F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

6901 - 6920 of 6920 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
It's kind of amazing that "free-to-roam" is almost 180 degrees different than what was required earlier in my...... career. (I avoid that word for some reason)

Before the cell tower switched from a voice dominated transport method to the current data packet dominated transport, I had to stay close (within driving distance) to the datacenter. If anything on the corporate global network needed managing, it required physical presence at THE desk that had security access to that same network. So at 2:am, I'd be on deserted roads and swiping a, badge to open gates at a post-911 highly secure airport.

Today? I rollover in an RV and put my glasses on from the bedside table and check the alert I just heard. If it's important, I touch the screen of the Surface tablet and facial recognition let's me on. I launch whatever appropriate tool is necessary to address the issue. All transported through a VPN established with a cheap $250 cellular Hotspot.

I've often said that if I was going to eventually be born onto this planet, I'm so grateful that it was when and where!

Not only is survival SO much easier than at any previous time in human history, but the abundance of leisure and access to pure folly is so commonplace that we don't realize complaining is arguably despicable. Lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
272 Posts
It's kind of amazing that "free-to-roam" is almost 180 degrees different than what was required earlier in my...... career. (I avoid that word for some reason)

Before the cell tower switched from a voice dominated transport method to the current data packet dominated transport, I had to stay close (within driving distance) to the datacenter. If anything on the corporate global network needed managing, it required physical presence at THE desk that had security access to that same network. So at 2:am, I'd be on deserted roads and swiping a, badge to open gates at a post-911 highly secure airport.

Today? I rollover in an RV and put my glasses on from the bedside table and check the alert I just heard. If it's important, I touch the screen of the Surface tablet and facial recognition let's me on. I launch whatever appropriate tool is necessary to address the issue. All transported through a VPN established with a cheap $250 cellular Hotspot.

I've often said that if I was going to eventually be born onto this planet, I'm so grateful that it was when and where!

Not only is survival SO much easier than at any previous time in human history, but the abundance of leisure and access to pure folly is so commonplace that we don't realize complaining is arguably despicable. Lol

I wish I had your set up. I still have to go to the office five days a week. Fifty-six mile drive one way. You are truly blessed with your work arrangement.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Amen to that Brother! I only tolerate the 9-5 because my work is <1 mile from my house. Small town USA for sure. If I had a longer commute I'd probably see things differently. I've just always been one to not mix business and pleasure. At some point we all have to report to "the man" (unless you ARE the man), but whatever gets me in the outdoors with the family and some toys is where I want to be. Not just there, but FULLY there. No distractions, just soaking in the moment.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I wish I had your set up. I still have to go to the office five days a week. Fifty-six mile drive one way. You are truly blessed with your work arrangement.
There are job boards out there (FlexJobs, Virtual Vocations to name a couple) that specialize in telecommute roles. I got laid off in June 19 and was back working in a 100% remote role in November - making more money, with better benefits and way less stress. It's certainly worth looking if your skills lend themselves to remote work. I would be looking at 50 miles each way to any of the major tech areas of DFW myself - which is why virtual was so critical to me.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
19 days between posts!

That's gotta be a record?
Nice drought while it lasted. :)

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Why would you even look up a statistic like that? Lol. Dreadful knowledge.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
I didn't. Heard it on a focus on the family broadcast recently.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Oh, you got me there!

That's right in their wheelhouse. So now I'm crawfishin. Foot in mouth

·
Registered
1,157 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Getting approval from my boss for a trip, then having his boss say no. $2000 trip to understand requirements for a $100M order. You gotta be kidding me. Who is going? Marketing, engineering without me, Product Management.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
Getting approval from my boss for a trip, then having his boss say no. $2000 trip to understand requirements for a $100M order. You gotta be kidding me. Who is going? Marketing, engineering without me, Product Management.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
Dude!! I had a mortgage job like that. New boss/team every few months, nobody passed on vacation requests so they always had to be resubmitted. The last straw was when they were requiring me to come in on July 5th, which was a Sunday and I was going to be out of the country that whole weekend, I was notified a week before. "Sorry, it's required"...no you aren't...pack sand. I quit that day.

6901 - 6920 of 6920 Posts