F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

301 - 320 of 334 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
In my parts, many of us would actually be willing to pay a bit more for petrol than current rates. When it gets this low, we usually have friends and neighbors that take it on the chin.

Of course there are other times where we complain to those same friends and neighbors that the price is artificially high.

It's kinda like goldilocks and the 3 little bears. Maybe $50 a barrel is just right? Lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,750 Posts
In my parts, many of us would actually be willing to pay a bit more for petrol than current rates. When it gets this low, we usually have friends and neighbors that take it on the chin.

Of course there are other times where we complain to those same friends and neighbors that the price is artificially high.

It's kinda like goldilocks and the 3 little bears. Maybe $50 a barrel is just right? Lol

Yup, lots of friends and family around here impacted by the cheap price of oil. It also hurts the CDN dollar, which makes everything more expensive.

I think our oil hit a a low of $8 a barrel or something close to that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
I don't know how precise or true it is, but we are usually told $30 a barrel is the minimum to cover cost of doing business.

Oil wars, in either direction, are irritating.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hell no more than I'm driving, it wouldn't matter if it's 4 bald eagles per gallon!

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk
Excellent point!

We're all kinda green-new-dealing it right now.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts

90+% of my company's business is oil and gas. We don't like seeing this. The oil majors tighten the purse springs at the hint of oil prices dropping, nevermind when its like $20 a barrel.

We are still picking up some residual business for projects that were already in motion and too far along to stop, but my guess is that anything much farther out than 6 months is already going to be on hold or cancelled.

The only upside may be that the refineries do maintenance and turnaround work while they are running at partial or 0 throughput. I know Exxon Baytown is shutting down units as they start to run out of places to store product.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I don't know how precise or true it is, but we are usually told $30 a barrel is the minimum to cover cost of doing business.

Oil wars, in either direction, are irritating.

The extraction of the oil is what can cost a lot. I have heard that the Canadian oil sands need it to be ~$70/barrel to make their technique worthwhile, but other places can be a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts
Does anyone else think about it is 2020, couldn't we make synthetic gas vs having to drill crud oil?

Also, why is diesel always a lot more than gasoline if it is lower on the refinement poll?

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Does anyone else think about it is 2020, couldn't we make synthetic gas vs having to drill crud oil?

Also, why is diesel always a lot more than gasoline if it is lower on the refinement poll?
Taxes I think. And also the fact that they have to process it to lower the sulphur content. The majors have already upgraded the diesel units to do this but the smaller refiners were given extra time and are in the process of installing the upgrade units currently.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
A fella from Shell once explained to me that BEFORE we allowed every state to make special rules about what could or couldn't be in their gasoline, we had far fewer individual recipes. So the warehouse (storage) of gasoline products were simple to manage.

But with multiple flavors, and the requirements to store them separately, the costs and complexity continued to erode the storage capacity for diesel. So much so that it switched to a product that we purchase from other countries refineries.

Put another way, the price of diesel no longer reflects the reduced efforts to refine it, compared to gasoline. But rather the cost of paying others to refine, store, deliver/ship it to us.

I'm not an expert, but he certainly sounded like an insider trying to simply the explanation to me.

·
Registered
5,002 Posts

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
ecoBoost whistle mmmmmm

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
185 Posts
The weekend started.

·
Registered
2013 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 Ecobeast SuperCrew 4X4
185 Posts

·
Premium Member
850 Posts

·
Administrator
10,426 Posts
A friend of mine who owns a landscaping company is the one who ordered this sod for me. It hasn't done terrible, but not as well as I would have liked. A lot of it was pretty ratty and fragile when we pulled it off the pallet. Hardly any dirt layer to it and I think a lot of the roots were cut off.

Anyway, I thought it is what it is. It happens, I've laid a lot of sod that came like that. It's still a huge improvement over starting from seed.

I wondered if I could possibly aerate it, and go at the dead spots by hand a little to break the surface up, and overseed it. I felt like the sod that has survived is still too young and that would be too much stress and I might kill some of it. However, I wanted to make sure he agreed.

I sent him the two pictures below, explained what I wanted to do, and asked if he agreed it's too stressful for the grass right now, or thought I can go for it. No complaints, I'm happy enough with what I got. About 20 minutes later he texted me back to call him when I had the chance.

I call him, and he says he forwarded those photos to the sod farm. They agreed that wasn't acceptable, they had some other issues from the same field, and they are replacing it ALL for me for free!

So I'm getting another $1000s worth of sod (7 pallets) for FREE! I never even thought to try and complain or ask for some sort of refund or warranty. I know that there are a ton of variables, and they can't know whether I did everything right, so that's only fair. I did, however. I removed all the vegetation, tilled up the soil, raked it, laid the sod the same day it arrived, and followed the prescribed watering regimen and weening process too a TEE! I have the bill to show for it. Lol

However, they don't know that, and I wouldn't expect them to warranty some sod without knowing that. For all they know I didn't prep right, water right, or possibly got some pesticides on it too early.

But, nope. No questions asked, they're delivering me 7 more pallets! Like I said, what was installed already has all taken root (what didn't die) and for the most part looks decent for this early in the lawn process. No way in heck I'm pulling it ALL up. I'm going to peel up a few of the worst pieces and replace them. Other than that, I'm gonna get to focus on other areas of the side yard that don't have grass, and the back yard now. I'm also going to fix a few bare areas in my wife's grandparents' yard next door.

Amazing customer service!
IMG_20200519_172641386.jpg
IMG_20200519_172647269.jpg

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
A friend of mine who owns a landscaping company is the one who ordered this sod for me. It hasn't done terrible, but not as well as I would have liked. A lot of it was pretty ratty and fragile when we pulled it off the pallet. Hardly any dirt layer to it and I think a lot of the roots were cut off.

Anyway, I thought it is what it is. It happens, I've laid a lot of sod that came like that. It's still a huge improvement over starting from seed.

I wondered if I could possibly aerate it, and go at the dead spots by hand a little to break the surface up, and overseed it. I felt like the sod that has survived is still too young and that would be too much stress and I might kill some of it. However, I wanted to make sure he agreed.

I sent him the two pictures below, explained what I wanted to do, and asked if he agreed it's too stressful for the grass right now, or thought I can go for it. No complaints, I'm happy enough with what I got. About 20 minutes later he texted me back to call him when I had the chance.

I call him, and he says he forwarded those photos to the sod farm. They agreed that wasn't acceptable, they had some other issues from the same field, and they are replacing it ALL for me for free!

So I'm getting another $1000s worth of sod (7 pallets) for FREE! I never even thought to try and complain or ask for some sort of refund or warranty. I know that there are a ton of variables, and they can't know whether I did everything right, so that's only fair. I did, however. I removed all the vegetation, tilled up the soil, raked it, laid the sod the same day it arrived, and followed the prescribed watering regimen and weening process too a TEE! I have the bill to show for it. Lol

However, they don't know that, and I wouldn't expect them to warranty some sod without knowing that. For all they know I didn't prep right, water right, or possibly got some pesticides on it too early.

But, nope. No questions asked, they're delivering me 7 more pallets! Like I said, what was installed already has all taken root (what didn't die) and for the most part looks decent for this early in the lawn process. No way in heck I'm pulling it ALL up. I'm going to peel up a few of the worst pieces and replace them. Other than that, I'm gonna get to focus on other areas of the side yard that don't have grass, and the back yard now. I'm also going to fix a few bare areas in my wife's grandparents' yard next door.

Amazing customer service! View attachment 166698 View attachment 166699

That’s awesome man!

Yeah I didn’t want to be a negative Nancy but I thought that sod looked pretty damn rough when you guys were laying it. every time I’ve laid sod at least around here it’s been lush and deep green.

301 - 320 of 334 Posts