F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

3201 - 3220 of 3284 Posts

·
Super Modistrator
2,287 Posts
Installed a front Hellwig sway bar today. Had the rear one on for a couple of years and have meant to put the front one on but just hadn’t gotten around to it. Snake keeps reminding me that I should have but just hadn’t. @Codycat91 motivated me and I picked one up. It handles exactly as I would have hoped/expected. I measured both of the bars the OE came in at 1.440” diameter and the Hellwig came in at 1.540” but noticeably heavier at 28 lbs. vs. the stock one at 23 lbs. (solid vs. hollow). I’ve told both Cody and @snakebitten that the only real word I can use to describe it is PLANTED. Glad it’s on.

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
626 Posts
I'm looking forward also. Thanks for the review.

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
This is what it looks like on the 2011.

See most people replace the whole vac line etc with the check valve.

Raptor guys complain a lot of it going bad too.

Apparently it's only like $8 us for the vac assembly with check. (new style)

But a shot of brake cleaner or carb cleaner is all thats needed.
Looks like my quick fix wasn't so quick. Pass side is still dropping out. For now I've put a screw in the vac line, she can stay locked in on that side. I've got a 800 km round trip to do this weekend and don't have time to mess with it. (thinking there must be a Vac leak in the pass side hard or rubber line.

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
Looks like my quick fix wasn't so quick. Pass side is still dropping out. For now I've put a screw in the vac line, she can stay locked in on that side. I've got a 800 km round trip to do this weekend and don't have time to mess with it. (thinking there must be a Vac leak in the pass side hard or rubber line.
It was eating at me lol, had to know what was wrong. Vac line is pulling a constant 17-21" hg. Plugged line at booster and checked again. Holds constant up to 25" hg.

Checked the hub itself holds 20" hg until you spin it, slowly drops. And even at 15-20" hg the hub doesn't pull out and stays locked in.

Therefore my pass side is now its own IWE eliminator...

Dorman 600-405 will be in my future I spose. Vacuum eleiminators for both sides. Same as those raptor ones however likely not as strong but I don't wheel this too hard anyhow.

Reactions: GearHead_1

·
Registered
69 Posts
I ordered a FreekOBoost radiator and a Wagner Intercooler clone off eBay yesterday.
Let's see how these compliment the exhaust manifolds and outlets I just installed.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I ordered a FreekOBoost radiator and a Wagner Intercooler clone off eBay yesterday.
Let's see how these compliment the exhaust manifolds and outlets I just installed.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
I’m interested in your feedback on the CAC upgrade. Keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
2,959 Posts
Took off jumbo mirrors and put back factory mirrors (got my fold back:)) will be selling mirrors soon. Pm me if interested before I post them

·
Registered
5,190 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
Installed a front Hellwig sway bar today. Had the rear one on for a couple of years and have meant to put the front one on but just hadn’t gotten around to it. Snake keeps reminding me that I should have but just hadn’t. @Codycat91 motivated me and I picked one up. It handles exactly as I would have hoped/expected. I measured both of the bars the OE came in at 1.440” diameter and the Hellwig came in at 1.540” but noticeably heavier at 28 lbs. vs. the stock one at 23 lbs. (solid vs. hollow). I’ve told both Cody and @snakebitten that the only real word I can use to describe it is PLANTED. Glad it’s on.
Did a little refresh-studying today on anti-roll bars and came across a couple of things that I wasn't aware of.

1st, hollow VS solid actually has very little impact on the spring rate. (An anti-roll bar IS a spring. It's a twist spring) There is a weight difference, obviously, but the difference for two bars made of the same metallurgy, one being solid and the other being a tube, are very similar in twist [spring] resistance.

2nd, so if that's true, just how much difference can the marginally thicker Helwig make over the oem? Well it turns out that the mathematical formula is something like 1/16" increase in diameter is a 27% increase in spring resistance. That's amazing!

Of course where the end link attaches to the bar determines how much leverage the control arm has to exert force. So technically you could have an OEM bar and an aftermarket bar identical in diameter, but with very different fulcrum points depending on the attachment geometry.

And I guess 3rd is that by increasing anti-roll resistance on one end of the vehicle (front or rear) you actually increase weight transfer to the other end under stress/load. Similar to changing spring rates on coilovers, for example.

If stuff like this doesn't bore you, here's where I got some "fundamentals" on sway bars today while lounging

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Modistrator
2,287 Posts
Actually I knew that about pipe vs. solid and it being a twist spring. Having seen a few break on cars over the years and knowing how they mount that becomes quite apparent. It’s essentially a torsion bar. They usually break somewhere between the two mounting points where the bar attaches to the frame/vehicle. Seeing where they break and knowing that they aren’t bowing in that area it becomes obvious they must be twisting. They also usually break in for lack of a better description a radial pattern like you see when a wire drill bit breaks.

There is a noticeable difference (read improvement) in my truck with the Hellwig and one that I definitely like. I wasn’t expecting the same kind of seat of the pants impact as you get when you put one on the back of a vehicle that doesn’t have one but it is a seat of the pants impact.

Kinda sad that Cody‘s improvement wasn’t up to his expectations, hope he grows to love it.

I’ll watch the video knowing that anything they tell us about a Miata will be exactly the opposite on a F150 ;) :) ;)

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
So if they knew the beefier front would give them more traction to the rear wheels....... would they want it then? Lol

Problem is, it only applies in the corners, so the ¼mile et wouldn't lose even a tenth.

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
626 Posts
Thanks for that @snakebitten and it is not even a lil bit boring. I love reading and learning science.

Reactions: snakebitten

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
Thanks for that @snakebitten and it is not even a lil bit boring. I love reading and learning science.
I'm just pleased someone else enjoyed it.

Stuff like that humbles me because it shows me that I have so much to learn even when I think I already get it. I mean what could be simpler than what our concept of a anti-roll bar does?

Yet when you have it vividly explained, you find there's more going on than just the obvious. I remember when the shop that installed my front voiced their surprise that it was only a little thicker than oem. That told ME that the experts (it was supposedly a race shop) expected it to be even thicker) Yet now I know that the small increase in diameter was all that was needed to generate the additional forces that the designers were aiming for. ~30% increase isn't something to sneeze at. :)

Anyways, I probably should stop going on and on about suspension this and suspension that. This forum is about TURBOS! lol

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
As an essential worker my company has let us bring our work trucks home. Because of that I’ve only driven my truck close to 300 miles in almost 4 months. I gave it a good wash. I couldn’t believe the cob webs I found all over it. Another good thing is I’ve only filled it up with gas once.

·
Registered
52 Posts
on my 2014 ,replaced oil cooler tube assembly and both front cooler tubes . had the famous leak there. I wish an aftermarket company OTHER than B & M would come up with a tranny dipstick for the ecoboost engines!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Installed a Mishimoto catch can system, MSD blaster coils, Motorcraft plugs, and changed all fluids and filters. It's been a long day!
after some miles on the truck can you do an honest review on the MSD coils? some good reviews and some real negative reviews on them.

3201 - 3220 of 3284 Posts