. Original plugs, brakes been replaced, just threw the second set of tires on it ... only real issue has been the rattling Sunroof. I get almost 16 in mixed driving, but can pull 20 on a long highway pull.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just turned 92K, 3.5 years of ownership. Original plugs, brakes been replaced, just threw the second set of tires on it ... only real issue has been the rattling Sunroof. I get almost 16 in mixed driving, but can pull 20 on a long highway pull.
Have an opportunity on a 2017 w/97k on it. (price is right) Anything /issues you could share with me? What I should look for? would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Have an opportunity on a 2017 w/97k on it. (price is right) Anything /issues you could share with me? What I should look for? would be greatly appreciated.
I would suggest asking for or pulling a CARFAX on it. That will likely show any service records. My last couple vehicle purchases showed good service records but if it doesn’t show I would ask for any if the owner can provide that.

Check the dip stick for any dark stains or discoloration. This could be a good indication if the oil was changed somewhat properly or not.

Finally be aware at that mileage many things should be checked and or serviced after the purchase. Front and rear diff oils for starters and likely the coolant.

Oh one other thing, ask if you can hear the truck start from a cold soak, not being started for at least 8hrs or more.

Good luck!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ca
I would suggest asking for or pulling a CARFAX on it. That will likely show any service records. My last couple vehicle purchases showed good service records but if it doesn’t show I would ask for any if the owner can provide that.

Check the dip stick for any dark stains or discoloration. This could be a good indication if the oil was changed somewhat properly or not.

Finally be aware at that mileage many things should be checked and or serviced after the purchase. Front and rear diff oils for starters and likely the coolant.

Oh one other thing, ask if you can hear the truck start from a cold soak, not being started for at least 8hrs or more.

Good luck!
Carfax you say?
I got sick of the dealership sending me one, I edited the info. Next buyer should have fun deciphering this one.
Good news, even at 10 million miles, it's still got some trade in value.
Screenshot_20200217-130935.png

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Okay...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just sayin'... Carfax is ok...if honest people are being honest. It doesn't show if the car wasn't taken to the dealership or another shop that reports the maintenance.
I knew a guy who would fudge things that would never show on a Carfax.. junkyard parts on newer cars bought at auction.
It's not a replacement for a good independent mechanic doing a once over prior to purchase, but it makes people sleep well at night.
A lot of people say "if it doesn't have an up to date Carfax, run ..don't walk away". They make you think it's the end all of records. I'm not taking my car to a dealership for every light bulb and spot of lube. Dealerships just buy their stuff at auctions, which are mystery cars anyway. Even if the oil was changed religiously, it doesn't show the 5k rpms that engine ate every day or the neutral drops, 4wd mud bogs, tractor pulls to show off to your friends, copious burnouts, etc.
TLDR; Carfax is a great starting point and that's it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts