F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y’all, I’ve been working on a trailer my dad bought at auction. Previous owner backed over the tongue and bent everything out of alignment then just let it sit in his yard.

Since it came into our care I have pulled off the axle and welded new spring seats for an axle flip, gotten slightly larger tires, started removing
the wiring, and pulled the tongue.

The new tongue im putting on is actually 2 feet longer and is being reinforced by 2x2 angle running from the front crossmember with the plan being to add some stiffening farther back. The trailers only purpose is hauling a few 14’ kayaks ad maybe a couch.

I’m definitely not a painter so now I’m trying to figure out how to make it pretty. The paint is pretty sh***y and there’s surface rust on a lot of places.

Have any of y’all ever tried wet sand blasting? I can get an adapter for my pressure washer a lot cheaper than I can a big enough air compressor to run one. Do I need to worry about flash rust or if I let it dry and prime it is that an issue?

I’m wanting to just have someone blast it for me but finding a place around where I live without having to load the frame onto my trailer and haul it away is proving to be a pain.

Current and as it sat when we bought it

Edit: Not sure why the post put that picture towards the top but idk how to fix it so sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
578 Posts
Just hit it with a sander. Then wipe it down with naptha or similar. A coat of Rust-Oleum rusty metal primer, wait 24 hours, then a coat or two of gloss black. Done.

·
Registered
968 Posts
It looks like a lot of those surface rust areas are not very easy to sand. I would use a rust converter and a paint brush to coat the whole thing. Let it dry real good then paint it with a textured black color. I'm personally not a fan of high gloss paints on rough surfaces, but to each his own.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like a lot of those surface rust areas are not very easy to sand. I would use a rust converter and a paint brush to coat the whole thing. Let it dry real good then paint it with a textured black color. I'm personally not a fan of high gloss paints on rough surfaces, but to each his own.
I’m planning on a matte gray or black. I’m just super OCD

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
I’m planning on a matte gray or black. I’m just super OCD

You could always use one hand on the water hose while you use a regular media blaster in the other hand.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Look at my thread for my running boards. I forget the name of the stuff, but it is used with waterblasting and coats the metal to prevent flash rust. You can sand it/paint over it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Look at my thread for my running boards. I forget the name of the stuff, but it is used with waterblasting and coats the metal to prevent flash rust. You can sand it/paint over it.
I’ll have to try from my computer later on mobile I can only see one thing and it was talking about fluid film, I’m assuming (I may be wrong) that is not what you were referring to.

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
I’ll have to try from my computer later on mobile I can only see one thing and it was talking about fluid film, I’m assuming (I may be wrong) that is not what you were referring to.

I looked it up, see post 116. I don't have a pic of the running boards with it on, i forgot, but it is like a grey gritty finish. It is called HOLD TIGHT.

·
Registered
85 Posts
X2! A bit late to comment, but I suggest using POR 15 products. Sandable, hold up well over time, and pretty easy to work with.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys, for anyone who may care I just thought I should post an update. I found a guy (vouched for by a friend) that gave me a very reasonable offer to properly sand blast and powder coat the entire thing. I am currently working out transport arrangements as I have to take it aways down the road and I had to remove all of the lighting.

Some of you discerning gentlemen may have noted that the front still isnt quite re-squared unfortunately I don't have the time or equipment to get it perfectly back in shape without risking severe bodily injury or worse... having my mother yell at me. Just in case I want yall to know it pisses me off every time I look at it lol.

A little slow working but I was in Texas last week and Washington (state) this past week.

58691974526__B1030EB2-36F2-4BEC-A82C-C085C10B2DFC.jpeg

Thanks for looking!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
SENDIT
F150 Ecoboost Forum
F150Ecoboost.net is the best Ford F150 Ecoboost Forum with discussions on 2011+ F150 Ecoboost Trucks. Discuss performance mods, towing questions, wheels, tires, lift kits, and much more!
Full Forum Listing