F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering an Ecoboost F150 or a 5.0 V8. I have read several forums where people have had horrible MPG and turbo problems on Ecoboost, transmission problems and improper driveline angle on the 6.5 foot bed with both trucks.

What is the prevalence of these. Is it something I really need to worry about? I believe the turbo condensation issues were I early models has this been corrected in newer models say: 2013, 2014.

Also for MPG, I hear the worst MPG is under load when the turbos fully spool up dropping MPG to around 7. Does this occur in normal daily driving around town or would that be consistently good? If I am not towing a load or carrying a half ton of gravel in the bed, do I need worry about MPG? I am assuming the average MPG of daily driving and an occasional load will make the Ecoboost a better deal than the 5.0 litre ?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
For MPG if you drive both engines conservatively you will get about the same mileage.

The ecoboost makes much more torque, so if you stomp on it for both engines the Eco will burn more fuel. That is because it is making more power.

There have been very few turbo issues, and all the problems for the engine have been figured out at this point.

Both engines had their troubles, the Eco was condensation shudder and spark plug gaps. The 5.0l it was oblong cylinders which needs a whole engine block replacement.

Majority of the people on this forum love their ecos. Myself included. When you tune them they become a powerhouse.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I've been researching Ecoboosts since they were introduced in 2010 (didn't come out until '11, but I learned about them in '10). It's the engine I'll be getting in my next F150. One old boy has over 261,000 miles on his '11, etc., etc.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
I've been researching Ecoboosts since they were introduced in 2010 (didn't come out until '11, but I learned about them in '10). It's the engine I'll be getting in my next F150. One old boy has over 261,000 miles on his '11, etc., etc.
Wait, what do you have?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
all the issues i've had are just truck related, not engine related. both are reliable. you'll see more "internet" issues, because the ecoboost outsold the 5.0 by a long shot. don't be discouraged by what you read. a lot of ecoboost issues are minor, and more common on 11-12s. 13+ they fixed a lot.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have an 11 and have had no issues in the 48k miles mine has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am considering an Ecoboost F150 or a 5.0 V8. I have read several forums where people have had horrible MPG and turbo problems on Ecoboost, transmission problems and improper driveline angle on the 6.5 foot bed with both trucks.

What is the prevalence of these. Is it something I really need to worry about? I believe the turbo condensation issues were I early models has this been corrected in newer models say: 2013, 2014.

Also for MPG, I hear the worst MPG is under load when the turbos fully spool up dropping MPG to around 7. Does this occur in normal daily driving around town or would that be consistently good? If I am not towing a load or carrying a half ton of gravel in the bed, do I need worry about MPG? I am assuming the average MPG of daily driving and an occasional load will make the Ecoboost a better deal than the 5.0 litre ?

Thoughts?
Look I wont lie I have had every problem related the the eco you name it I have had it from multiple oil leaks to coolant leaks vacuum pump,condensation,ect but I bought a brand new 11 the first year they put ecoboost in the f150.I believe ford has worked hard to correct its problems and would not hesitate to buy a 15.I do love my truck even with all the problems I have been through.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Wait, what do you have?
Voz, I'm here on Ecoboost forum researching them, learning all I can. This forum and other F150 forums has helped me decide that my NEXT truck, not the one I have now, will be an Ecoboost. My current truck is the one in my avatar. It's a '15.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
Voz, I'm here on Ecoboost forum researching them, learning all I can. This forum and other F150 forums has helped me decide that my NEXT truck, not the one I have now, will be an Ecoboost. My current truck is the one in my avatar. It's a '15.
Ok, sounds good, was just curious. I had thought you had already had one by some of your posts. Just caught me off guard is all.

You totally have to get a picture of your new truck with the old. 100years apart. I did the same thing but with my son and his great great (great?) aunt. Lol

·
Registered
379 Posts
I love my Eco, in fact I like it a lot more than the 7.3 powerstroke I had before it. I do have the driveline/transmission mount shudder issue which Ford is refusing to fix. It pisses me off but not enough to get rid of the truck because everything else about it is so great. I have 6,600mi and have averaged 14.9mpg during that time which is 98% city driving under 25mph. I also have a few hundred miles of towing in there as well. I can easily average 20-21mpg hwy. After owning diesel trucks and now this one I would never, ever consider a naturally aspirated engine; there just isn't a comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
434 Posts
11,000 miles in 3.5 months with about a third of those towing across the Rockies and cascades. Had the fuel in oil tsb repair done under warranty which solved the problem in about 3 hours at the dealer. Love the truck and wouldn't trade it for anything on the market in a 1/2, 3/4, or one ton. Tows great and meets my needs for a work and personal truck perfectly.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have a 2014 4x4 with 6.5' bed and have about 20,000 miles now. Bought last summer. I had the transmission moaning issue but there was a tsb to fix that and I'm sure that issue is resolved on newer models. Other than that it's been great. My lifetime average MPG is 16.2 right now. During summer when I reset one of the trip meters it averages a little over 17 and I'm not easy on the pedal. Daily driver with about 20 minutes highway and 15 minutes back road each way to work.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Okay, back on topic: I don't YET have an Ecoboost, and glad the forum let me on! Research, research, then some more reading about Ecoboost engines. In all of my reading, the only seeming real issue I've come across is the timing chain being a bit long and sometimes stretching causing problems. That was until trucks built after 10/10/14 from a TSB I found. In other words boys, I'm thinking Ecoboost is the way to go. Gas mileage schmileage, hey, we can have either eco or boost! There is a choice with Ecoboost! Just yesterday I drove a '15 Lariat 5.0, then on same route, drove Ecoboost 3.5 - a real difference! Ecoboost got me around some traffic I needed to pass to make an exit off interstate. 5.0 is a fantastic engine, but it won't move like the Ecoboost! Wait, this thread is supposed to be about problems... I reckon every man made thingamabob will have issues...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2014 (Dec/14 purchase) F150 Ecoboost, 2600 miles. Having an engine miss and surge on cold engine idle; dealer replaced low-pressure fuel pump in the gas tank, which did not fix the problem. Now, additionally, I have engine surging (strong/weak/strong, etc.) cycling on warm engine acceleration -- it is causing poorly timed shifting. Not an operational problem, but I know it's not right. Dealer says, "Huh! I can't feel it, you need to put more miles on it."

1 - 20 of 25 Posts