F150 Ecoboost Forum banner

6981 - 7000 of 7028 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
RANT ON

Coronavirus .... my county, along with 5 others nearby have decided to order a shelter in place for 3 weeks. It is effective in 2 hours and 46 minutes from now. Let's see my mom lives 51 miles from me and is moving next week to be closer to us because of health/age. So I will need to violate that shelter in place order ... then we are selling that house, so I need to get it ready, so will need to violate it again or pay the mortgage on it without selling it or renting it.

H1N1 infected 24% of the United States population in 2009/10. This has infected 0.00003% of the world's population since November of 2019. But with this one, we must shelter in place, close the schools, panic, cause mass hysteria and buy all the toilet paper ... Seriously, what is WRONG with these people - those that bought a 6 month supply of Toilet Paper and for those that are trying to lock us up in our homes.

This so overhyped. Social media has BLOWN this out of proportion. The main stream news is doing the same thing. So much FAKE news about this event ... Absolutely ridiculous!

No the rant is not off ... RANT ON!

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
I never dreamed that I would witness a big enough consensus on anything, much less a theoretical "but would if", that would yield such widespread marching towards our way of life peril.

I admit there are competing perils.

But it's like everyone with one view just surrendered to the competing view with little protest.

I'm watching to see what happens, if anything, when the economic carnage starts to affect far more people than the virus does.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
789 Posts
I'm watching to see what happens, if anything, when the economic carnage starts to affect far more people than the virus does.
In 6 months, most of this will be over. We'll have an indeterminate number of dead as a result, but I don't see us getting to a point where mass graves are necessary. Net-net, we will actually save lives with the reducing in traffic fatalities, reduction in pollution, etc.
In 12-18 months, we'll have a vaccine. There's some decent chance that it will become a yearly thing, just like flu.
But the economic implications will fester for years. Many people will go bankrupt in this process. If other countries want to yank or chain, we may well surrender our position as the leading economic superpower on the plant. And that will be the real legacy of this virus.

Or, we're all going to die. But I doubt it.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
We were supposed to bring our son to MonsterJam in Las Vegas and were gunna hit Valley of Fire state park and Death Valley while we were down there. That all got cancelled but we were still thinking about trying to camp off the grid(IE extremely isolated). But now we just don't think its a good idea at all. Who knows what is gunna happen in the next week.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I guarantee you the economic implications have already surpassed the percentage of deaths. This is basically just a different strand of flu. The flu attacks the elderly and those with underlying conditions just like this virus. There is no difference. Just a lot of overreaction and everybody is buying into it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
I don't think everyone is buying into it. That's impossible these days. Everybody is synonymous with unanimous. I will admit enough people have "bought it" that it is presenting itself as accepted consensus.

But I believe there is a sizable percentage that are simply caught off guard at that rapid consensus and don't want to take the heat that protesting would currently draw.

We'll see how long this will be tolerated with such minor objections. Best case scenario, the current strategy gets credit for being effective and we pick up the pieces and move forward.

I don't want to consider worst case scenario outloud. Not yet. I'd likely mar my reputation around here beyond repair.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I don't think everyone is buying into it. That's impossible these days. Everybody is synonymous with unanimous. I will admit enough people have "bought it" that it is presenting itself as accepted consensus.

But I believe there is a sizable percentage that are simply caught off guard at that rapid consensus and don't want to take the heat that protesting would currently draw.

We'll see how long this will be tolerated with such minor objections. Best case scenario, the current strategy gets credit for being effective and we pick up the pieces and move forward.

I don't want to consider worst case scenario outloud. Not yet. I'd likely mar my reputation around here beyond repair.

Hey, this is the what has pissed you off thread. Don't come in here sounding reserved and reasonable. This thread is piss and vinegar.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I guarantee you the economic implications have already surpassed the percentage of deaths. This is basically just a different strand of flu. The flu attacks the elderly and those with underlying conditions just like this virus. There is no difference. Just a lot of overreaction and everybody is buying into it.

Agreed! But if you have a couple of nickles, the time to invest in the market is coming soon!

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
613 Posts
The IRS...

...and the apparent fact that I'm the first one to be pissed off here in the last 28 days.

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
MM,....just ask all OP's how the "Struggle"-lol> is for locating; flour, sugar, eggs, paper towels, & toilet paper?!
Their....that should do it.
Screenshot_20200412-111942_Facebook.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
613 Posts
Don’t leave us hanging. Tell us about the IRS.
I got my taxes filed early in February, and a notice a couple hours after I submitted that my return was accepted. About three weeks later I get a letter from them saying they needed to confirm my identity. Call the number, sit on hold for over an hour, only to have the person that finally answered hang up on me. Call back, another hour on hold, and essentially all they asked me was my name, address, and 2018 AGI.

Today I get a letter in the mail saying they revised my return and I owe them another $139...

As far as the shopping list goes, we've been lucky so far. We just happened to make one of our normal "stock up" trips to Sam's about two weeks before the hoarding started. We've been using it as an opportunity to clean out the shelves and freezer. It makes for some interesting meal combinations sometimes, but no complaints so far.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Yeah, I spent about two hours researching the letter before I called. It's called a "4883C" letter. Apparently it's fairly common.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Well, since we haven't had enough pissed-off lately, I'll add mine. Here's about $6K worth of pissed off. Cruising along a local interstate when I see road debris ahead - big pile of 2x4s dumped off someone's truck. I go right, get away from most of it, but the truck in front of me goes back left too soon and clips one with his left-rear wheel, sending 16' of 2x4 airborne. I managed to get far enough away to not get speared through the windshield, but the left side of the truck paid the price.

All in all, I'm getting a new hood, new left front quarter panel, new A-pillar cover, and new left trailer tow power everything mirror. Just the mirror alone, parts only, is $1,525. ? Plus all the R&R labor and paint. Total bill right now is in the $5,700 range. Comprehensive claim on my insurance, since the fool that dumped the debris was long gone.

If there's a silver lining to the clouds of debris and COVID-19, the body shop I'm using doesn't seem to be really busy at the moment. It went in Monday morning and I should have it back Thursday afternoon or Friday. Not bad, considering.

I've got two middle fingers for anyone who fails to properly secure their load and causes this crap.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Is this where I am supposed to say that will buff out?

·
Registered
789 Posts
But I consider it great news that your countermeasures AND your truck kept YOU unharmed. :)
Yep. Having worked crashes where people (including children) were killed when debris came through the windshield, I'm fine with a little paint damage.

Is this where I am supposed to say that will buff out?
I asked the body shop and they were quite emphatic that no, none of it will buff out. ?

6981 - 7000 of 7028 Posts