F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Ford F-150 XLT 2.7 Ecoboost 3.55 Axle
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting this rattling sound from passenger and driver side wheel well.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like an exhaust leak to me. I can be wrong tho.

Maybe even wastegate rattle.
Maybe. If it’s wastegate rattle I’m not as concerned. If it’s like exhaust manifold, or my downpipe I’m concerned.

If it was leaking at the turbo rightwhere the downpipe connects wouldn’t I be smelling really stinky exhaust smells from the wheel wells, or be seeing some black soot around the pipe and possibly on the turbo?

·
Premium Member
1,278 Posts
I rewatched the video again. I really think it’s an exhaust leak.

If I’m not mistaken, 2.7s don’t really have manifolds. The turbos are attached to “manifolds” cast into the aluminum cylinder heads.

You would be looking at downpipe to turbo flange for the leak.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I rewatched the video again. I really think it’s an exhaust leak.

If I’m not mistaken, 2.7s don’t really have manifolds. The turbos are attached to “manifolds” cast into the aluminum cylinder heads.

You would be looking at downpipe to turbo flange for the leak.
Best way to fix you think? Get in there and try to tighten the nuts?

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Grab the wastegate arm with some pliers and see if the rattle stops.

Reactions: boostkingMatt

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Grab the wastegate arm with some pliers and see if the rattle stops.
Ok. I’ve grabbed it with my fingers before, and I just can’t tell. I will say when I’m accelerating gently there’s like a noise that sounds to me like an exhaust leak, and it kinda varies and goes away when the truck shifts but when in boost or decent throttle I can’t hear it. I don’t remember always having the sound, started happening after I installed the downpipe, just slightly, seems it may have gotten worse over time.
Im gonna crawl under there tonight and try to tighten the turbo stud Bolts and see if that does anything.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Ok. I’ve grabbed it with my fingers before, and I just can’t tell. I will say when I’m accelerating gently there’s like a noise that sounds to me like an exhaust leak, and it kinda varies and goes away when the truck shifts but when in boost or decent throttle I can’t hear it. I don’t remember always having the sound, started happening after I installed the downpipe, just slightly, seems it may have gotten worse over time.
Im gonna crawl under there tonight and try to tighten the turbo stud Bolts and see if that does anything.
Id say exhaust leak is most likely

Make sure you are grabbing the wastegate itself, not the rod from the actuator. Afaik the wastegate lever gets loose where it connects to the rod. So if you grab the rod the wastegate will continue to rattle. You gotta isolate the actual wastegate.

Reactions: boostkingMatt

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Id say exhaust leak is most likely

Make sure you are grabbing the wastegate itself, not the rod from the actuator. Afaik the wastegate lever gets loose where it connects to the rod. So if you grab the rod the wastegate will continue to rattle. You gotta isolate the actual wastegate.
Yeah I know what you mean. I re tightened the nuts, and actually they were sorta loose, I mean, they were tight but loose enough for me to tighten quite a bit more without too much effort. So hopefully that solved it. I will find out tomorrow morning when I cold start it. If I still hear the noise I will check the wastegates.

I’ve heard people say that when the wastegate a start rattling it’s time for new turbos? But I always just thought that was kind of a normal thing.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I tightened everything up, but I’m still hearing the sound. I think that it is wastegate rattle. But I think I’m hearing two sounds, on cold start it’s the wastegates. Driving around the sound I’m hearing I believe is the downpipe joints, (not at the turbos)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts