F150 Ecoboost Forum banner
3541 - 3544 of 3544 Posts

·
Registered
7,626 Posts
I don’t know down here in Florida we have to worry about the kind of lug nuts we buy because of the salt air we have here. The open end style are not good because the salt can corrode the studs and freeze the nut on. At least that’s what I as told as I always put a little oil or something on them anyway…and on that note…Has anyone ever heard of lug nuts swelling? Took my truck in for standard rotate, balance, alignment check and they told me they recommended replacing all the lug nuts bc they were swelling. I have never heard of this…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes normal the OEM lugs are junk, thin tin covered open end nuts. That's what happens when they use impact gun on them and salt gets to them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I don’t know down here in Florida we have to worry about the kind of lug nuts we buy because of the salt air we have here. The open end style are not good because the salt can corrode the studs and freeze the nut on. At least that’s what I as told as I always put a little oil or something on them anyway…and on that note…Has anyone ever heard of lug nuts swelling? Took my truck in for standard rotate, balance, alignment check and they told me they recommended replacing all the lug nuts bc they were swelling. I have never heard of this…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not yet on mine BUT the same kind of nuts were on my Magnum.

Dealer COULD NOT get them off. Had to do it the old fashioned way--hammer (with a sledge hammer) a slightly smaller size socket (that is sacrificed) onto that nut (the outer cover just spins over the solid core) and crush it so it could be removed.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Gave it a nice bath. Love the way the race red glows when all cleaned up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3541 - 3544 of 3544 Posts